[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any literary detective stories? As in, detective stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: farewell.png (1 MB, 1066x1600) Image search: [Google]
farewell.png
1 MB, 1066x1600
Are there any literary detective stories? As in, detective stories that one can derive real lessons from?

Doesn't have to necessarily involve a detective--just the act of investigating.
>>
>>7365651
Bleeding Edge
>>
>>7365651
Chandler's books are probably the best example. He likely got closer than anyone else in pushing the boundary of genre fiction into the realm of literary fiction.
>>
>>7365651
The Savage Detectives
>>
The New York Trilogy
>>
Start with the first and still one of the best, Poe's Murder in La Rue Morgue. Yeah, yeah, "Zadig" and shit, but the specs on this?:

"The analytical power should not be confounded with simple ingenuity; for while the analyst is necessarily ingenious, the ingenious man is often remarkably incapable of analysis. The constructive or combining power, by which ingenuity is usually manifested, and to which the phrenologists (I believe erroneously) have assigned a separate organ, supposing it a primitive faculty, has been so frequently seen in those whose intellect bordered otherwise upon idiocy, as to have attracted general observation among writers on morals. Between ingenuity and the analytic ability there exists a difference far greater, indeed, than that between the fancy and the imagination, but of a character very strictly analogous. It will be found, in fact, that the ingenious are always fanciful, and the truly imaginative never otherwise than analytic. (3)"

And it has maybe the first man-in-a-gorilla-suit which is one of the most divine literary inventions ever.
>>
others have already mentioned Chandler, Pynchon, and Auster, which are probably the gold standards for this kind of thing, but also: Eco, Hammett, le Carre (really spy fiction, but so far from James Bond it has more in common with the above authors)
>>
File: The-Republic-of-Wine-A-Novel-0.jpg (59 KB, 326x500) Image search: [Google]
The-Republic-of-Wine-A-Novel-0.jpg
59 KB, 326x500
The Republic of Wine.
>>
>>7365955
Murder in the Rue Morgue is only interesting in a historical reading. It pretty much invented the detective genre, but -being such an early prototype- it's pretty shitty by the standards of the genre.

This is coming from a hardcore Poe fan.
>>
>>7365979
also I've never even heard of this but I just found it and it looks bad ass https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawksmoor_(novel)
>>
>>7366042
>Using the phrase 'bad ass' even just once.

Back to Reddit.
>>
>>7366058
are redditors famous for saying "bad ass" or do you just call every word/phrase you don't like "reddit" because you believe in the meme?
>>
>>7366058
>>>/b/
>>
The Name of the Rose is the most obvious example.
>>
>>7366063
It has a very Reddit feel to it, similar to the word 'awsome'.

>>7366071
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7366088
do you ever talk to people not on the internet though? because normal people say "awesome" and "bad ass" a lot and nobody ever yells "reddit!" at them.
>>
Name of the Rose
>>
>>7366088
>awsome
>>>/pol/
>>
I like all of Dan Brown's books. They're awesome and a lot of the characters are pretty bad ass. The movies are probably better than the books though so check those out first.
>>
>>7366097
Some of those 'normal people' are redditors. Besides, normal people have pleb taste too, does that mean that we shouldn't shun plebs?

>>7366110
Good bait.
>>
>>7365955
>And it has maybe the first man-in-a-gorilla-suit which is one of the most divine literary inventions ever.
it's not a man in a gorilla suit, it's an actual orangutan.

it's also a fucking piece of shit and probably the stupidest story i've ever read
>>
>>7366097
>Implying that normal people aren't degenerate proles.
>>
Modiano and Marias
>>
>>7365651
>detective stories that one can derive real lessons from
H-how does this make it literary?

Banville as Benjamin Black, I guess, but I don't know if you meant literary.
>>
damn if I had known everyone would get so worked up I would have just said it looked "good" instead of "bad ass"
>>
>>7366305
I hope this has been a lesson to you.
>>
>>7366184
Oh, I don't mean like "literary fiction," which I think is bullshit.

In fact, I don't know what I meant by literary. Maybe I meant simply something more thematically complex than "Detective Seeks Murderer: Apply Within."
>>
>>7366886
"literary" by itself means that it values form over content, or that the style is designed to elicit a certain emotional response. Banville is a very good writer, despite what he says about his books, and his books as Black are one of those "pathologist finds the answer" series which is what most people want out of crime fiction being "smart".

If you want another series, try Rubenfeld's The Interpretation of Murder, and, The Death Instinct, which play with historical fiction around the turn of 20th Century are very good. I'd say they're gripping but that's a cliche as literary :P
>>
>>7365651
le crimes and the punishments
>>
Oh, on this topic:

I know it's not a detective novel, but has anyone read Galveston? Is it good?

I'm a big fan of True Detective but only the second seasonpls don't kill me and have heard it's tonally similar.
>>
Bumpan
>>
>>7367011
>I'm a big fan of True Detective but only the second season

you're literally retarded
>>
>>7367832
Okay. So how was Galveston?
>>
Gillian Flynn is pretty good. Her mysteries all seem to be about delving into a theme or a character's thoughts, motivations and actions rather than fucking around with forensics.

>>7367011
It's pretty good, it's more of a tone piece than True Detective though.
>>
>>7367896
p shit, pizzolato cant write
>>
>>7365929

This is joke yes? Cliche a sentence Chandler?
>>
>>7365941

yup, this is excellent

also how has no one mentioned hammett or ellroy yet??
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.