[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing programs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: writing-software1.jpg (62 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
writing-software1.jpg
62 KB, 576x720
What's your program of choice for your literary ambitions? Word has become too ugly.

>Does anyone write solely by hand any more?
>>
I draw blood from my own veins to replenish my fountain pen, to remind myself that art is pain.
>>
>>7364494

Merely 9/10
>>
Currently writing in OpenOffice.
Turned off most of the autocorrect/autoformatting bullshit, but occasionally it still turns three hyphens into a page break or something dumb.
>>
>>7364453
>Does anyone write solely by hand any more?
Harold Bloom

"my granddaughter's second trimester fetus had to tell me what the difference between an ipad and an ip man was. i'm hopeless!"
>>
ywriter is pretty good for large projects. It keeps archives of old versions and revisions. Software development style version control is the solution to what Bloom talks about when he says that the delete and overwrite functions in word processing cause us to lose a lot of our literary history.

I like darkroom for the green text on black background. It's very basic otherwise.

Emacs if using linux from command line. Satisfies wordperfect nostalgia.
>>
>>7364453
>>7364508
For a Word replacement, look at LibreOffice. Not as bloated as Word but handles 99% of what Word does. Also an OpenOffice replacement, since OpenOffice was basically killed by Oracle's purchase of Sun a few years ago.
>>
>>7364567
I haven't clicked the little green update arrow in the corner of OpenOffice in years...I wonder what kind of bullshit I've spared myself from.
>>
File: 1447034564110.png (95 KB, 322x325) Image search: [Google]
1447034564110.png
95 KB, 322x325
>not writing in LaTeX
>>
>>7364588
>that guy
>>
I switched to writing by hand. Just get a good notebook and good pens. Once you're in the groove of it you start to see the difference.

I always thought I'd need to type because my hand writing couldn't keep up with my thoughts. Now I realise it was all shit anyway, and I was constantly racing along, just writing whatever came next in mind, the goal being the writing, not the content.

By hand you slow down a lot more and get to really consider what you're writing. I no longer look at the word count and page count and go back over paragraphs I've just written to edit. I just write. Then I might write a whole section all over again, making it better.

It's most likely different for different people, but I know a lot of people who found they benefited from the switch. It might be placebo or some shit, but fuck it, I find it more enjoyable.

Give it a try.
>>
I just use the notes app on my iPhone.
>>
>>7364596
You can just paste plaintext into a template. It's not like you're actually spending much time writing the markup.
>>
File: 1447745446777.jpg (54 KB, 345x336) Image search: [Google]
1447745446777.jpg
54 KB, 345x336
>>7364661
>>
>>7364661
In all honesty, the notes app is a treasure. I can't tell you how many times I've been travelling home on public transport when I'll just type in some ideas or epigrams or poetry down that i'll come back to later.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.