[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do i start with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 222x227
James Joyce?

i bought Dubliners , Ulysses and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man but idk which one to start with or if i should even start with one of these?

could anyone help?
>>
>>7351797
Do: 49 → V. → GR → M&D
>>
dubliners-> portrait -> ulysses -> finnegans wake

it's so obvious it's almost common sense
>>
>>7351805
the main worry was to start with portrait or dubliners desu senpai
>>
>>7351797
>i bought Dubliners , Ulysses and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

I tried all of these books and they felt like homework. I gave up quickly on all 3.
>>
>>7351805
I did Ulysses → Portrait → Dubliners → Ulysses and have yet to start Finnegans.
>>
Finnegans
Ulysses
Portrait
Dubliners
>>
>>7351797
Pomes Penyeach.
>>
>>7352620
>they felt like homework
Care to explain? I can see how Ulysses can seem like homework and Dubliners does have a very too-perfect feeling to it but Portrait of the artist would probably be considered good even by the plebbiest YA reader (as long as they have ~artistic ambitions~ of course).
>>
>>7351797
Chronological. There's no other right answer.
>>
>>7351797
what should I read before getting into Ulysses?
It's obvious that A Portrait and the Odyssey are needed, but what else?
>>
>>7353453
Just read it. Do you think that Joyce ever thought 'Am I allowed to read this yet?'
>>
>>7351797
Chronologically. Dubliners -> Portrait -> Ulysses.
>>
>>7353453
dubliners, portrait, ulysses and hamlet, that's the basic stuff.
>>
>>7353490
Uh that's probably all he thought about when he was a teenager honestly.that and hookers.
>>
i've only read dubliners, and desu it put me off of joyce, not because it's a bad book but it was sooo boring. maybe it's just because i don't like various short stories tied in one book(i couldn't finsh the decameron too), but this book really felt as a chore, even though i appreciate what joyce was traying to say and understand that he needed for a book to be structured this way.
>>
>>7353490

Joyce was actually extremely elitest
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.