[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, what kind of "cozy" novels would you recommend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: Cozy-Winter.jpg (812 KB, 1079x875) Image search: [Google]
Cozy-Winter.jpg
812 KB, 1079x875
Hey /lit/, what kind of "cozy" novels would you recommend for the winter season? Books that suck you in and make you forget about the real world; preferably classic. Cheers.
>>
Anyone?
>>
It's sort of seen as a kids' book but The Wind in the Willows is about as cozy as it gets. Wonderful writing.
>>
>>7375534
>>7375576

The Count of Monte Cristo.
>>
>>7375534
proust
>>
Would you say that 'On the Road' by Kerouac or any of Steinbeck's novels are cozy?
>>
Mason & Dixon
>>
>>7375609

Steinbeck is extremely cozy mate. Relevant parts of his authorship ranked in terms of coziness, I'd say:

Travels with Charley (probably among GOAT in terms of comfy)
Cannery Row
Sweet Thursday
Tortilla Flat
>>
>>7375583

Mr Toad is absolutely hilarious.
>>
>>7375732

This. I'm only three chapters in and it's already the comfiest book I've read all year.
>>
seconding Steinbeck. his writing style is very relaxed. Kerouac is a bit too ADD if you're looking for something cozy; he keeps you on your toes.

I would recommend "Growth of the Soil" by Knut Hamsun. one of the simplest, most beautiful stories i've read. lovely portrait of humanity
>>
>>7375782

Kerouac settles down a lot more in Dharma Bums (obviously, as he replaced rampant amphetamine use with meditation), and that one is actually kind of comfy.
>>
>>7375787
oh i'm actually very ignorant when it comes to his oeuvre, which is maybe why i said that. for a second i thought On the Road was the only Keuroac anybody every talked about!
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 322x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 322x499
I read this recently and found it to be an excellent book. It's a murder-mystery, but it's pretty comfy nonetheless and full of really nice wintery things.

The prose was also sparse, yet stylistic, and I'm disappointed I've never seen anyone post about it before.
>>
I find Baudolino and Watership Down to be very comfy
>>
>>7375732

My brain is currently being hammered out by 'Gravity's Rainbow'. If 'Mason & Dixon' is in any way a reflection of the former, then I'm not sure how it can be cozy at all.
>>
>>7375823
Don't try man, just let the novel happen to you and it'll be a whole lot easier. It's a comedy.
>>
I really like the Life of Greece. It's a nonfiction history book but it is long and well written and good to read by a fire.
>>
>>7375792
Was planning on heading to the bookstore today. May need to check this one out if it is still in print and popular enough for them to have.
>>
>>7375823
whats that book about
>>
The first thing that came to my mind was Kafka on the Shore. Read that recently and found it to be quite cozy.
>>
>>7375954
It's from McSweeny's, which publishes weird books that may be worth checking out if you like this one, and may or may not still be in business. You can almost certainly get it really cheap anywhere online.
>>
File: 1388263402421.gif (1018 KB, 499x374) Image search: [Google]
1388263402421.gif
1018 KB, 499x374
Since Butterfly is gone, I've taken over the duties of recommending Tove Jansson whenever the opportunity presents itself.
She really has written some of the coziest books in existence.
>>
>>7376070

Does the Groke figure in the written Moomins?

Personal childhood trauma. Still consider the Groke among the most tragic characters conceived in literature.
>>
Mate you need to read Sketches From a Hunter's Album by Turgenev
>>
File: Once_future_king_cover.jpg (38 KB, 252x328) Image search: [Google]
Once_future_king_cover.jpg
38 KB, 252x328
>>7375534
The Once and Future King
>>
>>7376087
I haven't read the books in English so I'm not familiar with the name Groke but I suppose I know what you mean, and yes.
>>
>>7376095

MÃ¥rran.
>>
>>7376097
You could have googled it (same as I could've googled the name Groke), and yes to your question.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.