[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you live the literary life, /lit/? I wear khakis and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 29
File: camus.jpg (25 KB, 537x360) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
25 KB, 537x360
How do you live the literary life, /lit/?

I wear khakis and boat shoes and a sweater almost every day.

How about you?
>>
>>7371684
I read daily and enjoy it.
>>
I listen to ice clink in my glass.
>>
i write
>>
>>7371699
>>7371687

the only two reasonable answers to this question
>>
>>7371687
we don't like your kind around here
>>
>>7371684
I spend all of my time drinking cappuccinos, smoking, and singing along to Sinatra/Dino/Darin. All of my money is spent on books and I ironically find myself increasingly alienated from people as I learn more about humanity through literature. I only talk to baristas, all of whom find me sociable and charming, wholly unaware that I have crippling self-doubt lingering from my younger years, leaving me unable to avail myself of any of the positive traits I may have succeeded in cultivating in myself. I get mistaken for being almost ten years older than I really am, and am often flirted with by women twice my age who joke that I must have lots of pretty girlfriends, yet I have never even come close to any kind of romantic or sexual interaction with anyone. I turn to books as a medium of socialization which will never be disappointed in or disgusted by me and my awkwardness, ironically making people who see how much I read become ever more impressed with me, and ever more expectant that I'm some mysterious writer type, rather than the lonely recluse that I have actually become. I have unique tastes in a lot of my hobbies, yet have never found a way to capitalize on them to make friends or form romantic connections; any chances to date or have sex I have scorned based on a ridiculously esoteric and specific hierarchy of aesthetic proclivities whose exact origins I cannot understand, but which renders me apparently unable to find anyone, myself included, attractive enough to be worth even meeting.

I have finally given up on actually being happy, now settling for what little feeling I can derive from a masochistic pleasure based on the ever widening disparity between the happiness other people appear to expect me to have and my actual sense of defeat and loneliness. The only feelings even resembling happiness in my life are observations of the palpable irony between my dreams and my reality, such as a penchant for love songs coupled with a certain feeling that I will never be in love.

Now I just shitpost on /lit/ and lie to myself and others in my best efforts to convince everyone that reading is a sufficient substitute for love and life, while doing my best to ignore the pain my heart and mind constantly experience.
>>
>>7371706
>enjoying what you read

Way to challenge yourself.
>>
>>7371765

To read without joy is stupid.
>>
File: 1400982782551.jpg (30 KB, 367x451) Image search: [Google]
1400982782551.jpg
30 KB, 367x451
>>7371763
tldr
>>
>>7371770
Hallmark cards are literature.
>>
>>7371765
No. I enjoy the act of reading. I enjoy most of the books I read as well, but not all.
>>
>>7371784
>avoiding painful thinking

plebs
>>
>>7371786
OK. What would you recommend? :)
>>
>>7371789
That you go back to whatever pleases you.

Don't mind me.
>>
>>7371790
No, I would like to know what books you perceive as challenging so that I could escape my pitiful existence as one who enjoys the act of reading.
>>
>>7371796
try writing something actually challenging to read
>>
File: Stewie mouth.png (65 KB, 171x147) Image search: [Google]
Stewie mouth.png
65 KB, 171x147
>>7371699
>>7371687
"No"
"Wrong"
>>
>>7371684

>I observe and document trends, rising and falling upon the tides of 4chan.org/lit/, seeing which novels are this week commended and the next frowned upon with the most brutal of David Foster Wallace jpegs. With this information I go out into the streets surrounding populous university districts in search of the hippest of hip bars. Once inside, I shuffle my sandles (poorly hiding my socks) at the door. Then, opening my trench coat I pull out my thick-rimmed specs and approach the bar.

>"W-whisky on the rocks!" I say, one hand up, forefinger pointing to the roof for reasons that escape me. He places it in front of me after some time of avoiding eye-contact with other patrons, and I take a sip. The barman, clearly some low-level stooge of society stands staring as I cough and splutter into my glass as a result of the brown liquid hitting my tongue. He coughs. I smile, thinking it odd for him to feel the need to join. Then I realise my mistake and pull out my wallet. People turn as the velcro rips and my shaking hands hand him a tenner. He gives me back less change than anticipated.

>I approach the women in the next room, sitting on leather chairs by the fireplace. I take a seat in their circle of hormones, staying quiet until I finish my drink. They halt the conversation at my arrival but I pay no mind.

>By the time the whisky is reduced to a thin layer at the bottom of the glass my voice is as rough as the hairs upon the back of my mother's thighs. I part my lips and flicker my eyes to catch one, uncrossing her legs then crossing them over again, hearing that sweat meat split apart and form once again.

