[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old were you when you realized that 1984 isn't a dystopian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 1445247197078.jpg (94 KB, 498x432) Image search: [Google]
1445247197078.jpg
94 KB, 498x432
How old were you when you realized that 1984 isn't a dystopian novel; it's a reality novel
>>
we're more Fahrenheit 451 anyways
>>
>>7384128
451 may be the worst book I have ever read.
>>
>>7384030
Oh man I wish.

Strict, hierarchical separation of the classes and a morally vigilant authoritarian leader is the only panacea for our (the west) current ailment.
>>
>>7384131
you sure you know how to read?
>>
File: InANutshell.png (147 KB, 632x270) Image search: [Google]
InANutshell.png
147 KB, 632x270
How old were you when you grew out of atheism?
>>
File: image_32.jpg (52 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
image_32.jpg
52 KB, 700x500
When we read it in high school, I was standing in the lunchline next to my best bud who put up with all the stupid shit I said and I told him this:
>You know how we read 1984 and think about how fucked up it is? What if the freedoms and laws we have seem just as terrifying to what could be an actually free culture?

But I of course didn't believe it when I said it. Just a thought.

After years of contemplating it, I came to the conclusion that dystopian novels aren't about being trapped under a dictatorship, they're about life. We all feel like the guy in 1984, don't we? Like everyone around us is crazy, like everyone is conforming to this giant societal hub and we notice how strange it is and just fit in anyway.

With this enlightenment I decided I could write a dystopian novel about how trapped I felt not only in society, but the universe itself, with death being the only possible relief.

Then I looked up Sparknotes.
>1984 is about government and facism is a bad guy.
>mfw
>>
>>7384030
Nothing but a "the great inquisitor" rip off.
>>
>>7384136
And which class would you belong to?
>>
>>7384030
The whole back 2 reddit maymay is usually unfounded, but I think it is justified here
>>
>>7384030
Similar to OP, in high school after having an edgy circlejerk with redditor classmates. Dissimilar to OP, I grew out of it.
>>
>>7384131
It's a poorly written book, but most /lit/erati probably feel like Guy Montag in a sea of internet addicted plebs who don't even have the capacity to appreciate a genuine thought.
>>
>>7385763
I'd likely be some sort of serf or at best a subsistence farmer, based on my family history and geographical location.
>>
>>7386868
Then why are you arguing about politics? You should just serve the upperclass.
>>
>>7386899
There is no upper class.
>>
File: bg.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
bg.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
>>7386918
>>
>>7386929
Wealth does not imply superiority.
>>
>>7386932
I didn't claim that so either.
>>
>>7386937
s/so //
>>
File: Lucky.png (301 KB, 464x358) Image search: [Google]
Lucky.png
301 KB, 464x358
>>7385409
You could still write your book
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.