[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important it is to read the bible before getting into philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: images (18).jpg (32 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images (18).jpg
32 KB, 443x332
How important it is to read the bible before getting into philosophy?
>>
>>7376883

Completely pointless unless you've mastered symbolic logic
>>
>>7376883
It's not really that important if your philosophical readings start with the Greeks. That's a different matter by the time you get to Augustine and the other medievals though. You could start with either, or you conclude your Greek and early Roman studies with the Bible.
>>
>>7376883
OP here, this is my plan:
>read a book of general human history (very resumed ofc)
>read the holy bible
>get into philosophy and the history of the philosophical school i am reading more deeply

r8? tips?
>>
>>7376906
humm cool, thanks mate...I know the start with the greeks meme but could you actually name 1~3 greek books to start?
>>
>>7376895
thanks
>>
>>7376909
Sounds fine but it's not a necessity, assuming you start with the greek philosophers.
>>
>>7376915
A volume of Pre-Socratics (Kirk and Raven is my preference), if you'd like to see philosophical inquiry in it's earliest stage, but then the dialogues of Plato. His dialogues Meno, Protagoras, and Gorgias are all accessible and interesting.
>>
>>7376883
Source for pic?
>>
>>7376934
>Pre-socratics. Can be brief, make sure you know about the sophits at well as the most importent ones like Heraclitus.

>Plato. Get a copy of his complete works. Start with socrates' last days dialogues to get a hang of things. From there, you have countless ways to go, read about them and pick one.

>Aristotle
Get a copy of his complete works. Read pretty much chronologically.
>>
>>7376939
humm, just looked for "cruzadea" in google imgs
>>
>>7376955
ceuzades, fuck i hate cellphones
>>
>>7376934
>>7376950
thanks mates
>>
File: 744-5.jpg (26 KB, 419x527) Image search: [Google]
744-5.jpg
26 KB, 419x527
>>7376909
if you want to go hard with the first step, i heartily recommend pic related—peter watson is a very captivating stylist yet very objective historian. i've learned more about history in this book than in every other source i've read, all combined.
>>
>>7376883
Christposter and philposter mixed into one, shitposter.
>>>/his/
>>
>>7377002
inb4

> hiroyuki ## Admin Admin Icon 11/03/15(Tue)21:31:14 No.7318344â–¶
Philosophical LITERATURE is allowed on /lit/.
Religious LITERATURE is allowed on /lit/.

NOT LITERATURE, NOT /lit/.
>>
>>7376991
thanks
>>
>>7376883
0.0% percent necessary or important.
>>
>>7377118
even with theological philosophers?
>>
>>7377129
Not want to sound to cocky, but who needs them? Provided some basic arguments for the existence of God. Can't be proven opfc. Some empty ethics fluff. That's about it. You can read it for entertainment, though.
>>
>>7377137
yes, not saying i do, but people who believe in god do not want/need any proof of it, because they have faith
>>
>>7377146
It's called faith for a reason, faith.
>>
>>7376895
>symbolic logic

This guy knows. Read R.A. Schwualler De Lubiczs
>>
Read sophie's world and then you can start in philosophy.
>>
>>7376883
Holy shit you can literally pick ant point in philosophy and then just go forward backward or sideways from it Jesus Christ. Half of the fun of philosophy is that you can study it non-linear as fuck. I'm so sick of these "hurrrI haven't read x will I get y" threads.
>>
>>7377531
it's like they don't even understand what Descartes was saying about the stone hammer
>>
>>7377597
>its like they don't even know what they haven't even started studying yet
>>
>>7376883
0%
>>
>>7377531
babby, calm your tits, it's a valid question. here's an example

way back when socrates was bringing about the fall of athens by not being based enough to shut motherfuckers up instead of trolling, diogenes supposedly had some motherfucker wander up on his homeless and proud ass during a meteor storm to say
>'these are wandering stars'
to which of course diogenes had his based pun machine tongue ready to respond
>don't lie, my friend, it's not these that are wandering astray, but those over there
pointing out the other bitches who thought they weren't lost. i know you didn't think about posting without knowing how funny that shit is in greek and who jude, the patron saint of lost causes, nigga to jesus christ himself and brother of james the just, was quoting in his greek letter to the people on checking yourself before you wreck yourself when he said they were reserved forever the darkness as wandering stars in verbal form too.
>>
King James bible is great as a book of poetry
>>
File: 1422398168771.jpg (138 KB, 908x540) Image search: [Google]
1422398168771.jpg
138 KB, 908x540
>you won't understand philosophy unless you read EVERY PAGE of Aristotle's dumb opinions
Unless you really like Aristotle/Plato/pre-Socratics (this rule applies to any philosopher), it's not very important to know every detail about their thought, so long as you have a reasonable understanding of their thought. IMO, you could probably just read 'The History of Western Philosophy' and a few key texts to get a good start.
t. someone who started with the Greeks (still a good idea imo, but not essential)
>>
File: Start with the Greeks.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
Start with the Greeks.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>7376915
>pic related

>>7377667
this is a legitimate point, but my fucking sides desu
>>
File: paint 1.jpg (438 KB, 3555x2000) Image search: [Google]
paint 1.jpg
438 KB, 3555x2000
>>7377822
thanks so much
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.