>“Lolita."

>They look at me with intrigue, one pushes back her hair. I settle myself mentally, yes, my friend, we are off to a good start.

>"Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul." I pause. "Lo-lee-ta." One of them exhales and I lick the spittle upon my lips.

>One of them goes to speak, I interrupt. "The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth."

>They seem to react well, old sport. Soon... soon.

>"Lo." Their heart rates falter momentarily, then spike.

>"Lee." Perspiration I spot upon their foreheads.

>"Ta." Perspiration of other kinds upon their whatsits. I smell it.

>I crack a sly smile. "Slothrop." I say. "Tyrone Slothrop. Nice to meme you."

>Sometime after that I'm engaging in sweet, sweet coitus with undergraduates of the lowest intelligence and highest pretentiousness, and lord, oh lord, it is sweeter than mother's milk itself. Redeemed me lord, you have.

What about you guys?
>>
File: 1447472888060.png (294 KB, 800x711) Image search: [Google]
1447472888060.png
294 KB, 800x711
>>7371804
Thanks for letting me know you are one of the dilettantes who browse this board. The wiki is a good place to start if you wish, but if you don't, please leave this board. Thanks again. :D
>>
>>7371809
basic
>>
The happy trolls are coming!

https://youtu.be/mzRgkD4l7Xs?t=1m40s
>>
>>7371780

No, they're not. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
>>
>>7371763
what's your occupation, aside from lord pretentious mope?
>>
>>7371818
They're a pleasure to read!

So are motivational posters.
>>
>>7371821
Don't get me started on those motivational quote images on FB or Insta lol xD
>>
>>7371824
Sometimes I go crazy like, like, liking everything. So many!
>>
>>7371821

I don't find them very pleasurable. I still don't know what you're getting at.
>>
>>7371836
Idiots seem to come to here around this time.
>>
I spend most of my time looking at the wind
>>
>>7371838

The irony is palpable. Have a nice night.
>>
>>7371763
Way too real. Thanks for this post. I'm a borderline 'normalfag' but I've been reading an insane amount lately. I'm a pretty OCD and manic person and I struggle not to push people away. I don't want to be like you and I think I've been subconsciously romanticizing your type of lifestyle.
>>
>>7371808
Based
>>
>>7371853
>Using the word irony after not having recognized it in action.

Gold.
>>
>>7371853
>Using the word irony after not having recognized it in action.

Fire.
>>
>>7371898
>Shit-posting so fast you fuck it up.
>>
File: hou.png (285 KB, 362x543) Image search: [Google]
hou.png
285 KB, 362x543
If you aren't a disengaged slob who smugly critiques liberal society you are not living the literary life.
>>
>>7371912
Stage 2: a disengaged neet who smugly critques the hypocrisy of those who criticize liberal society
>>
>>7371922
Final stage: A fate embracing NEET who sincerely embraces the inherent hypocrisy of being alive.
>>
>>7371854
don't do it

it's a fuckin trap anon
>>
>>7372015
damn that's darku
>>
>>7371763
may i suggest okcupid (it's probably best you don't go full tindr)
seriously
>>
>>7371684
what does your choice for attire--or any fashion/attire choices, for that matter--have to do with a so-called 'literary life?' this is some of the dumbest shit I've come across in a while. good god.
>>
>>7371684
I quit my job and wrote for a year with my savings. I was a lawyer.

I'm currently working part-time at a Nespresso store while writing, just to keep up with the bills.
>>
Reading, writing, abortive relationships and drinking myself to death.
>>
>>7371684
I don't make friends nor try to get a gf.
>>
>>7372228
Funny. I quit my job and the love of my life to write for a year with savings. I've done almost none of that, but I am neck-deep in depression, which I think makes me quite literary (that was a joke, haha).

I keep telling myself that when I finally bounce back--if I bounce back--it'll make for some really great material! Because it totally will! Right?
>>
>>7371763
>I spend all of my time drinking cappuccinos, smoking, and singing along to Sinatra/Dino/Darin.
This alone made me picture the image of a fedora in my mind.
>>
I'm living abroad in Europe, most of my girlfriends almost push the legal age of consent despite the fact I am in my mid twenties, I have a drinking problem, I never watched TV/ don't know any shows, I enjoy classical music and have had sex with professional singers, violinists, etc, in America I attended private school on a full scholarship and I treat my depression, which is absurdist in nature, by chain-smoking

Come at me.
>>
>>7372255
>abortive relationships
You mean you don't use condoms?
>>
>>7372266
No need, I'm fucking foetuses.
>>
>NEET
>built a little room-within-a-room / castle made out books
>sit in my little bookcave all day posting on /lit/
>nap several times a day
>constantly complain of health problems which do not exist
>no gf
>>
>>7372260
My girlfriend encouraged me. She's a judge and she makes a lot of money, so that helps. I never took a dime from her, though. altough if we were to break up I wouldn't be able to afford the rent.

