[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Identify a saga, please?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Hi, guys, I'm really new here and I have a question:

I have recently translated a book for a publishing house from English (Darkest part of the forest, not really my cup of tea, but I sort of enjoyed the murder scenes), and now they want to give me the start of a seven-part series. The problem is, they didn't tell me the fucking name. I don't know why, I was on the phone with the boss a second ago.

I would like to try and ask you guys if, by the clues I have, you could find the saga so that I can read it in advance and know what the fuck I'm getting into:

>It's a heptalogy
>the second part of the saga has already been filmed
>It's science fiction
>I don't know anything else

Please, help me, I'm really scared, I only did one literary translation so far, and I'm afraid that with school I won't be able to work fast enough (I'm studying translation at school and it's approximately 4 pages every week). I either need a schedule or I need to decline. But first I want to know what I'm getting. Help?

>pic unrelated, fifty shades of Franku
>>
Sounds like John Marsden's Tomorrow Series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_series
>>
>>7365040
Why don't you call your boss back and ask?
>>
>>7365056
Holy shit bruv, that might just be it. If it is so, I'll be damned, I want to translate that!

>...Nevertheless, [Ellie] is often scared and uncertain of her actions

Fuck. Another bitch whining about being in love and then destroying a fucking big-ass enemy. Is it any good?
>>
>>7365061
He's sending the text tomorrow, so I don't want to bother him. Originally called him about my paycheck.
>>
>>7365056
I don't believe a second film was made to that?
>>
>>7365096
He talked about some of it being filmed. He didn't tell me lots, he talked about a movie and how it can be difficult with certain terminology (fucking Translation 101 = always research previous translations). But I think this might be it, it isn't in the language I translate into, and it looks like something they'd get for someone to translate.

But I think I won't take it after all. It's 7 books, I haven't got the time for 7 bloody books. I can make about 1, I did the Darkest Part in the summer, so I had time, now I'm at school and I don't have time. That's the gist of it.
>>
>>7365040
To what language you should translate it?
>>
>>7365121
Czech
>>
>>7365096
They started filming the second movie and it got scrapped or suspended indefinitely the next year.
>>
>>7365130
Where are you from OP? Sounds like a big effort if it is Tomorrow. Aussies are weird, a word for word won't capture everything.
>>
>>7365665
Tomorrow he's sending the original, I have to look at it, say yay or nay and translate a bit. I have loads of time after that.

I'm Czech.
>>
>>7365665
>a word for word won't capture everything
I hope you don't suspect me of a word-for-word approach! Damn, son, that'd be dumb.
>>
>>7366078
Post what happened, please.
>>
>>7366103
You mean from the start? OK:

I was born. I got a job for a Czech bookseller, translating DPotF. It turned out good enough (corrector said it was nicely written, boss said he had nothing to complain about) and he told me he needs someone for a heptalogy. Sci-fi, wouldn't tell me the name of his own volition, so I presumed he forgot the precise name. So tomorrow I'm (most probably, he said that his secretaty will mail me the PDF). I fought the urge to tell him "Just say the name, I'll get a copy". It felt too... unprofessional, to admit to literary piracy. Who's to say I wouldn't upload the books I translate online?

So here I am. Looking forward to a new job, and I found that the Obec překladatelů (an association for literary and all other translators) accepts without questions if the name has 3 or more books tied to it. That way more doors may be open to me after I finish school, not to mention the beautiful work of spreading foreign works to people who otherwise couldn't read them.

>pic related, it's what I listen to when I read something to be translated.
>>
File: folder.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
>>7367092
I think the question is more like "Tomorrow tell us what you finally did."

>pic related, what I recently listed while I try to concentrate.
>>
>>7368413
OK, I still haven't gotten jack shit, but I've sent them a mail asking for the name of the book series. I can find it on my own (yo ho ho and a bottle of rum), and it'd help me as well, I can read up on it. I've gotten the movie, I plan on watching it tomorrow evening.
>>
>>7366103
OK, I've got a response.

The series is called Shannara. I won't say "you got it wrong" because my clues were wrong all along.
>10 books
>haven't even got the copyrights yet, so not sure if I'm doing it
>it sounds interesting as fuck

It sounds even better than Tomorrow when the war began

>Shea Ohmsford is the protagonist of the Sword of Shannara.[17] In the universe, he is the last known person with the blood of Jerle Shannara, making him the only one who can wield the powerful Sword of Shannara to vanquish the Warlock Lord.

>he
>he
>he

Yes. I am fed up with girl-think. Now we're getting into some Fallout-style shit! Oh god, guys, I'm so happy.
>>
>>7369091
The first book is basically Tolkien but done with absolutely no style and verbal beauty. Congratulations - translating it ought to be easy because the prose is dead to begin with.
>>
>>7369091
My sci if buddy grew more and more distraught as he moved through the novels
>>
File: tiempoodiocoleccionista_gr.jpg (327 KB, 1000x1490) Image search: [Google]
tiempoodiocoleccionista_gr.jpg
327 KB, 1000x1490
>>7369093
>tfw no adult fantasy saga will be better than Geralt of Rivia/The Witcher saga.

>>7369091
Wow. It's the first time that I hear of this literary saga. I wish you good luck, mate.
>>
>>7369093
It's almost never easy, even a horrible piece of prose has to be localized somewhere.

>>7369109
I have a motivation to read it. It'll be probably about 5-7$ a page, so not that bad.

>>7369220
I never heard about it either, but I'm a little worried about the terminology (sci-fi fans will RIP you apart if you mistranslate or don't give every weapon a great and awesome name). Thank you.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.