[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suomission
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 318x159
Just finished this, remembered that it was available in English because of the Paris attacks.

What did you think?

Also, I've read almost everything this guy has written, and like it, what should I read next?
>>
that man is skin stretched over a walking blob of tar. have you ever seen anyone look so cancerous before in your life?
>>
Gonna read it soon since I liked The Elementary Particles a lot, and I like JK Huysmans who apparently the protag of Soumission is obsessed with or something, so should be rad for me.
>>
>>7364932

>Judging a person by its cover
>>
>>7364940
Yeah the main character is a huysmans scholar, and their lives have parallels.
>>
>>7364924
>what should I read next?

Alasdair Macintyre and convert to Catholicism. Do what Houellebecq couldn't.
>>
>>7364932
Funnily enough one of the reasons Houellebecq is so controversial is because he looks like shit. Some people said they liked his books until they saw him on TV.
>>
>>7364932
This made me laugh harder than it should have.
>>
>>7364932
Not really, no

I like it though, it's part of the honesty
>>
>>7365614
His books are satire.
>>
>>7365617
No shit
>>
>>7365617
>His books are satire.
lel, satire of what ?
>>
Huysmans, obviously.
>>
>>7365575
But I'm already <spoiler>protestant</spoiler>
>>
>>7364924
I find his style remarkably bland

Started reading it, then he gave tons of lazy descriptions of the protag's past and offhand remarks about nature of education or something

boring as hell

good essay on Lovecraft, would reccommend.
>>
>>7365957
I, for one, find it unremarkably bland
>>
>>7365963
How would you describe his style and what you like about it?
>>
>>7365957
His blanc style keeps him from being a great writer.
>>
>>7366007
>>7365957
I guess one could argue he needs a bland style for his bland content, so maybe but it also bothered me...but maybe that's the point. To shock us out of our blandness.

I've read him in french so I don't know what it's like in english.
>>
He's pretty good. Im halfway through whatever (serpents tale) and read a few others. Submission made my blood boil irrationally a few times.

Hes not bland, hes dreary. He lives in a world without colour. All the exciting things in our lives are bygone in his. Or at least appear chintzy and fake.
His writing is largely cynical and bitter. Protagonists are going through the motions. Women are stupid and predictable.
>>
>>7366739
>Submission made my blood boil irrationally a few times.
why ?
>>
File: houellebecq.jpg (555 KB, 1920x1152) Image search: [Google]
houellebecq.jpg
555 KB, 1920x1152
>>7364932
I like how he looks, it's literally offensive to people. Especially with the dismissive way he writes about women with saggy tits and the like, people just get butthurt with the sheer audacity of him.
>>
>>7367433

one person's audacity is another's ressentiment
>>
Soumission seems pretty utopian desu
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.