[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw I am going to wait a decade before reading the second
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 570x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 570x576
>tfw I am going to wait a decade before reading the second half of the Quixote

Who /patrish/ here?
>>
File: sudoku.png (186 KB, 287x397) Image search: [Google]
sudoku.png
186 KB, 287x397
>character dies
every time..
>>
I hope you'll read Avellenada's fan fiction a year before you read the second part. Otherwise, get the fuck out of my latifundium, you pleb.
>>
>>7350331

You could hunt down and read a bunch of the fake sequels written during that decade if you want to fully share the original audience's experience.
>>
>he didn't take over 17 years of his life to read Finnegans Wake at the same rate Joyce wrote it

top pleb
>>
>>7351333
More info?
>>
>>7351342
Who said I didn't?
>>
>>7351800
After Cervantes wrote Part 1, several people took it on themselves to continue the story. It's one of the main reasons Cervantes wrote Part 2, to stop people from taking liberties with his story and cashing in on it.
>>
>>7351910
How do I find them?
>>
>>7350331
I'm already two months into this. I don't recall telling anyone about it, though. You serious, by any chance?
>>
>>7351922
Possibly. I think i'll need to digest the first half for awhile at least.

>>7351910
I don't see how the ending of the first half is an acceptable resolution. It even claims that Quixote and Sancho are planning another Sally. Its probably best that he thought to make the addendum, whatever the reason
>>
File: 1407380143272.jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1407380143272.jpg
22 KB, 533x477
>reading serially produced novels at the same rate the parts were published
>>
>>7351916

I'm not sure. AFAIK it's possible that none of them have survived.
>>
>>7351934
>Its probably best that he thought to make the addendum, whatever the reason
Oh definitely. I think Part 2 is much better than Part 1. It does some fascinating intertextual things, in addition to the new way it presents Quixote.
>>
>>7351916
Search for Avellenada's DQ, there should be a scan of an english translation on Wikipedia. (There might be epubs somewhere too, but I haven't found them.)

>>7351910
Are you sure there were more people who did that? In pt 2, Cervantes attacks only one such book, Avellaneda's. Or do you believe in the theory that says that several people wrote the Avellaneda fanfic?
>>
>tfw was originally just gonna take a small one book break between the two halves
>this break has now grown to over a year

might as well take the patrician route at this point desu
>>
>>7352955

I was basing my comment about multiple works on an Introduction I read. I don't remember what it said about the identity of Avellaneda, but it did mention numerous different works.
>>
>dusting off my high school level spanish to read don quixote
hold me senpai
>>
i read infinite jest in two weeks, which is how long it took wallace to write the first draft? so that counts?
>>
>wake up first thing in the morning, start the next chapter
>character goes to sleep after two pages so I have to stop reading until nighttime for full immersion

EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
I was reading the new P.M. Quixote and it is leagues better than Cervantes. When Quixote was giving his impassioned speech on the noble profession of arms I felt the sublime. Brilliant insight with the struggles a soldier so elegantly highlighted are unappreciated work and struggle they go through the absolute and dispassionate replaceableness of the soldier when he falls in battle and then how he is so gloried and honored by all, such paradox.

Then I pulled out my copy of the original and it was some rudimentary rant heard dozens of times before about the hardships of war and how scholars have it easy.
>>
>>7355354
You are the biggest pseud on the board right now
>>
>>7355354
A soldier faces *
highlighted, the unappreciated*
>>
>>7355361

I am OK with my joke and feel no shame. What bothers you about it?
>>
>>7350331
>Quixote
>>
>>7355365
Because you completely overlooked the point of why Pierre Menard's Quixote was deemed more insightful, which had to do with it coming from a 20th century frame of reference.
>>
>>7350331
I downloaded that and it's only 600ish pages long. Are the parts labeled or will I be able to tell when I read it?
>>
File: 1427020191533.jpg (64 KB, 608x960) Image search: [Google]
1427020191533.jpg
64 KB, 608x960
>2015
>not reading Antigone 》Oedipus Rex 》Oedipus at Colonius
Antigone is better anyway
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.