[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this work as a system of thought? Choose death whenever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Hagakure.jpg (53 KB, 326x475) Image search: [Google]
Hagakure.jpg
53 KB, 326x475
How does this work as a system of thought?
Choose death whenever it presents itself...but at the same time don't die a worthless death? How is that even possible on whatever metaphorical battlefield he's talking about?
>>
You are to beta to understand most likely
>>
>>7361676
Not an authority on this by any means, but if I remember correctly, often the death the book refers to is in Japanese the 'Ego Death', so as to mean you need to be humble senpai.
>>
You are a tool for you lord. Live as if you are dead so that if you must die for him you can do so without effort. You do not get to choose death as in I'm going to choose to have pancakes for dinner. You have to die when the circumstances call for it.

I have no idea what you mean when you talk about metaphorical battlefields, it was pretty straight reading.
>>
File: fear the samurai.png (255 KB, 624x344) Image search: [Google]
fear the samurai.png
255 KB, 624x344
>>7361676
>>
>>7361676
I just finished a shitty translation of this.
One of the only actual philosophy text (other than The Stranger and Nausea) I've read.
I took a bit from it.

I prefer to think of my writing and such as the "lord" and that made it a bit more applicable.

But don't think any one philosophy ever quite "works". It only works in the way it presents itself to you. But if you look further, you'll see the gears slipping.
>>
>>7361796
So on a real battlefield seek out an irrational death, but don't die a "dog's" death? I just feel like it's inconsistent about what kind of death to look for
>>
>>7361831
You can apply the devotion aspect to anything or anyone.
>>7361845
It's more about simply not fleeing because you never know when courage is going to save you. It's mentioned several times in the text that charging the enemy when everything seems hopeless has the potential to save you more often than you think. It's only when you give up the idea of a return on your meritorious deeds that you can actually achieve them.
>>
why is there a biohazard symbol on the cover? is the text supposed to be 'dangerous'?
>>
WW2 propaganda from the musings of an armchair pseudo samurai who would criticize others successes where he himself fell short.
>>
It also just struck me he is sort of ancient oriental Rev Hightower
>>
"To say that dying without reaching one's aim is to die a dog's death is the frivolous way of sophisticates. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is not necessary to gain one's aim.
We all want to live. And in large part we make our logic according to what we like. But not having attained our aim and continuing to live is cowardice. This is a thin dangerous line. To die without gaining one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism. But there is no shame in this. This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling."
>>
>>7362332
Except it dates from the Togukawa period.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.601219124_r8s1.jpg (654 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.601219124_r8s1.jpg
654 KB, 1500x1000
>>7362030

The editor has probably just mistaken the symbol.
>>
>>7362833

If you are arguing referring to it's usage as WW2 propaganda you misunderstood me. It was only ever widely read at this point before this it languished in obscurity with the consensus being much what I said.

If you are refuting armchair pseudo samurai with the Edo period then I am not sure what you are doing. The Samurai in that class system were almost not samurai. It's the equivalent of a court noble going about calling himself a knight and expounding on chivalry during peace time and never having really being utilized as a combatant.
>>
File: mishima hagakure.jpg (9 KB, 131x200) Image search: [Google]
mishima hagakure.jpg
9 KB, 131x200
does anybody have a sauce for this?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.