I was depressed when I was a lawyer because I couldn't write. Of course that, in the last year, I was at times sad, depressed and anxious with money issues, but I was way happier than before.
Writing cures my depression, even if I end up thinking 90% of what I write is, to my standards, pure shit.
>>
>>7372263
>I'm living abroad in Europe

*tips fedora*
>>
>>7372260
>>7372228
Please tell me more.

Age? Location? What are you writing about?
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
File: 1426914258361.png (366 KB, 2136x1900) Image search: [Google]
1426914258361.png
366 KB, 2136x1900
I hang out in graveyards, churches and gothic manors with all the other spooks.
>>
>>7372276
I'm portuguese. I live in Lisbon. I'm writing my frist proper book and I'm also writing a book of poems. The prose book will be long, so I'll probably have at least another year before it's completed. I currently have 15 poems that I deem worthy of publishing, the poetry book will be finished when I hit the 40 poem mark.

It's shitty when I come across friends who have steady careers and I'm there selling them coffee, but I'm doing it so that I can be a writer, make a living out of writing. In portugal it's hard, though. Still, there's the brazillian market. If that opens uo for me in the future, I'm set.

I'm only doing this because I know I'm good and I believe in myself (of course). I'm very demanding with the quality of my own work, though.

It is what it is. I'll make it, eventually. I just have to keep my eyes on the goal, but writing is a very slow proccess. It take s alot of courage. And it took a lot of courage to end up my career as a lawyer. I hated it, though.
>>
>>7372278
its amazing that a brief post on 4chan is enough to convince me that you are a faggot forever. feel free to add that to your resume
>>
File: 1447975310131.jpg (68 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1447975310131.jpg
68 KB, 431x450
>>7372278
>>
>>7372291
I've read this before on /lit/. It's a pasta. relax.
>>
>>7372272
A lawyer with a girlfriend who's a judge. That's pretty good. My "girlfriend" didn't make any money, due to being an animal that I helped rehabilitate and stupidly let myself get attached to. But she's still well taken care of, I suppose, even if I'm not.

>>7372276
I honestly only replied because I saw some guy do the exact same thing as me. I've mostly come to terms with the fact that I'll never be successful, even remotely. The most encouragement I've had in months was a thread on /v/; I said I'd do my best to get a story involving dragons out. I might not ever write a masterpiece, but I feel like if I could do just that, I'd be content.
>>
Sometimes I read literary fiction. Usually I just read scientific papers or texts. "Literary lifestyle" types often strike me as weird, but I can't explain why.
>>
>>7371763
What are these proclivities and aesthetics specifically?
>>
>>7372296
When I met her she was poor as fuck. It's hard to get into "judge school" in Portugal and she did it in her first attempt. She reads a lot too, she's the smartest girl I've met so far. She sometimes reads my stuff and gives my tips. She thinks I can make it. She said numerous times "if I tought you weren't that good I would have never encouraged you".

I'm not the luckiest guy in the world, but I'm pretty lucky in some things in my life.
>>
>>7372287
>I'm only doing this because I know I'm good and I believe in myself (of course). I'm very demanding with the quality of my own work, though.

I relate a lot to this. Good luck to you man.
>>
>>7371684
>>>/fa/
>>>/trash/
>>>/soc/
>>
>>7372272
WAIT I've seen you post this before. There was a thread on /lit/ recently about an American writer who did the same as you, his wife was also a legal professional and he stayed home and wrote while she worked. It took him like 35 years to get hsi debut published. Can't remember the name.
>>
>>7372307
>tfw no supportive gf

