[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After really only reading the Stoics and Plato for philosophy,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151108_174445.jpg (4 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151108_174445.jpg
4 MB, 3120x4160
After really only reading the Stoics and Plato for philosophy, what can I expect from reading Nietzsche?
>>
An interesting but weird fellow with a lot of original thoughts.

You'll most likely either love him or hate him.
>>
You should at least read a quick "history of philosophy" type of book before tackling him, with Stoics and Plato there's A LOT of stuff that's gonna fly over your head.
>>
>>7336468
I'm still going to try to tackle Nietzsche, but can you recommend me a good "history of philosophy" book?
>>
>>7336480
Magee
>>
>>7336491
Noted. Thanks.
>>
>>7336445
has Kaufman done any original writing?
He's so based in translations and explanatory work of other authors.
>>
>>7336445
>what can I expect from reading Nietzsche?

A misreading.
>>
>>7336518
lel, the good old "everyone who reads Nietzsche doesn't really understand him" meme.
>>
>>7336523
Well, modern leftist-whitewashing aside, anyone who's only read the Stoics and Plato is going to misread Nietzsche because of contextual knowledge and, let's be honest here, ability to parse and grasp philosophical texts.
>>
>>7336532
>Well, modern leftist-whitewashing aside

What do you mean white-washing? I've never heard anyone white-wash anything Nietzsche has said. Nietzsche has gained more traction in continental philosophy sure, but that's not because of "white-washing" it's because of his philosophical investigations.
>>
>>7336541
Oh, please...
>>
>>7336548
What about Nietzsche is supposedly white-washed? His vitriolic attitude to equality or what?
>>
>>7336586
/lit/'s backlash against Kaufman is, of course, a bit overdone but in broad strokes it's correct: he tries to make a modern liberal democrat out of Nietzsche. He's trying his darndest and it's just not working.

As for the continentals 99% of them are Christians in all but name and their appropriation of Nietzsche is simply bizarre.
>>
read this oarallel to BGaE, so you can appreciate the references to other philosophical schools that nietzsche didnt name directly. they were also using kaufmann translations and sometimes strauss suggested corrections. but overall he was satisfied.

https://leostrausscenter.uchicago.edu/sites/default/files/Nietzsche%27s%20Beyond%20Good%20and%20Evil_0.pdf
>>
>>7336491

Yes this. (The Story Of Philosophy by Bryan Magee) Also: The Philosophy Book by DK publishing and The Great Conversation by Norman Melchert.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.