[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do books actually make you smarter? Or is that just a load of shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: download (4).jpg (9 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
9 KB, 183x275
Do books actually make you smarter? Or is that just a load of shit?
>>
>>7383473
not if you read pieces of shit like that
>>
>>7383482
What books make you smarter, then?
>>
Not really, you can just parrot something someone said in a situation that you find yourself in.
>>
>>7383483
the cat in the hat
>>
>>7383483
I don't think this is the place to ask how to get smarter
>>
>>7383483
Patrician literary novels.
>>
File: 1421376370121.jpg (8 KB, 249x202) Image search: [Google]
1421376370121.jpg
8 KB, 249x202
>tfw no qt patrician gf to tie up and fug
>>
>>7383510
What about Naomi Woolf, Mr. Bloomfrog?
>>
>>7383515
what about her?
>>
>>7383519
>being this new
>>
>>7383523
I'll have you know my frog folder is 50 mo
really, what about her?
>>
File: 1447986203360.jpg (394 KB, 1024x698) Image search: [Google]
1447986203360.jpg
394 KB, 1024x698
>>7383527
>frog folder
>>
First you would have to have a set definition for intelligence to determine whether or not books make you smarter.

Does reading a novel increase your critical thinking skills? No. Will reading more increase your vocabulary and reading comprehension skills? Yes.
>>
>>7383483
Practical books, like science and economics books.
>>
>>7383537
>being this new
>not having separate folders for wallaces, frogs, spaghettis and butterflies
How do you even manage?
>>
Books grew me another seven inches
>>
>>7383539
>book
>novel
I meant books in general, not novels specifically.
>>
>>7383527
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naomi_Wolf#Alleged_sexual_encroachment_incident_at_Yale

bitch tried to SJW bloom-senpai and got BTFO
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (34 KB, 366x328) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
34 KB, 366x328
>>7383473
Where did you get info from when you were in school, OP?
>>
>>7383483
No books make you smarter, but anything book that's gonna require a lot of analysis to make sense will probably sharpen your tool set of mental models, reasoning abilities, etc. In my experience, books of poetry or math did the most to stretch my associative and deductive reasoning skills, respectively (seeing as math is basically just long strings of deductive reasoning that coheres into structure, and that poetry is all about a compression of literary figures to create meaning). Also, the books that will probably make you smartest are anything that ties into a hobby; producing analysis is creative in itself, but actually making things is prolly gonna be a lot more helpful (poems, computer programs, whatever) because it allows you to actually learn to speak the language rather than just comprehending it.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.