Feels VERY bad man.
>>
Resorting to cliched namecalling has no effect on the contemporary NEET. We are economic auto-didacts, self-taught philosophers and gifted visionaries. While others waste their life labouring under the orders of those who see only material cost in life, we pursue leisure above all else, knowing as we do that leisure and time to oneself is the basis of genius. Despite many people disliking the culture and society they help maintain through their work, and despite understanding now that we have only a single life on earth and that any meaning we attribute to it as the result of self-willed or socially-inculcated ideologies, they continue to wake early and trudge to their jobs for one single reason: Guilt. Throughout time religions have taken advantage of Man's guilt, a guilt experienced for no logical reason except that he unlike other animals is a self-aware being whose abstract thoughts conflict with the apparently practical, rational reality he finds himself a part of. We post-guilt NEETs will not bow to internal or external pressures encouraging us to sacrifice our contentment and sensitive dispositions for the sake of attaining money, or womenfolk. We alone stand proudly, detached from but keenly observant of the slave masses who yell at us for not being as unhappy as they are. We alone, we band of true men, defend our right to live a dignified life against those wishing to deprive of us of it. Yes you can mock, you can criticize, you can echo the demands your masters make upon you. But who is likely to regret their lives more? The noble and dignified NEETs who spend their truly precious time reading, pondering, philosophizing and engaging in critical, urgent debate online? Or the miserable, resentful masses, their eyes bloated and sagged by excess folds of skin, their hair falling out and their gums bleeding from stress, their bowels destroyed by a sedentary lifestyle spent at their desks clicking endlessly while their boss breaths down their necks? This is reality. This is 2015. We are the future.
>>
>>7371684
I wear whatever the fuck I want, usually whatever's convenient.

Materialism and vanity is a spook. Everything and anything should be sacrificed in the name of art.
>>
>>7372312
Thank you. I don't write to be famous, I write because I always felt like an artist and this is the art form I chose. I don't write to make money or get to be known. I write to push the boundaries of writing and to try to surpass me everytime I write. I feel that's the only serious way of doing it. Don't half-ass it. Go all-out.

>>7372319
I'm portuguese. I hope I end up getting published before I hit 35 years old. I'm 28.

>>7372322
She's not perfect but yes, she's supportive. Some girls do love you and want the best for you, imagine that. You just have to look for them (and be lucky to find them).
>>
>>7371684
I purposely drink my water room temperature, no ice. also a heavy drug user involved with other forms of art.
>>
File: 1396284016554.jpg (31 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
1396284016554.jpg
31 KB, 500x409
>>7371684
Allen Edmonds boots, flask of bourbon and a good book tucked under my arm. Pretty much set for life.
>>
>>7372329
Joshua Cohen did a similar thing to you at your age. He wrote his debut, "And Then We Came To An End" in 14 weeks (although he did get a grant from his MFA to write for a year). How long are you going to live like this? Will you return to full-time work if you fail to get published?
>>
>>7372341
Joshua Ferris*
>>
I'm an alcoholic
>>
>>7371699
i drive
>>
>>7372338
disgusting poser
>>
>>7372341
I won't. I'm betting it all. However I may write a new, shorter, "more saleable" booj if things get too desperate. Whatever I do I will never again be a lawyer, that's for sure.
>>
File: 1444369840818.jpg (40 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1444369840818.jpg
40 KB, 500x484
>>7371684
I have no real lifestyle as such, as I am a shut-in addicted to posting on 4chan, video games and working out.

My ex-gf (though that may be a bit of a strong word) just asked me to come hang out with her next week, which I am extremely nervous about as I have done absolutely nothing with my life in the year since we last saw each other.
>>
>>7372361
How long were you a lawyer for?

I respect you man. It really is easy to allow your passions to be tamed by the tedium of a safe routine. Also what's the literary culture like in Portugal? Who are some contemporary writers in vogue right now?

i just took a look at this but don't recognize these names: http://cvc.instituto-camoes.pt/contportcult/literature.html
>>
>>7371684
I stay in all day and am depressed.
>>
>>7371808

Frankly not bad, chan clan man.
>>
>>7371819
Nothing. My family is wealthy, and I have no interest in work, so I read 8-10 hours a day.

>>7371854
It's definitely not worth it. Even if you're a writer, literature should not control and define your life. Attempting to replace real social interaction with any substitute will be painful and ineffective.

>>7372065
I checked out tinder and got upset by how unattractive everyone was (including myself).

>>7372305
At some point in the past few years I inadvertently picked up an almost mathematical eye for "classic" physical beauty, e.g., bone structure in the face, depth/width of eyes, leg:torso proportions, etc. Where most people seem to simply say "she's cute" or not, I have a veritable arsenal of physical ideals (also extending to clothes) at hand, which I dole out genuinely caring about them, but knowing that they're probably convoluted defense mechanisms I've contrived. I think that they started as a few early, genuine aesthetic inclinations which soon coupled with my sense of futility in socializing, as these ridiculous standards now totally control even my very thoughts of romantic pursuits; I am ashamed to even imagine being with someone who wouldn't match up to the ideals I have held in esteem for so many years. It's as though I demand perfection so I won't feel so bad about not actually being able to win over even someone who is imperfect.

