[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think this is a fantastic novel? Best book I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Horns5-copy.jpg (313 KB, 1838x2775) Image search: [Google]
Horns5-copy.jpg
313 KB, 1838x2775
Anyone else think this is a fantastic novel? Best book I've ever bought on impulse.

Also Joe Hill general thread.
>>
Yes I actually really enjoyed it. Movie sucked dick.
>>
>>7378304
I didn't think the movie was completely horrible, but it definitely didn't stick to the book enough. The book worked because it explained everything- I feel like I would have missed a lot in the movie if I hadn't read the book first and that pretty much means it failed as an adaptation.
>>
>>7378304
Deja vu
>>
>>7378169
Surprisingly enjoyable book from Stephen King's wittle boy. And yeah, the movie fucking sucked. It had no idea what it was trying to do.
>>
I loved it. Kinda bummed to hear the movie's so bad. I wanted to watch it. Also kinda expecting it tho, because it's an interesting premise and I heard about it only through coincidence.
>>
I read that ghost story by Hill at some point (Heart Shaped Box?) and I wasn't impressed with it. It was decent, but nothing I'd recommend to anyone.

This book killed it though. I was worried it was going to be cringey, but I still thought the premise was cool enough and I'm glad I ended up pushing through with it because it was really entertaining.

Movie wasn't THAT bad. Only in comparison to the source material does it fall really flat. Otherwise it's a pretty average film.
>>
Stephen King actually named his son Joe King? Bastard.
>>
What I have so far from Hill:

books:
Heart-Shaped Box: It was a bit meh, but entertaining. had some good moments, but felt generic.
NOS4A2: This was pretty good, but I had the feeling that it resembled his father's work in terms of writing for quantity. You could delete ~40-50 pages of this novel and not lose anything really important.

short:
The Devil on the Staircase: Pretty clever story, recommended.
By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain: My favorite short story, highly recommended.

comics:
Locke & Key: This really is a masterpiece. One of the absolute best series of the last 15 year.
Kodiak: Bit meh, but better than avarage.
The Cape: Pretty good.
Thumbprint: Pretty good.
Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland: Its a NOS4A2 companion book, pretty good.

movies:
Horns: It was good, but keep in mind I have not read the book yet.
>>
>>7378169
>Joe Hill general
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0jbe99pE1c
>>
Horns is a good read. I really enjoyed NOS4R2 as well, it's somehow old-school horror in a way that I can't really define but I definitely enjoy, like his daddy's older stuff except not written while on stupendous amounts of drugs.

I'd read his short story collection and Heart Shaped Box before he was outed as Stephen King's son, and I thought it was pretty cool that he'd been writing for a while under that pen name when he could have slapped his real name on the cover, gave a few interviews about being Stephen King's son and instantly got media coverage and far better sales. He seems like a pretty cool, likeable guy.
>>
>Not realizing Joe Hill is the new Richard Bachman
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.