[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is reading a lot required to write something great?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Gustave-Flaubert2[2].jpg (398 KB, 1176x1600) Image search: [Google]
Gustave-Flaubert2[2].jpg
398 KB, 1176x1600
How much reading one have to do to be able to write a great novel? I am always feeling paralyzed to write because i think i didn't read enough.
>>
Essentially, yes.
>>
>>7363131
I'd like to point out that storytelling as an art form existed long before written language. The art of creating engaging characters, gripping stories, and profound meaning is a very broad, general concept that transcends medium. Movies, books, theatre, etc; these are all ways of exploring the same basic concept of story. Therefore, I find it more useful to focus on what makes stories work rather than what makes books work.
I will agree that reading books is always a good thing for a writer, as it broadens the mind and exposes the author to new storytelling techniques. But the same can be said of movies, comics, and even video games. To reiterate my previous point, storytelling transcends medium. I find it more helpful to understand stories in the abstract rather than focus on writing mechanics. You can have the strongest mechanics in the world, but still fail to tell a story because you didn't have a grasp of tropes and their application.
TL;DR storytelling skill > writing skill.
>>
>>7363891

maybe if you want to be a storyteller

but if you want to write, particularly today, you need to read
>>
No, I have read less than 50 books in my whole life, I'm 25 and I am writer who has just finished his first light novel.
>>
>>7363891
a writer needs to read son.
>>
>>7363926
which is why it will be garbage
>>
>>7363926
into the trash.
>>
>>7363926
Do not fall for the b8.
>>
>>7363131
But how many books do you need to read before you can write?
>>
>>7363131
short answer:yes
>>
>>7363131
Yes.
I know of no one who was a great writer and not an avid reader.
>>
>>7364187

Exactly 675
>>
>>7364221
Do picture books count?
>>
>>7364221
And if you read any more than that you'll be ruined.
>>
>>7363131
Probably. But you can't just measure shit that way.

You could read a lot and still be a shit writer.
Schopenhauer used to say that drowning yourself in dusty books alone won't make up for a lack of personal experiences.
So read, and go outside too.

Read some good novels and try to understand why they're good, I guess.
>>
>>7364285
Also get a gf.
>>
>>7364292
Remind that you can never be a good writer if you haven't experienced the depths of passionate love.
>>
Yes but it depends on what you write
>>
>>7364333
You can't live the literary lifestyle without fucking with a poet and shooting him in a wrath burst.

Are yo ready to have an homosexual relation?
>>
>>7363131
Some authors manage to write masterpieces despite reading little purely because they capture a certain 'outside art' aesthetic that still appeals to people. Lispector's Near to the Wild Heart is a perfect example of an author who hasn't read very much managing to write a masterpiece; when people said her work was like that of Joyce and Woolf she didn't even know who they were.
>>
>>7363131
>How much reading one have to do to be able to write a great novel? I am always feeling paralyzed to write because i think i didn't read enough.

Same. I feel like if I start a novel now I will get half-way through, read some piece of canonical shit I missed and suddenly realize my whole outlook was wrong and have to start over, or I won't read it and look like a naive idiot for addressing something already covered in more depth in some previous masterpiece (that i didn't read yet)
>>
Morning glow melts snow
Curvy slope fills with fresh chill
Overflows by noon
>>
Yee
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.