[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
translation hate thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
this was such garbage.

why do people even bother translating the Inferno in the first place.

I'm embarrassed to have payed almost $10 for this.
>>
>>7375198
cover is dope though
>>
>>7375198
I fell for the meme too. I don't know whether the work is the problem or the translation.
>>
>>7375203
yeah I don't know italian so I'm burning to find out if Dante actually set out to write a light-hearted yet totally serious stroll through hell... with fart jokes.
>>
>>7375198
>why do people even bother translating the inferno
Lol do you actually think like this? Yeah why do anything that's challenging.
>>
I've only read the Finnish translation (the older one by Leino), and it was great.
>>
>>7375211
RRRRRREEEEEEEE

terza rima isn't "challenging" to translate into English. It's impossible. Ciaran Carson is a charlatan.
>>
>>7375211
To be fair, there's something to be said about works that already have 'definitive' translations. Yes yes yes, I know, there's always better (and that's actually true with the large majority of works), but with The Divine Comedy you just aren't gonna get better than Mandelbaum/Cicardi/Hollingdale/Sinclair.
>>
>>7375228
as an italian i confirm this. the translation meme is stupid as fuck but la divina commedia is really impossible to translate
>>
I read the OWC edition of the Comedy and wasn't impressed at all. I'll reread it in French someday to see if it works better like that.
>>
>>7375198

I've only read the Longfellow translation of Inferno. I liked it. Am I missing out by not having read vastly superior translations?
>>
>>7375228
Do you think that a translation must replicate the formal properties of the source text exactly? Come on. A translation is a reconstruction. The Italian is beautiful, and it's a respectable position to take that any English translation of The Divine Comedy is necessarily diminished in some way, but to extend that to say people shouldn't even try is silly.
>>
File: chart.png (2 MB, 2000x7594) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
2 MB, 2000x7594
Pic Related.

I think OP you missed the "point" of this translation.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.