[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christmas Present Suggestions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: christmas-novels.jpg (101 KB, 600x478) Image search: [Google]
christmas-novels.jpg
101 KB, 600x478
Let's help each other find good Christmas books for our family and friends, /lit/!

Post some short info about each person you're looking to find book(s) for, like age, gender, interests, and reading habits. If you're not an anglo make sure to post what country you're from, in case there are other /lit/erati from the same country who have native language suggestions.

Post some requests, and give suggestions for others, to make the whole thing turn round.

I'll start. Need to find gifts for:

-Mum, age 60. A bit of a hippie and believes in homeopathy etc, always reading books on alternative medicine and the latest trendy diets etc. She's fairly well-read and has good taste, though, so I'd like to find something that's actually good.

-My best childhood friend (we've grown apart, though), age 22, likes fantasy, Warhammer, LARP, video games, etc, but still very physically active, prefers audiobooks over reading so that he can paint figurines simultaneously. Starting to become pretty conservative, so I'm thinking I'd find something intellectual and encouraging on that end.

-His sister, ~25, avid reader with pretty good taste in books. Jane Austen fan (of course) and studies historical tailoring (mainly Victorian).

-Her boyfriend from New Zealand, age ~25, extremely historically interested (especially 17th-19th centuries and WW2, and with a focus on military history) and does a lot of re-enacting, but doesn't seem to read all that much (I gave him some books last year but I'm not sure if he's actually read them), so maybe something with more illustrations than text. Quite conservative.

-Their parents, kinda liberal and not too well-read (they read a lot of stupid get-rich-quick-books and the latest trendy quack medicine stuff mainly), in their fifties. These are the hardest ones, as I've not thought of a single good book for either of them yet.
>>
>>7369163
For your mother, get Janeway's Immunobiology.
>>
>>7369170

Hm, interesting suggestion, but she's actually studied medicine and I'm not sure if she'd read it even if she ought to...
>>
George Eliot for the sister
>>
>>7369163
Book of the New Sun for the friend.
>>
>>7369385

That's a great suggestion, thanks!
>>
ur mom might like Herbert's Dune. It has all these weird, spiritual, transcendental scenes which appeal to hippies. My mother was also a hippie and believes in homeopathy and she loved it. She might enjoy PDK or Stanislaw Lem, too.

>She's fairly well-read and has good taste, though
Oh, nevermind, then.
>>
>>7369163
>conservative
>intellectual
>>
I want to get a book for this guy I know as a thank you for letting me interview him for a couple articles I wrote.

He's 28. Seems pretty smart, but dropped out of college his first semester because he decided it wasn't for him.

He's a soundboard operator at a local café during their musical performances. He's also in a band that plays Southern Blues/Rock not sure exactly sure how to describe the sound. Look up the song 'Crawlin' King Snake,' they've covered it.

He also has a large hand in a sort of underground "pro wrestling" event held monthly in a nearby warehouse. It's like an episode of WWE acted out by him and a bunch of other dudes and they invite people to watch. He's even made trading cards of their different personas.

He's also into like, conspiracy stuff like the Illuminati and The Masons. And various kind of dark arts and Satanic mythologies. He doesn't believe in this stuff, he just finds it incredibly interesting.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>7369967
The Legend of the 10 Elementals or The Illuminatus! Trilogy
>>
>>7369967
>And various kind of dark arts and Satanic mythologies
Hm... Eco's Name of the Rose has a subplot about heretics. He might enjoy it.

Go fuck yourself, google, I'm not a native english speaker and I don't know what a patio is.
>>
>>7369978
>>7370050
I think he'd be more interested in non-fiction.
>>
>>7369967
Get him The Rise and Fall of WCW by Bryan Alvarez.

Solid book about pro wrestling history.
>>
>>7369967
>>7370486

Sorry, got the name wrong. It's The Death of WCW.

Great present for a wrestling fan
>>
>>7370492
I've written this down as a possibility.

I was thinking more of something about demons and cults and shit, though. Anyone got any suggestions up that alley?
>>
>>7369967

The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall will get him set for a few evenings for sure
>>
>>7371622
That looks very promising!
Written by a top-tier Freemason, too.
>>
Male, 21.
He loves piano and studies medicine.
Need suggestions for those two genres.
>>
>>7371695

Make sure you get a good edition with nice prints. A lot of the charm of the book is how beautiful it is.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.