[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to write a screenplay set in 1712 in rural Britain.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1700s.jpg (128 KB, 550x308) Image search: [Google]
1700s.jpg
128 KB, 550x308
I'm trying to write a screenplay set in 1712 in rural Britain. I have a basic plot outline and a strong thematic and character foundation but it demands this specific setting that I know precious little about. What tips do you have for writing a setting you are not an expert in, and on researching something like this?
>>
It's actually the easiest thing in the world, you only make use of the setting when you need to or when it'll help the action in someway. But otherwise just completely forget that it's set in a different time period. In novels from the 18th century the thing that interests is the relatable human interactions and ideas, not the details of whatever they used to shit in.
If you really want to you can research like a motherfucker and go all out, I think the go to example for this is The Name Of The Rose.
>>
>>7368173
historical movies are usually lot more expensive i doubt anyone would make such movie without some fanbase behind it or smth
your better off making thread on /his/ than here
>What tips do you have for writing a setting you are not an expert in,
dont do it
write about something you are expert in-common sense desu
>>
>>7368173
do the usual. read fiction and nonfiction about that time period.

>>7368221
people are products of their place and time. op might as well change the setting to modern day if nothing from that era affects the characters.
>>
>>7368232
People are always going to act like people, no matter where and when they come from. That's pretty much the whole takeaway from shakespeare using so many varied settings.
>>
>>7368222
>>7368221
OP here
The idea is to keep it very rural, so there shouldn't be any need for splashing out on a set that looks like the OP pic or anything
It's very much an ideas film and morality play, so I agree that much of the time the setting won't actually come up, but there are certain times, especially the third act, when it is absolutely essential to the story and wouldn't work anywhere, or when, else. Suppose I could do worse than read some more early novels from that period, haven't done since I was a lot younger.
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 900x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 900x499
>>7368173
What aspect are you researching? The South American Sea Company in Britain? The death of Richard Dick Cromwell? The slow and steady Sinoization of the English? The unsteady after effects of the Glorious Revolution? Utrecht? British Acadia?

You might start with a film, podcast, or art book dealing with the reign of Queen Anne?
>>
>>7370131
Well to an extent it'd be daily life for the working classes in rural towns of that era I'd be interested in, probably in the Cornwall area. And also the daily lives of the high society, to a lesser extent, and the life steam power pioneer Thomas Newcomen at the time.
>>
If you're striving for 100% accuracy you've already failed, read accounts of and historical books about the time and create your own history whuch best fits the narrative and themes you're trying to create.
>>
>>7370236
Oh I'm not trying to make a historical documentary, I understand that, but suspension of disbelief only goes so far and I want to make sure the characters and the plot are involved enough in their surroundings that it is visceral and human
>>
>>7370252
Shakespeare used items, customs, and settings from his modern time in his historical plays and mostly used just one book for his interpretation of the past.
Dickens likewise used one book and ignored much of what caused the French Revolution in favor of a few fictional incidents that appealed to his reader's empathetic side.
Don't worry, as a writer you have plenty of freedom.
>>
>>7368173
I'm a little bit concerned about how you're going to be representing minorities and women in what is considered by all reputable sociologists to be an extremely patriarchal and oppressive era in British history. Remember, this was the height of imperialism and Stuart period social mores -- accurately portraying the fallacies of these modes of thought will be necessary if you are to be considered a writer with an understanding of the human condition.

If you haven't given any thought yet to your portrayal of socially marginalized groups, now would be a good time to do it. To ignore their oppression would be tantamount to tolerating it, which is disgusting on a moral and intellectual level.
>>
>>7368173
>1712 rural Britain

I cannot understand the obsession white males have with mulling over these periods of yesteryear which had an unequivocally toxic social environment towards minorities and women. Do we really need another film portraying the petty troubles of the rural bourgeoisie? We should be striving to shine a spotlight on the unbelievable plight of marginalized groups during this time period, and demonstrating the genesis of generational trauma that still impacts our society today.

I suggest you think long and hard about what you really want to say with this screenplay before doing anything with it.
>>
>>7368173
Old Photographs. As many as you can.
>>
>>7370305
>>7370379
Here's your reply, now shoo!
>>
>>7370305
Bait aside, one of the main secondary characters is actually black
>>
>>7370421
>photographs
>from 1712
thanks

>>7370379
Because it was the period commercial steam power was invented
>>
>>7370379
I blame Blake
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.