[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best novel with a teenage protagonist? If not what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: Rye_catcher.jpg (70 KB, 223x351) Image search: [Google]
Rye_catcher.jpg
70 KB, 223x351
Is this the best novel with a teenage protagonist? If not what's better?
>>
>>7374937
Really anything. I'd even say harry potter just because there's less whining.
>>
>>7375078
>owwwyyyy, my scar hurts :(
>wahhhh mommy and daddy died :( boohoo
>uuughh i'm just cho chang's rebound :(
>why wont ginny notice me anymore :(
>wahhh my teachers dont like me :(
>wahhhh me godfather died :((( WAHHH
>and so on
>>
>>7374937
First love is desu sempai
>>
>>7374937
this book was a bit rubbish tbqhwyf

I guess it does have a nostalgic 'I was emo before emos were cool and then uncool and then extinct' feel
>>
>>7375078
>>7375096
>>7375258
Sounds like you guys read it too early. I read it at 20 and really enjoyed it.
>>
>>7374937
All the Pretty Horses.
>>
I enjoyed it. I don't know, it was fun to read about someone who had so much freedom at that age and live in such a different world than what I experienced.
>>
>>7375261
maybe, I did read it in my teens. I think I would have enjoyed it for what it was if my retardo english teachers hadn't insisted on drawing out fabricated 'deeper meaning/symbolism/but what is the author REALLY trying to tell us?' bullshit as they are wont to do during those academic years. yes the protagonist was a bit of an annoying whiny faggot with pseudo-delusions of grandeur, but who isn't at that age?

my brother has a visceral reaction to the book though. I don't know if it's because of his low threshold for the aforementioned whining faggotry or the teachers who forced ridiculous interpretations on his english class.
>>
>>7375261
Most of the people who hate it very much or identify with the book deeply read it in high school.

>>7375286
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7375286
>retardo english teachers hadn't insisted on drawing out fabricated 'deeper meaning/symbolism/but what is the author REALLY trying to tell us?' bullshit as they are wont to do during those academic years. yes the protagonist was a bit of an annoying whiny faggot with pseudo-delusions of grandeur, but who isn't at that age?
Hello cross-board tourist and/or reddit!
>>
>>7375291
>>7375293
>this board is comprised of pseudo-intellectual faggots who need to find deeper meaning in things even when there is none
who would have thought
>>
>>7375301
>even when there is none
This is what dilettantes and anti-intellectuals say, disgracing the literature they read. You are disgusting.

>>>/r/books
>>
>>7375301
>this board
So you're not from /lit/, then? Make sense. It seems crossboarders and redditors like you are the only ones who say such stupid things.
>>
>>7375303
>>7375305
I was just kidding. nice job falling for it
>>
>>7375303
>confront the author with purported 'deeper meaning'
>"uuuh, yeah, that's definitely a theme to which I was alluding. the protagonist was totally not just sitting down to sip some tea, haha."
>what a testament to the human experience!
>>
>>7375309
Seriously? Fuck off.
>>
>>7375315
>he thinks this is "deep"
>he posts this after "pretending to be retarded"
>he thinks he knows what the author intended
>he thinks his superficial readings of text are all there is to be gained from it
>he hasn't studied literary theory, aesthetics, or philosophy
>>
>>7375305
beautifully said fellow /lit/fag, have an upboat
>>
>>7375309
the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>7374937
meme book
anything is better than this piece of shit
>>
>>7375324
>upboat
>/lit/fag
>>>/trash/
>>>/r/books
>>>/pol/
>>>/his/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>7375329
>>>/lit/
>>
>>7375309
>>7375315
>hurr durr I was pretending to be retarded xD
>>
File: Eisegesis.png (373 KB, 974x1000) Image search: [Google]
Eisegesis.png
373 KB, 974x1000
>>7375315
>dude le curtains are just blue ;P
I'll take 'doesn't know shit about how exegesis works' for 500, Alex
>>
>>7375323
>Dr. Seuss is a herald of our times that casts light upon the eternal struggle of existentialism tƅh
>now pardon me while I piss into a bottle fɑm
>>
File: No_Fun_Allowed.png (228 KB, 292x310) Image search: [Google]
No_Fun_Allowed.png
228 KB, 292x310
>>7375334
>>
Man, I needed to read this when I was around 14 for school. I liked it then probably because I was a kid, but later on, maybe even one year later I remembered it and tought "that novel was shit", so I tried to read it once more to prove myself wrong. Was 20-30 pages in and, yeah, it's shit. Didn't even bother to go on. But, to each his own.
>>
>>7375339
Where did I say that about Dr. Seuss? I don't use piss bottles. That's /r9k/. You might fit in better there with your idiotic opinions.
>>
>>7375340
So you're just a troll then? Fuck off and leave.
>>
>>7375341
The writing style is shit, as it was meant to imitate the register of a teenager, but taken to hyperbolic extremes. Definitely jarring and rather hard to get used to, though if you can settle in the novel is quite nice. What is the literary equivalent of a 'flick'? It's like a high-quality flick.
>>
>>7375342
that post had deeper meaning than you realized, you massive faggot. if only you had been smart enough to delve into its rich allegorical subtext like a superior /lit/ brain instead of responding like a fucking redditor.

nauseating tƅh
>>
>>7375358
Your post has no discernible value and you have no talent. You're so ignorant that you don't realize your own ignorance. All you're acting as is a spectacle for mockery. Please leave if you want to salvage what little dignity you have remaining.
>>
>>7375362
Only a mindless drone would respond this way instead of searching for the hidden meaning behind those words that you so callously disregard. Even a high school English teacher would have determined their symbolic meaning by now. Your intellectual primitiveness betrays you. Begone from this Himalayan prayer flag weaving board and never return.
>>
>thread up for more than 5 hours
>no 'he rapes his sister, Phoebe'
>>
>>7375457
>thread up for more than 5 hours
>no holden smokes cigarettes
why even mention trivial things everyone who has read the book already knows?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.