The irony is that about once a year I will see someone who is truly beautiful, at which point my heart pounds within my chest, the blood rushing to my ears deafens me, and I feel a mixture of shame, self-reproach, and resentment, because I know that my petty aesthetic proclivities which I allowed to prevent me from gaining any kind of romantic experience have left me entirely hopeless in and unprepared for any attempt to interact with the one-in-a-million person standing in front of me. I remain in this state of shock and terrifying stress until the person leave, at which point I soothe my regret and rage over my inaction with the joy of being freed of so great a stressor, as though I've miserably failed a crucial test but am simply glad to not have to deal with it anymore.
>>
>>7372496
>veritable arsenal of physical ideals

Hmm, you seem to be trying too hard to appear clever.
>>
>>7372496
Travel. As a poor person would.

Route 66, maybe.
Godspeed.
>>
quasi-schizophrenia
>>
>>7372496
I like your pathetic style sad man. Are you the British aristocrat?
>>
Alcoholism and writers block mostly.
>>
>>7372287
Good luck buddy. If it all fails, just prostitute your work here in Brazil. It's easy money, I'm telling you.
>>
>>7372496
you're not depressed, you're just a douche
>>
>>7372503
Funnily enough that was among the parts of my post which flowed most easily, but I see what you're getting at.

>>7372513
Why the poverty? Otherwise I'm totally on board.

>>7372602
Ha, I wish. An acquaintance once joked that I am the only person she's met who is out of time and place not merely by a decade or two, but by centuries.
>>
>tfw you get cunted on gin and stumble about your house in your bathrobe muttering to yourself

Literary as fuck.
>>
>>7371684
I regularly skip work and university to write, and the only reason I bother with that crap and social life is to get more experience and to meet new people. Oh and I spend all my money on traveling, drugs and alcohol, and get five hours of sleep on a good day.

Literary as it gets, anon.

>>7371763
>I just shitpost on /lit/
Sums it up pretty well.

>>7371786
>thinks enjoying and thinking don't go hand in hand

>>7372278
>Both my parents are alive and in good health.
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>7372496
However pretentious as you sound, I know that feel.
>>
I failed half of my classes because I was writing instead (that's my excuse, anyway)
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
This is a friend of mine. He kinda does.
>>
For a while I would wake up at noon, smoke weed, and listen to music for the rest of the day. I thought I was living a literary or aesthete life but now I realize I'm just a jack ass.
>>
>>7372278

>I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

>a trader of witty repartee.

Absolute highlights of the pasta. Gets me every fucking time.
>>
>>7372790

That's exactly how I feel.

Except it was heroin.
>>
>>7372278
Where are you from?
>>
>>7372813

It's pasta. Lurk more.
>>
>>7372786
That leans more toward the /v/ and /tv/ lifestyle to be honest.
>>
>>7372786
>all those empty pill bottles in the corner
>>
>>7372809
I keep my drug use limited to weed and psychedelics, mostly psychedelics now since weed just makes me lazy (although I don't think psychedelics make me any more creative or productive or any woo shit like that).

What got you to kick heroin?
>>
>>7372786

What pills are those?

Opiates are /lit/ tier. Benzos are Stephen King tier. Most other things are neutral.
>>
>>7371684
I hate to be the one to inform you, but khakis and boat shoes are not part of the literary lifestyle. Perhaps try joining a fraternity.

Me? I wear an antique smoking jacket and lounge around the house as I read from various novels and poem collections, most of them written by French and Russian aristocrats. That's the literary lifestyle.
>>
>>7372828
>not /r9k/
Y-yeah
>>
File: 1446148825153.png (443 KB, 391x649) Image search: [Google]
1446148825153.png
443 KB, 391x649
Tell people how inadequate I am while at the same time acting superior.
>>
>>7372860
that too
>>
File: 1321054110539.jpg (12 KB, 170x206) Image search: [Google]
1321054110539.jpg
12 KB, 170x206
>>7371808
>>7371763
>>
>>7372786
>has a TDKR copy
>he is a baneposter
>>
>>7372847

It got to the point where even that was a tedious bore. That, and I realized I could and would like to amount to more than piss away the best years of my life chasing lazy hedonism.

