[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT We Convince Plebs to Read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 1447549469862.jpg (53 KB, 550x359) Image search: [Google]
1447549469862.jpg
53 KB, 550x359
Post your best arguments about the benefits of reading and the reflection, enlightenment, etc. it can bring and why people should read the classics.
>>
i like it, you might like it. maybe not idk idc
>>
Girls find it attractive
>>
>>7359491
>i like to read
>what do you like to do in your free time?

these are actual things i say to actual people. if they also like reading i will ask about the last book they read, favorite books and go from there. if they don't read i don't push it on them
>>
>>7359491
>its cheaper than vidyia, yo
>>
your dead ancestors want to tell you something. if you choose to be deaf, then may you be damned.
>>
>>7359502
i think it puts them off
>>
>>7359547
It really doesn't
Obviously it can't be the only thing you are able to talk about and all you do all day, but reading is definitely a bonus compared to never reading
>>
>>7359502
I remember I used to see people post a lot of shit like "date a girl who reads" articles and pictures posted to facebook. I think I'd like to make up an image that says "date a guy who reads" filled with pictures of writers like Norman Mailer, etc. in the background.
>>
>>7359491
A really well written book can present a more complete and interesting world than most other forms of media. To explain it to the 4chan weebs: just like the manga is usually better thsn the anime, the book is usually better than the adaptation.
>>
>>7359491 the classics are eternal. Hop on that train and try to catch a glimpse what eternal.

Ma man
>>
For Patricians Only
>>
>ITT people who haven't read classics
>ITT people who don't know you read them for the sex scenes
smdhtbh
>>
>>7359630
this desu

But he waved his arms, he shouted with the best of them; and when the others began to
jig and stamp and shuffle, he also jigged and shuffled.
Round they went, a circular procession of dancers, each with hands on the hips of the dancer preceding, round and round, shouting in unison, stamping to the rhythm of the music with their feet, beating it, beating it out with hands on the buttocks in front; twelve pairs of hands beating as one; as one, twelve buttocks slabbily resounding. Twelve as one, twelve as one. "I hear Him, I hear Him coming." The music quickened; faster beat the feet, faster, faster fell the rhythmic hands. And all at once a great synthetic bass boomed out the words which announced the approaching atonement and final consummation of solidarity, the coming of the Twelve-in-One, the incarnation of the Greater Being. "Orgy-porgy," it sang, while the tom-toms continued to beat their feverish tattoo:
"Orgy-porgy, Ford and fun,
Kiss the girls and make them One.
Boys at One with girls at peace;
Orgy-porgy gives release. "
>>
File: I'm a girl btw.jpg (40 KB, 540x359) Image search: [Google]
I'm a girl btw.jpg
40 KB, 540x359
Is more enriching that watching all that canned media point of view. Given the appropriate books, reading can sure lead to new forms of sensibility to see the world, new ways of comprehend situations and a shitload of pleasure, if you find something that you really like.
>>
>>7359528
I hope you're joking.
>>
>>7359565
Why?
>>
>read difficult books
>get better at pulling facts and important info from texts
>score a 36 on ACT reading and cumulative 34

only thing i did to study for it was read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man the weeks prior
>>
>>7359491
If somebody needs arguments to see how reading is beneficial, this person is beyond saving already.

>why people should read the classics
Please no. Most are pretty shit and of little value for todays world.
>>
File: FACEPALM.png (184 KB, 1500x912) Image search: [Google]
FACEPALM.png
184 KB, 1500x912
>>7360269
>Most are pretty shit
>little value for todays world
>>
nothing
they must convince themselves
>>
>>7360269
>Please no. Most are pretty shit and of little value for todays world.
>dick jokes, fart jokes, and sex jokes have a sell by date and it was yesterday
Thanks for letting us know, I could have gone on laughing at them.
>>
>>7359491
>Harry Potter books were better than the films.
>>
>>7360229
not joking
>>
Reading is fun, fuck literary value.
>>
It's entertainment and enlightenment rolled into one package, what's not to like?
>>
File: sartre1.jpg (38 KB, 597x336) Image search: [Google]
sartre1.jpg
38 KB, 597x336
>>7359565
>>7360238
I think it could work
>>
>>7360591
>calmly
>>
>>7363043
Agreed. I love irreverent books like Naked Lunch. I suggest people read what they find interesting even if it's 'Twilight'.
>>
>>7363043
What this guy said. Any other reason is suspect.

Philosophy even is fun as an intellectual high of sorts. Makes you smirk when you follow a complex train of thought to the end and understand it.
>>
File: 1445622512298.jpg (158 KB, 536x805) Image search: [Google]
1445622512298.jpg
158 KB, 536x805
>>7359502

>girl says she's into classics

>ask her what she likes the most about them

>the mythology anon

Not Aristotle. Not Epicurus. The fucking children's tales of Hercules and Theseus that nobody actually took seriously. If she said she was into the cult of Cytherean Aphrodite, or studying to become an initiate of Eleusis, I might be impressed. But, no, she saw Clash of Titans and took a few college electives.

Reading classics for the mythology is like taking a cake and eating only the icing.
>>
>>7364516
That image is saddening. She should look up female-only mlp groups. Those probably exist. Why is that man not wearing pants
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.