[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to avoid this pattern with minimal effort or originality:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Don't have a mentor
Don't follow one character consistently through the whole story.
End the story on any part of the cycle prior to the return.
Kill off the characters at the climax.

(also kinda funny how it's "the hero's journey" when it's completely amoral and works just as well for villains and evil doers)
>>
Ending the story on any part before the return doesn't avoid or subvert the heroes journey when he explicit states and gives numerous examples of it happening. Same with killing of the character. Following more than one character doesn't alter the heroes journey at all and having a mentor isn't an integral part of the heroes journey.
>>
>>7356387

In my story.

> Hero kills the mentor before they can get any help
> Third act is entirely different people
> Hero ends stripped of all power, alone, and homeless in an unfamiliar land

Am I doing it right?
>>
>>7356387
your keming is fucked up
>>
>>7356387
Whatever you think your character should/would do next, do the opposite.

I was always really into detective/mystery fiction, so after I exhausted the major english and french authors, I dove into latin american detective fiction (since I only know english, french and spanish). It is, by far, the genre with the most potential for experimentation within the traditional novelistic format. A lot of famous an/or excellent writers have used the format to create some of their best work (I'm thinking of Pacheco, Leñero, Cortázar, but others like Taibo II and Mendoza have used to for subversive and compelling humanist dramas while keeping a sardonic and playful tone.
>>
>>7356387

uh this meme-template is actually really easy to avoid and just about all classical literature since Shakespeare has avoided it

Just because everyone only reads Tolkien and Harry Potter these days doesn't mean that the past didn't have actual non-retard readers/writers
>>
>>7356479

Well it's more that the pulp derived genre literature that has its roots in the knightly romances follows this pattern.
>>
>>7356417
Literally Brave New World
>>
>>7356387
Look up Dan Haron's story circles. It's this with all the bullshit cut out, condensed down to its purest form/
>>
>>7356417

In my story.

>hero vanishes for a book and companions must carry on without him. Role of hero is shared

>third act is about children of the hero to finish off the major villain with the aid of the heroes digital copy in cyberspace

>
>>
>>7356387
It's called the hero's journey because it was designed following the stories of mythical and folkloric heroes. It just happens that it's a really good analysis of stories in general.

Why does it need to be avoided anyway? As long as you're not being overly literal with it I don't really see the problem.
>>
File: 1369896904921.jpg (80 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1369896904921.jpg
80 KB, 400x400
>Hero decides to stay at home and masturbate
>>
>>7357620
>Golden Sun bad ending
>>
>>7357620

> REFUSAL OF THE CALL
>>
>>7357620
>implying the process of masturbation doesn't follow the Hero's Journey
>>
>>7357600
This though. Its not so bad for a little story to write when you're bored. You can focus on your writing style and doing weird shit with the characters.

Make the hero autistic. See how that'd turn out.
>>
>>7357631
In other words, I should write a story about my life?
>>
File: 1371826690048.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1371826690048.png
386 KB, 667x670
>>7357630
>>
/lit/ should have mods to zap away at fools
>>
Can someone help me my describing all of the archetypical characters? Protagonist, antagonist, threshold guardian, mentor, the goddess, etc.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.