Psychedelics are great. If you don't think they do anything for creativity/productivity, have you tried microdosing? I do that every so often. It works like a charm. If it is of any interest to you, there's some preliminary, rather anecdotal research being done on it by James Fadiman. His findings seem to support my own experiences.
>>
>>7371808

Lol'd.
>>
>>7372850
They're antipsychotics
>>
I suffer of social anxiety, live with my parents. I leave the house only few times in the week, spend the day reading, lurking in 4chan and internet in general, listen music and trying write something that worths. I don't find any man who attracts me sentimentally or sexually. And Im a selfish, vain, crazy bitch who eventually remains lonely.
>>
>>7372988
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
no really, what city? I approve of that lifestyle tbqhwyg(to be quite honest with you grill)
>>
>>7372988
That's being a loser. Although it seems close enough to whatever /lit/ pictures under literary lifestyle.
>>
File: henngngg.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
henngngg.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>7371808
>>
>>7372988
Same, except I'm a guy.
>>
>>7372786
I'm sad this guy's balding. Apart from that, but very /lit
>>
>>7372988
>Im a selfish, vain, crazy bitch who eventually remains lonely
this sounds like the girl I'm in love with t b h
>>
>>7371706
This. Everything else regarding "the literary lifestyle" is shitposting to different degrees.
>>
File: DĂĄrligste citat i verden.jpg (146 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
DĂĄrligste citat i verden.jpg
146 KB, 1680x1050
>>7372988
>>
>>7373096
I must be drunk, that was not very /lit/ of written.
>>
>>7371808
Why isn't every response thanking you for this?
>>
File: 878.png (180 KB, 680x330) Image search: [Google]
878.png
180 KB, 680x330
>>7373012
I live in a shitty city of the argentine mesopotamia.

>>7373034
I had a romantic idea of the literary lifestyle, what a fool...

>>7373090
So sad, I hope you leave this hole of misery.
>>
>>7373119
>argentine mesopotamia
Oh Jesus, I am so sorry.

Also nice art skills and I love the dad's face. Although there is a shocking lack of vibrators.
>>
>>7372861
Is that St. Augustine?
>>
>>7371808
Beautiful.
>>
>>7373119
post face villera
>>
>>7373119
what is this
>>
File: 1447633543593.jpg (96 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1447633543593.jpg
96 KB, 960x960
>>7373311
>>
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 207x244) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 207x244
>>7372786
>not a single book in sight
>/lit/ lifestyle
>>
>>7373315
solid 7.5 Âżlibro favorito?
>>
>>7373325
7.5 :') You blind?
>>
I have crippling social anxiety and I deny social events so I can read 50 pages at a time of books I don't enjoy and spend the rest of my day shitposting on /lit/.
>>
>>7373328
5/10?
>>
>>7373316
He sold them for booze
>>
>>7373343
You get as good as nothing for books though.
>>
File: 1445176450885.jpg (66 KB, 1166x731) Image search: [Google]
1445176450885.jpg
66 KB, 1166x731
>>7373337
Alpha as fuck, m8. Fist bump?
>>
>>7373315
What the actual fuck. You are damn attractive … which alone is obviously not enough to prevent you for dying alone as a vain, crazy bitch but shit, with a story like that, one would imagine a marine species living on land.
>>
>>7373358
>with a story like that, one would imagine a marine species living on land.

kek
>>
I read and write and hate myself.
>>
I went out drinking with classmates tonight.

I did a load of shots and threw a glass at the wall and cried while saying I'm not supposed to exist.

Then they asked me what the fuck is up and I told them that I'm living the "literary life"
>>
I tell my therapist I wrote stuff but I didn't.
>>
>>7371687
>>7371699
These are the only real answers desu senpai.
>>
>>7373641
nice, did the same
everyone likes me now :)))
>>
>>7371763
This cuts deep :(
>>
>>7371687
>>7371699
/thread
>>
>>7371808
GOAT post
>>
>>7372513
I second this. Backpacking Europe for three months with no plan was one of the best things for me.
>>
>>7372717
>thinks enjoying and thinking don't go hand in hand

The reward comes after. Like climbing Mt. Everest.

Pleb thinking is pleasurable and requires little work on your behalf.

An example of the latter would be enjoying sci-fi / fantasy novels. Completely unchallenging.
>>
>>7373947
They think I'm a funny fucker, but a lot of them also say they don't understand me. I'm probably going to die facedown in a pile of pages and cocaine.
>>
>>7374540
That's harding thinking, at least the form of thinking justifying the use of the word, it's just reading.

The climb is as much the reward as getting on top, purely end result based thinking is simplistic pleb shit.

