[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what was the thing that Maxine saw in Gabriel Ice's basement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
So, what was the thing that Maxine saw in Gabriel Ice's basement?
>>
Something wacky and ironic
>>
something InSaNeEee, mannn. Remember the sixties? Lmao.
>>
>>7362514
>>7362523
Reading is for FAGS, right? Right? —Ahem, no I read, just not this pomo shit. I can talk intelligently about, like, Franzen and Murakami and Nabokov... I read the first third of Lolita, I can discuss it. So much elitism. Pynchon is just garbled nonsense, deny it. Even I, yes me, couldn't get through that trainwreck called Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>7362547
I got about just as far through lolita before I got bored...the story just fucking drags on and HH just muses over the same shit endlessly. I mean, people read Nabokov for the prose, right? Its great and fun but you can get it after the first hundred pages.
>>
>>7362563
Yeah, brah. It's like all these 'good books' are like not good. It's like just read the wikipedia page. I mean that's what everyone does anyway. If you can talk about it like you read it, then why waste time? —Because that's not the same as reading things. Wikipedia contains flat out gaps and misinformation. So does scholarly analysis. Look at fucking NotPynchon proving that everything to say hasn't been said. —Whatever, brah. Have fun with wasting your time.
>>
Where in the story does this happen, OP? I read it when it came out and I don't remember the exact scene you're referencing. Are you talking about the closet full of Muslims crunching numbers or whatever?
>>
>>7363129
There's a scene she goes to one of Ice's properties with some redneck she meets in a bar. They go to the basement where there are some racks full of bottles of wine and while the guy stays there stealing bottles she goes through a door protected with a password.
She is in this weird apparently abandoned basement when she sees or feels somethings that scares her so she runs away.

It's never brought up again and it just felt weird to me to drop that and not mention it again.
>>
>>7363176
Oh man I remember that redneck and driving to the remote property but I don't remember the basement or the door or the password at all.

I need to read this one again, I'm more and more convinced that the general dismissal of it as minor was totally unjustified. Sorry I can't help you.
>>
>>7363188
Yeah it's not as solid as other Pynchon but it has some great tense moments and the way Pynchon depicts the internet is quite interesting
>>
>>7363204
I wish Pynchon would tripfag here before he dies. I'm not sure if he ever really posted, but I like to believe.

The literature board of an anime website home to "hackers on steroids" seems like a peculiar enough place for the man. If you're reading this Pinecone, just know that our shitposting comes from a place of love/autism /spoiler]
>>
>>7362301
I remember this, it was really creepy. I'm sure it's never explained. I just assumed it was her paranoia about being in a place she shouldn't be and the climax of the slow realization that she would be in danger from whatever was down there.
>>
>>7363176
I thought she saw like a midget or child soldier or something
>>
>>7363228
Like you'd believe it anyway?
>>
>>7362301
So now I know Maxine sees something in Gabriel Ice's basement. I haven't read it yet. Literally fuck you.
>>
>>7362301

The Montauk Monster.
>>
>>7362301
I'm surprised noone has come up with the answer yet. It's Lot 49
>>
>>7363129
WTF man!

Underrated and misread book.
>>
>>7362301
Didn't they describe it? Wasn't it a little floating babby with glowing eyes, and it was some kind of Hindu or Shinto god?
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 250x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 250x195
>>7363682
You mean latke 49
>>
Found it, folks - page 194:

>Oh shit, what's this-- at the next landing down, something's poised, vibrating, looking up at her . . . in this light it isn't easy to say, she hopes she's only hallucinating, something alive yet too small to be a security person . . . not a guard animal . . . no . . . a child? Something in a child-size fatigue uniform, approaching her now with wary and lethal grace, rising as if on wings, its eyes too visible in the gloom, too pale, almost white . . .
>>
It's the white visitation.
>>
>>7365628
aliums?
>>
>>7365640
Are there any other aliums in his books? There kind of are ancient aliums in M&D but I'd say that's different.
>>
This thread deserves to survive desu (desu), bumping
>>
>>7365628
Oh, I remember that now! It's one of the kids the CIA is training to send forward and backwards in time, right?
>>
>>7365628
ayy lmao
>>
>>7365628
Confirmed for Pinecone went on the deep web and saw alium evidence and it scared the shit out of him.

"I've seen footage, I stay noided." - Maxine
>>
Just came to say that Misha & Grisha are my favorite characters in this book.
>>
>>7365990
bumping my own post because I'm 99% sure this is the correct answer
>>
>>7365990
spooky
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.