[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I am a product of the internet: an epileptic Flat Stanley
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
>I am a product of the internet: an epileptic Flat Stanley strung out on technicolor heroin"

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7355717
Why do I get the feeling DFW didn't actually say this?

Maybe the fact that he was born in 1962 and there are no results when that sentence is googled.
>>
File: 1428352878822.jpg (11 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1428352878822.jpg
11 KB, 340x340
>I am a product of the internet
Read: a meme
>an epileptic Flat Stanley
Popular American children book character, flat and bland work of pop culture
>strung out on technicolor heroin
Dude drugs LMAO
>>
>>7355735
>>strung out on technicolor heroin
>Dude drugs LMAO

That one is obviously television. He wrote a 100 page essay in Consider the Lobster saying how great television was and how any criticizing it was a moron.
>>
>>7355742
I think you missed the point. He wasn't saying that TV is great, he was saying TV is an enormous part of American life and authors and critics who can't deal with that have got their head in the sand. David always maintained most stuff on TV is just enjoyable trash.
>>
File: tumblr_n4b1qo7hBW1qblgjco1_500.png (147 KB, 400x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4b1qo7hBW1qblgjco1_500.png
147 KB, 400x640
If he did say this it seems to suggest that he thought the internet was making him two dimensional in character and the technicolor heroin he would be addicted to would be the instant reward of most things internet that a lot of people get hooked on.
>>
>>7355722
>Why do I get the feeling DFW didn't actually say this?
He's literally dead, and what ghost projection there is left of him here, I would argue, rather conforms to that sentence.
>>
>>7355722
>the feeling
>googling
it's fairly obvious he didn't
DFW memes are of varying quality my friend, sometimes people just can't come up with a really dank one.
>>
>>7355722
The question was not if he said it, it was what did he mean by it.
>>
DFW was probably the least "product of the internet" of any modern author, dude was a total luddite. no internet connection, didn't own a TV, his last essay (that i read) before he died was all about how he can't keep up with all the information flying about in the age of the internet

also
>strung out
>on heroin
pick 1
>>
>>7357054
>pick 1
Huh?
>>
>>7355722
Some anon quoted it yesterday from Infinite Jest, allegedly.
>>
>>7357054
what essay was that?
>>
>>7357135
Oh as a quote from a character it makes more sense. I thought OP was claiming DFW said it in an interview or something
>>
>>7357135
They have interlace in IJ, not internet.
>>
>>7357100
You get low on h, strung out on uppers
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>7359134
>>7358042
It is not said anywhere in IJ guys.
>>
>>7359142
Are you an idiot?

Strung-out

a. Stupefied from ingestion of or withdrawal from a drug.
b. Addicted to a drug.
a. Severely debilitated from long-term drug use.
>>
>>7357135
I am positive the word internet does not appear in IJ
>>
>>7359156
This is disgusting. Impeccable work if you were attempting to create a character. Shame on you if this is sincere.
>>
>>7359221
It's pasta. Come on, man.
>>
>>7359166
Alright Webster. Colloquially, strung out refers more to the tail end of an amphetamine binge, dgaf what a dictionary says
>>
>>7359441
And idgaf what your normie degenerate drug culture says
>>
>>7359452
fucking squares
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.