>"Oh, I was a good dog and found the stick"
>>
File: 1394492607410.jpg (52 KB, 248x296) Image search: [Google]
1394492607410.jpg
52 KB, 248x296
>>7371808
>>
>go to big chain bookstore
>pick up Mein Kampf, Lolita, and The God Delusion
>waiting in line for ages
>light up a stogie
>start loudly chatting up old ladies and families in line next to me
>thumb through the expensive knick-knacks next to the checkout, knocking several onto the floor, and repeatedly tell my fellow line-goers to “look at all this horseshit”
>complain that there are too few cashiers per customer, allege that this is the fault of “kikes”
>finally reach the checkout
>array the books so their covers are all facing up
>toss them onto the counter in a radial formation, all facing directly at the cashier, a slightly overweight girl in her early 20s
>she looks down at them and pauses, her jaw dropping in disbelief as the fuhrer himself stares back up at her
>blow smoke into her face and ask “some kind of problem, toots?”
>she coughs and nervously stutters the name of the book, as if to verify that someone could ever purchase it intentionally
>“yeah” I reply, before placing my index finger on the cover of Lolita, and leaning across to her side of the counter
>“and this one’s about a pedophile”
>her face is now wan with shock and horror
>“oh my god,” she mutters
>“God’s dead, honey”
>everyone around us goes dead silent
>pick up the books and leave without paying
>no one even calls security
>>
>I sort of quit smoking a while ago but still have the occasional cigarette a couple times a week
>studying geography at university
>work part time as dish washer at shitty italian restaurant that pays me cash in hand, obviously laundering money
>next door neighbour is very well renowned poet in australia, sometimes drink tea with him and talk about proust and mishima
>smoke weed and listen to schoenberg most nights i don't have work
>I've written half a dozen short stories this year
>have a tattoo of blinky bill
>read thomas pynchon in the park on weekends
>>
File: g-k-chesterton1.jpg (24 KB, 245x320) Image search: [Google]
g-k-chesterton1.jpg
24 KB, 245x320
Everybody in this thread needs to read Chesterton's essay "On the Wit of Whistler." It totally destroys the idea of the 'literary life.'

http://www.online-literature.com/chesterton/heretics/17/
>>
I do whatever I want.
>>
>>7374672
I didn't think other people like this occurred in Australia. Who's the poet?
>>
>>7374640
This is among the best things I've ever read on /lit/
>>
>>7371684
At work, when i have free time I read IJ. I work in an office and wear business casual everyday.

I'm currently at page 88 and I get the whole irony deal.
>>
>>7374612
Challenging the unknown is uncomfortable. The reward from the climb comes at the end--the result of hard work. Enjoying it from the beginning is silly, but appropriate for leisure activity.
>>
habitual masturbation
>>
>>7374778
That can result in chaffing.
>>
>>7374780
After about the seventh or eighth time in a day it starts to feel tender, but the pleasure far outweighs the pain and I keep going. My record is twenty times a day, roughly once every forty minutes from the time I got up to the time I collapsed from exhaustion.
>>
>>7374780
confirmed not /lit/
>>
>>7374800
The durability of the strength of skin on a man's penis is a qualifier?

That actually makes sense for this board now that I think about it.
>>
>>7374774
>Challenging the unknown is uncomfortable.
The fuck. How can people be such pussies. THIS is the reason why challenges are so much fun.
>>
>>7374829
I'll have you know that my dick is quite raw.
>>
>>7374866
If you like carnival rides, I suppose.
>>
>>7374873
Let me heal it with my tongue.
>>
>>7371763
How come you have read so much and become so learned about humanities without realizing that love and happiness are just spooks?
Reading the wrong books anon, you're looking for things that are in your mind only.
>>
>>7374899
Many people go through life learning nothing and can only learn through pain(discomfort) inflicted by others.
>>
>>7371808
nice to meme you too.
>>
>>7372988
Damn this is me.
>>
>>7372661
Buddy, it seems that you're problem is that you've gotten everything you wanted and build yourself a little imaginary castle in which you live with your dumb ideals. What the other guy is trying to say is go out and experience the world. The poverty part is sort of irrelevant, but if you truly want to experience travelling you'll have to socialize with locals; and like you probably know the majority of the world is poorer than you. Pretty much, don't go to a fancy resort and lay by the pool reading while being a self-piteous little cunt.
>>
>>7373316
who the fuck still uses paper to read?
>>
>>7374877
;) only if its post ironic
>>
>>7374958
literally
>>
I drink alone, smoke cigarettes and dope, and hate myself.

Now all I have to do is start writing and try to read more than a book a year.
>>
>>7374977
god I'm hard right now.
>>
>>7374705

>other people
are you a fellow /lit/life ausfag?

Um, I don't want to share his name but he's won a bunch of awards and lectured on poetry at harvard in the 80s. I think he's in his late 70s now.
>>
>>7375012
Something like that. I'll do some googling now and try to find him.

