[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What book are you embarrassed you haven't read yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: sloth.gif (1 MB, 312x188) Image search: [Google]
sloth.gif
1 MB, 312x188
What book are you embarrassed you haven't read yet?
>>
Any of the classics that I haven't read yet. I have this weird idea that as someone who likes reading and books, I have a moral obligation to read certain authors.
>>
>>7376876
There's always something. I read Recognitions, but I haven't read JR. I read Wuthering Heights, but I haven't finished Jane Eyre. I've read all of Shakespeare's stuff, but only the abridged Canterbury Tales.
My life is hell, senpai desu.
>>
>>7376876
Das Kapital. Not memeing.
>>
>tfw haven't read a metric fuckton of the classics
>Iliad, Odyssey, Bible, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, War and Peace, Brothers Karamazov, Paradise Lost, Beowulf, Mahabharata...

A-at least I ordered Homer recently...
>>
All of them
>>
>>7376876
being und ur mom
>>
Shakespeare
Milton
Dante
Stirner
Joyce
Dosto

and some more
>>
>>7377123
I ordered literally 2 hours ago too. I bought because it was a hardcover edition with a good translation that was on sale. I didn't thought much if I actually wanted to read. I guess it will server as supports for my monitor in the worst case scenario.

I'm mostly embarrassed that I never finished Dante and never read anything from Tolstói. I also have little to no knowledge about the frenchs, I only read Dumas which is total pleb tier desu

I also very embarrassed about my national literature's knowledge. I'm trying to improve through
>>
>>7376893
the first volume is really good, lots of it is really dry algebra but the historical stuff is brilliant. manages to incorporate biblical and literary references within it
>>
I experience no embarrassment, one can only read what he can at the pace he can. There is some entry level stuff I haven't gotten to that I feel obligation to read before I get any older: Catch 22, Clockwork Orange, Picture of Dorian Gray, and The Lord Of The Rings. I plan on reading these in Jan-feb.
>>
>>7376876
>>7376876
KARL OVE KANUSGARD
>>
My library 2bh.
>>
I'm embarrassed that I've never read a book.
>>
>>7377367
/lit/ - the post
>>
>>7376876

Mein Kampf. Starting up a Nazi underground, so I need to learn from the master.
>>
the divine comedy
don quixote
slaughterhouse five
war and peace
>>
File: 1445644140756.png (673 KB, 640x475) Image search: [Google]
1445644140756.png
673 KB, 640x475
>being embarrassed
>on an anonymous image board
>almost 2016
>>
Well, I've only read 100 books or so, so I'm obviously missing a lot.
But the ones I'm embarrased I haven't read yet are War and Peace, Iliad and Odyssey (I've only read summaries and interpretations), Bible, Ulysses, Lolita, the bronte sisters' works (I only know the stories through word of mouth or movies), Divine Comedy, anything philosophy 101.
I'm lacking in most areas since up to now 90% of what I've read have been spanish/latin american authors.
>>
>>7377515
Only half of these are worth reading. Prove that you are not a pleb.
>>
File: jhj.png (111 KB, 417x234) Image search: [Google]
jhj.png
111 KB, 417x234
I didn't start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7377633
You mean you didn't fall for a meme?
>>
>>7377633
Hahahaha what are you even doing?
>>
>>7377633
I doubt many people started with the Greeks unless they began reading seriously after they first came to /lit/. If you haven't started the Greeks at all though, get off /lit/ right now.
>>
Anna Karenina, Brothers K, War and Peace
Paradise Lost, Canterbury Tales (middle English), Gulliver's Travels
>>
>>7376876
I'm Spanish and I've never read the Quijote.
>>
>>7377592
>>I'm lacking in most areas since up to now 90% of what I've read have been spanish/latin american authors.
Lolita is short and reads really easily, so if you want to knock that one off your list you can do that in a couple of days.
>>
>>7376876
The Bible. I keep waiting to see a cheap King James version for free or cheap in a charity shop.
>>
File: 1391672532522.jpg (26 KB, 256x245) Image search: [Google]
1391672532522.jpg
26 KB, 256x245
About 75% of the books I've bought

My backlog is 5 feet wide and waist high
>>
>The Iliad
>The Odyssey
>The Aeneid
>The Bible
>The Divine Comedy
>Shakespeare's works
>Paradise Lost
>Ulysses
>Maybe Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest
I have this weird idea that you should read books in order of "publication", and never translated, so I'm learning Ancient Greek in order to begin with the Greeks.
I'll probably read the Bible in English and Latin, though.
>>
>>7379168
True. Well, the others also wouldn't take longer than a year (not counting philosophical works) so maybe after IJ which I'm currently reading I'll tackle all of those in a row.
>>
>implying anyone on /lit/ actually reads
>>
>>7379597
>so I'm learning Ancient Greek in order to begin with the Greeks.
This is a joke, right? Falling for two memes at once just can't be possible.
>>
>>7376876
>reading for social capital

delete this board
>>
>>7376876
The bible, i finished numbers and now havent touched it for 4 months.
Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>7377529
>4chan not a place of projectine thine thoughts.
>>
>>7377654
But do I have to start with the Greeks if I'm reading prose, as in, not straight philosophy essays?
>>
>>7379698
Literature and philosophy are intrinsically linked.

I'm not saying that it's absolutely necessary to be well versed in philosophy in order to appreciate good literature, but I do maintain that all good literature has something to say within the bounds of philosophy, some fundamental and metaphysical thesis that speaks to the reader beyond just the words printed on the page.

You will be able to appreciate a good story regardless of whether you pick up on these undertones, but an understanding of philosophy will make the reading experience immeasurably richer.

That being said, don't fall for the "start with the Greeks" meme. Sure an understanding of Plato and Aristotle is essential insofar as they are referenced a lot by other philosophers and authors along with being the foundation for a large portion of Western civilization, but when it comes down to it you're best off starting with a philosopher that deals explicitly with things you're interested in.
>>
>>7379741
Thank you for such a thorough answer!

I have always feared to pick up any modern philosopher thinking that I won't be able to handle it not having read the Greeks, even though I have general knowledge of their ideologies from Wikipedia and various video essays.I'll try to read them now.

And I am aware that philosophy is underneath all literature, I was just doubting if I truly need such immense preparation to grasp it.
>>
>>7377335
that
>>
>>7376876

Paradise Lost, most of Shakespeare, 98% of the Greeks.
>>
all of them
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.