[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /lit/ i want to get into aesthetics and art. is pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
hello /lit/ i want to get into aesthetics and art. is pic related a good place to start?
>>
File: Dead-floating-cow-006.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
Dead-floating-cow-006.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
>go to an art gallery
>stare at painting
>concentrate.. ask it questions in your mind
>keep staring at it
>a portal will open
>walk into it
>you've just walked into hell
>stay there you fag
>>
bump becuese i want to know as well
>>
>>7369052

You might also be interested in Roger Scruton
>>
>>7369052
Yes and no.

I'm making a huge extrapolation based on your wording of 'aesthetics and arts' that you're looking for something more like theory and criticism, in which case the answer would be no (I made the same mistake myself!). But if you're looking to learn about the subfield of philosophy known as 'aesthetics,' then yes, it's a great start of course. Just look at it: "from Plato to Heidegger"? You can't go wrong.
>>
>>7369052
I took an aesthetics class in uni and this was essentially the main textbook assigned for it, so yeah I guess. John Berger's "Ways of Seeing" is another good place to start, both the book and the BBC series.
>>
>>7370782
2nd Ways of Seeing. Also the book "but is it art?"
>>
just read bataille
>>
>>7369052
Might sound a little strange but "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud is actually a really good primer for any kinds of visual representation, not just comics. Less aesthetics, more semiotics but there's a cross over.
>>
>>7369052
Read Ruskin and other critics from the Pre-Raphaelite period.
>>
>>7370782
Cool, I bought that book to supplement the text that I used for an aesthetics class at my own uni: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1405154357/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447991431&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=aesthetics+a+comprehensive+anthology&dpPl=1&dpID=51FAzW7PXuL&ref=plSrch
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.