Not many Australians, in my experience, know who the fuck Pynchon is.
>>
>>7374990
gross
>>
File: 1447978912488.jpg (30 KB, 534x388) Image search: [Google]
1447978912488.jpg
30 KB, 534x388
>>7374979
>a book a year.
>>
>>7375054

Fair point. When 'Inherent Vice' came out (the movie) most people I know who saw it didn't know it was based on a book which was pretty funny. There was one weird kid I went to school with who read gravity's rainbow in year 12 and said openly 'i don't understand any of this but it's a heck of a lot of fun'.

Where do you live, out of curiosity? I'm a melbournefag
>>
File: 1445640081016.gif (2 MB, 427x240) Image search: [Google]
1445640081016.gif
2 MB, 427x240
>>7374979
>Now all I have to do is start writing and try to read more than a book a year.
>>>/his/
>>
I spend time at the library reminiscing about the books I've read in the past.
>>
>>7375206
Near Melbourne, sort of. More Great Ocean Road way. I spend a bit of time in Melbourne, but mostly Geelong.
>>
>>7375242
Just sitting there quietly, looking at walls and twiddling your fingers?
>>
>>7375253

Not quite. I stare at the ceiling as I sit at a desk behind the fiction section. The librarians and pages rarely seem to venture that far, so I don't feel awkward about being there every day.
>>
>>7374773
Woah, careful there.
>>
>>7371684
Why would I want to conform to some historical ideal of a so called literary lifestyle?
Seems to me something an empty man would cause to himself in the hopes of latching on to some contrived fantasy to neglect the actuality of his life.
>>
>>7371684
Ima try to get hit by a car when im 42 or so. and smoke eweryday
>>
>>7371763

i'm sorry you sound really pretentious and lame

work out. leave your head behind for a while.
>>
File: 1445303524020s.jpg (3 KB, 124x118) Image search: [Google]
1445303524020s.jpg
3 KB, 124x118
>>7371808
Uproarious
>>
File: 1431209247996.png (179 KB, 405x406) Image search: [Google]
1431209247996.png
179 KB, 405x406
>>7371684
By being NEET of course. I spend all my waking hours pursuing enlightenment.
>>
>>7371808
>>
>>7371763
too real
>>
Basically a garbage boy at a hotel, delivering pillows and cleaning up the wine glasses of the booshwa. I spend my weekends at the local bookstore (I live in Portland, guess which one) and am writing a novel about airplane death races.

I smoke weed every day and haven't had friends over in about three months.

Coworker wants to fug in the laundry room on Sunday.

Also reading up on 'my peoples'' history.

Pls notice me.
>>
File: 727.png (13 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
727.png
13 KB, 160x160
>>7376689
noticed
>>
>>7371687
>>7371699
Fuck off to reddit
>>
Elite liberal arts college, joined lit society, now at MFA program in NYC.

Artist GF moving in to my apt after Christmas. will keep writing for next few years or so hoping for the best. Have a private income.

Not to burst romantic bubbles but this is the only lit lifestyle there is.
>>
>>7376718
>Have a private income.
Is this a euphemism for a trust fund?
>>
>>7376718
>Not to burst romantic bubbles but this is the only lit lifestyle there is.

Tell us that when you get anything of worth published
>>
File: 1411755436185.png (62 KB, 1000x984) Image search: [Google]
1411755436185.png
62 KB, 1000x984
>>7376718
>tfw you will never be a part of the urban haute bourgeoisie.
>tfw you'll never have a qt well mannered upper class gf.

Why live...
>>
>>7376689
>Also reading up on 'my peoples'' history.
8/10 :')
>>
>>7371808
bravo!
>>
>>7371687
>>7371699
Only right answers ITT.
>>
I shaved my head and try to ignore the qt tall girl I see at school on tuesdays.
>>
>>7371808
>circle of hormones
>>
>>7376404
thanks, /fit/, but it's big boy talk now.
>>
File: 1448160942566.jpg (23 KB, 356x359) Image search: [Google]
1448160942566.jpg
23 KB, 356x359
i poke smot
>>
File: 1440904651082.jpg (54 KB, 352x329) Image search: [Google]
1440904651082.jpg
54 KB, 352x329
>>7371687
>>
>>7376689
If east cost Portland, lets be friends
>>
>>7371808
Only proper answer desu senpai
>>
>>7371808

Thanks for this
>>
>>7371808
>rough as the hairs upon the back of my mother's thighs.
How would you know that....
are you a mother fucker?
>>
>>7371688
Underrated
Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.