[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are these sentences correct?: Put down the gun/Put the gun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Himalayan Balsam seed.gif (2 MB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
Himalayan Balsam seed.gif
2 MB, 294x233
Why are these sentences correct?: Put down the gun/Put the gun down/Put it down

But not: Put down it.

Do you know?
>>
>>7353982
Because the vast majority agree that that wording is confusing and inaccurate and language is based on consensus.
>>
>>7354010
please, there must be a legitimate answer
>>
>>7355480
language is mob rules, just like any human convention.
>>
>>7354010
>>7355487
Fuck you idiots, I don't like this answer.
>>
>>7355494
If you want to quantify it, it's something like

"a pronoun subject must precede its verb, but a noun subject doesn't have to"

Weird rules like this are often rooted in weird aspects of OE case/declension agreement stuff.
>>
>>7353982
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!1!
AM I BEING DETAINED?!?!?!
>>
start with the Greeks (Aristotle)
>>
>>7355503
but that's not correct. because the verb in the OP's sentence is 'put'. 'down' is the preposition.
>>
What is interesting is the placement of the preposition in this sentence and sentences similar. Here you can say:
'Put the gun down' or 'put down the gun'
or 'Take out the key' or 'take the key out'
You can say
'Go in the house' but not 'go the house in'
Why is that?
>>
>>7355528
Maybe because what you're referring to in the former examples are items, and in the latter it's a location (noun)?
>>
File: 911.png (182 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
911.png
182 KB, 442x341
Because it sounds stupid.
>>
>>7355531
hmm, yeah I suppose that is the distinction. Seems sensible enough
>>
>>7355531
That might also answer OP's question.
The reader knows an item has to be "put down". What item?
It seems you can't tell someone how to put "a thing" if you don't even specify that thing.
>>
>>7355503

basically this. 'it' has no accusative form, so it sounds weird at the end of a sentence without a preposition and yet there's no grammatical error because 'it' has no alternate conjugate form.

>>7355522

no. 'down' in this context is an adverb modifying 'put'. consider that if you wanted to specify the command, you'd use a prepositional phrase such as "on the ground"
>>
>>7355528

see

>>7355674

out is also being used as an adverb in your second example, but 'in the house' is a prepositional phrase.
>>
This is so good. I wish we had more /linguistics/ threads either here or /his/
>>
>>7355756
>/linguistics/
>>>/his/
>>
>>7355756

every other day i'm on /lit/ i get caught up in some english grammar fuck. also what makes you think a grammer thread on /his/ wouldn't be banned within 5 minutes?
>>
>>7355793
yeah i know its bullshit the stuff they ban on that board. Despite the name of the board they ban so much 'humanities' discussion
>>
I thought it might be something to do with there being no subject for verb to work on, but in the correct example 'put it down' the words are the same and only the construction is different, so it must be something to do with the order of the words...

I wish I was better with the mechanics of grammar instead of relying on what has become instinct.
>>
It really comes down to whether you poo in loo or not.
>>
>>7355881

there is a subject: whoever the command is directed toward. most of our commands work this way.

also, fucking >>7355674
solved, quit breaking your brain over this.
>>
>>7355920

or well rather the answer's something like "that's not how we structure commands in the accusative"

it really doesn't have much to do with the pronoun itself, as when we compare a sentence like "Leave alone him" or "Ask quickly her". the accepted format for commands is something like "Verb+object+adverb". note that you can end a command with a personal pronoun if it's preceded with a preposition ("Get rid of it"), but there's no accepted verb-prep. pair with 'put' that works with this semantic context.

part of it may be related with the verb 'put' itself. consider that you can't just 'put' something as an isolated action. it requires an adverb or prep. phrase, because it's meaning requires an indirect object or modifier. that is, "[Subject] put [Object]" is semantically meaningless.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.