[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hagakure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: jaeimusa joiusu.jpg (152 KB, 710x512) Image search: [Google]
jaeimusa joiusu.jpg
152 KB, 710x512
After reading books and the like, it is best to burn them or throw them away.
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo
>>
I usually delete epubs after I'm done with them, because I don't want them on my reader hard drive and because I can't read them on my computer. Though I horde good pdfs like semites horde precious metals.
>>
>>7382127
why can't you read epubs on your computer?
>>
>>7382129
how the fuck do you do it, family?
>>
File: perlen.png (224 KB, 325x397) Image search: [Google]
perlen.png
224 KB, 325x397
>>7382126
Amazing to see that at a time when Vermeer painted the Girl with a Pearl Earring this is what Japan could only come up with.
>>
>>7382149
still more profound than "modern" "art".
>>
File: suprematismus.jpg (58 KB, 494x550) Image search: [Google]
suprematismus.jpg
58 KB, 494x550
>>7382166
I wouldn't be so sure. There was some really great stuff happening in the 20th century.
>>
>>7382149
>hurt durr an area of the globes blobs of paint make it better than another
>>
>>7382181
>hurrrr durrrr durr durr hurrr durrr hurr hurr durr
>>
>>7382181
>blobs of paint
I'd hate to see the world through your eyes.
>>
>>7382187
I'D HATE TO SEE YOUR EYES THROUGH THE WORLD
>>
File: 134.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
134.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7382190
Don't worry, won't happen. Here, have some great modern art.
>>
>>7382187
>I base Nations' entire relevance and merit based solely on who produced prettier pictures but I would sure hate to see the world through your eyes!
>>
>>7382149
>>
>>7382196
>I base Nations' entire relevance and merit based solely on who produced prettier pictures

Nah, that wouldn't make much sense, would it? Japanese art even had quite some influence on europeans in the 19th century when it came to the depiction of landscapes and the choice of colors. But you do agree that, let's say, Carraci was aiming a bit higher aesthetic wise than the japanese guy with his farting contest, right?
>>
>>7382130
I just started reading epubs on my computer
http://www.magicscroll.net/
>>
>>7382210
>>
>>7382236
>>
>>7382223
nice thanks m8
what app do you use for tablet btw family?
>>
>>7382246
Nice medieval painting. You see what 300 years difference can mean?
And while I really like >>7382210, it looks like something you could still find in a manga from the 80s. In that sense japanese art has always been a bit inflexible.
>>
>>7382265
Japanese? Inflexible? Never!
>>
File: S1374-1-Edit.jpg (413 KB, 1000x490) Image search: [Google]
S1374-1-Edit.jpg
413 KB, 1000x490
>>7382265
Well, that was a ukiyou-e by Hiroshige, which is a style that directly influenced the development of manga.

I am not saying anything about the quality of Japanese art vs Western art, just that there is as wide a variety in quality of Japanese art as there is in western art.
>>
>>7382294
Fair enough, maybe we should leave it at that.
Btw, without any explanation OPs quote is pretty stupid of course. Could anyone explain in what context Yamamoto Tsunemoto said that?
>>
>>7382306
The literal meaning in and of itself isn't much less stupid for it, but Hagakure is the "Way of the Samurai" - he's saying samurai should not be faggots and focus on martial matters instead.
>>
>>7382176
>>7382195
and some people say retards couldn't be artists.. shame on them.
>>
Never listen to what japanese people say -James Joyce
>>
>>7382130
also you can download the kindle app for free.
>>
>>7382176
To bad Dadaism came along and ruined everything though.
>>
Reminder that Hagakure and Bushido in general a myth/quixotic fantasy. The things he wrote about in the book are the musings of a peace time idealistic pseudo Samurai. During Sengoku, the period he spent jacking off too, these "honorable" warriors of yesteryear spent their time filled with so much dishonorabu acts he would have had an aneurysm.

"We suffered casualties, our forces withered to nothing, and we fled." - Tsuchimochi Nobuhide a 14th century Daimyo who thought it was better to run away so he could later protect his lands. Not face death head on. This was common too and usually forum similar motivations.

In The Battle of Sekigahara Tokugawa Ieyasu won a decisive victory over Ishida Mitsunari. Did he do it on sure honor in accordance with Bushido? No. Decisively no. Only when the "dishonorable", "disloyal" and "cowardly" Kobayakawa Hideaki switched sides and help btfo out his former allies did they win. This is rampant throughout Japanese military history.

And for further proof of his removal from the Samurai he idealized so much compare his emphasis of the sword vs what the Samurai mostly used and one of them actually had a more "spiritual " aspect (archery) that tsunemoto just sort of forgets.

Can you imagine a world in where the basis of the warrior code was written by Don Quixote? Because this is all the hagakure is, a reader of idealized legends and his depression that things suck now.

For further reading (where Bushido is revealed to be meiji) check out

http://www.tofugu.com/2014/12/08/bushido-way-total-bullshit/
>>
>>7382680
>Can you imagine a world in where the basis of the warrior code was written by Don Quixote?
Heh, yes that is exactly what it felt like reading it. Thanks for the additional info
>>
>>7382210

no wonder video games got a jumpstart in japan. they were drawing like pixel artists for a millenium beforehand
>>
>>7382388
what a sad cunt you are...
>>
>>7382126
If a guy looks at you a bit standoffish, strike him down and then kill yourself.
-Yamamoto Tsunemoto
>>
>>7382130
>uses ebooks
>doesn't have Calibre

haram/10
>>
>>7383529
this
>>
>seek death wherever possible. if you have the choice, choose death
>don't die a dog's death

W-which one is it, Tsunetomo-san?
>>
>>7383505
kek
>>
>>7383685
>you're a dog
You're OK
>you're not a dog
Kill yourself

He like a extreme dog person
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.