[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else here /remembersNothing/? Why do I even bother reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Happy-Sad-Frog-08.png (78 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Sad-Frog-08.png
78 KB, 412x351
Who else here /remembersNothing/?
Why do I even bother reading when all the stories fade away in a month to a few snapshots
>>
Because that's how human memory works you dumb frogposter
>>
>>7379026
I remember everything I read, but somehow cannot do basic math. Long division has me completely beat.
>>
>>7379035
same
>>
>>7379026
Because the act of reading is fulfilling.
>>
>>7379035
yeah im a self described math retard im not proud of that fact but its just not my favorite subject. but my reading comprehension is good so im only half retard i guess
>>
ur subconscious will make better use of what you consume than you could so dont worry about it
>>
>>7380598
this.
i find that if i'm struggling with tough piece of philosophy i will understand it in much greater depth after i have finished without being able to articulate it to myself during the process
>>
I don't even understand most of what I read. I don't care. I just read.
>>
For whatever reason, when it comes to reading fiction I turn into a retard. I can never paint the picture in my mind that so many people talk about. I could read a whole page of some fantasy novel and not remember anything I just read as soon as the page turns, but when it comes to non-fiction shit everything gets burnt into my head and I can recall the information for ages. I'll never understand why.
>>
>>7381051
Do you enjoy fiction?
>>
this doesn't seem to be the case with most people, but personally after going through the same things you're describing, my memory has been getting better and better with age.

idk if it was just experience/learning how to use my own brain, or what.

but in any case just keep reading, and hopefully things will turn up.
>>
>>7381189
No. That could be a reason.
>>
>>7379026
I don't think you should worry about remembering every single sentence in a book, so long as they all add up in the end to produce some tangible meaning from it. If you're really struggling or want to know a book as thoroughly as possible, you have to re-read and take notes.
>>
File: emerson.jpg (232 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
emerson.jpg
232 KB, 960x640
>>7379026

Same here. I think we remember them better than we realize though.
>>
it's not about the details, it's about the emotions that you derive from it. There are books I've read once and remember feeling a certain way about it and that made it worth reading. Then there are books that I adore and have my favorite little scenes and moments memorized like a child and their favorite movie
>>
>>7379035
I used to be math retarded, failed precal twice in college, then I stopped being retarded, took it a third time made an A, then took Cal 1 and 2 and made B's.
>>
>>7381788
how did you stop being math retarded? math retard here
>>
>>7381816
Not him, but the stick on /sci/ has good textbooks. I'd also recommend Khan Academy and reading the book A Mind For Numbers
>>
I often don't remember shit until I reread
I have bad reading comprehension and usually my first time through feels very spotty and like an uphill struggle

I read Moby Dick just over a year ago and it's very very murky in my mind already
>>
>>7379035
I know higher level calc but have forgotten how to do long division and basic arithmetic, I fucking numbers.
>>
>>7381847
fucking hate*
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.