[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how did this fucking madman do it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: Goethe_(Stieler_1828).jpg (2 MB, 1972x2432) Image search: [Google]
Goethe_(Stieler_1828).jpg
2 MB, 1972x2432
how did this fucking madman do it
>>
>>7329228
kept a rotting apple in his desk drawer :^)
>>
He just DO IT.
>shia_labelwolf.jpg
>>
>>7329228
Explain. What'd he do?
>>
File: fred.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
fred.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
>>7329235
What is it with 19th-century Germans and fruit?
>>
>>7330138
literally wrote some of the greatest shit up
>>
when you realize people pronounce it geuhteuh
>>
being a manic depressive with high IQ helps a great deal
>>
>>7330187
I've only heard of Faust and Sorrows of Young Werther.
Just read though a bibliography and now I'm curious.
Are there any acceptable translations of some of these things?
Like Iphigenia in Tauris, Italian Journey, or just some collection maybe.
>>
>>7330262
his poetry is where it's at
>>
>>7330262
>Faust

Luke's translation is where it's at,
>>
File: ArthurSchopenhauer-Flipped.jpg (22 KB, 290x358) Image search: [Google]
ArthurSchopenhauer-Flipped.jpg
22 KB, 290x358
>>7329228
FUN
SCHOPENHAUER
FACTS

Goethe and the Schopenmeister were collaborating on a Theory of Colors, but Schope was a gloryhound and so forked off and published his own theory to try to impress everyone. Goethe was like "uhhhh k... ?"
>>
>>7330273
If I could only read German.

>>7330307
Schopps is a jerk
>>
>>7329228
i love how nervous he seems in this portrait
>>
>>7330397
he is a qt
>>
>>7330307
?

Schop. cites Goethe's theory of colors favorably in his Fourfold Root, if I recall correctly
>>
why the average germans are so insufferable and why their best are so sublime?
>>
For the uniformed - me - is it worth reading Goeth in English?
>>
>>7330488
If it is a good translation, yes but not as good as it could be.
>>
>>7330466
You can read about it in any biography. Schopenhauer was acting as Goethe's protege in developing the color theory. Schopenhauer was a bit of a sycophant but eager to surpass Goethe and contested several aspects of the color theory, which Goethe was quite proud of.

Schopenhauer admired Goethe but also wanted to surpass him, and so he kept subtly urging Goethe to acknowledge his rising star of genius as Goethe's was declining, and Goethe didn't want to be one-upped, so they parted ways.
>>
>>7330492
In reality, Goethe was trying to use Schope's intellect for his own ends but Schoppe wouldn't have it and instead published his own findings.

In a series of posthumous letters to some thermodynamics scientist Schopenhauer was found to actually call Goethe absolutely right in his theory of colors though, so there's that.
>>
>>7330480
A perfect mix of Ordnung and transgression.
>>
>>7331154
posthumously published letters*

didnt mean to say that Schope wrote them after he was dead
>>
>>7329228
By being incredibly fucking talented.
>>
>>7330147
The same thing that many fruits on this board have with 20th century Americans like Pynchon, Wallace, DeLillo, etc.

Cultural relevancy
>>
>>7329228
Genius and steady work during a lifetime.
>>
Literally the plebbest writer of all time, closely followed by le sore tummy fruit fetish man
>>
>>7329235
I heard the same about Schiller
>>
>>7332165
You did it anon

You solved literature
>>
File: derpydangerfield.jpg (9 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
derpydangerfield.jpg
9 KB, 225x300
>>7332182
Schiller shills are the worst. The woist!
>>
>>7330226
This guy was a lawyer and then a member of a political counsel and led a formal high society life. He wasn't a manic depressive. Fuck off with this "bi polar artist" meme
>>
>>7329228
I haven't read Faust, but I put The Sorrows of Young Werther down halfway through, most boring shit I've ever read.
>>
>>7331154
but goethe's theory of color is wrong
>>
File: the pot.jpg (16 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
the pot.jpg
16 KB, 400x224
>>7333311
Yes but check that quadz and dubz.
>>
File: image.jpg (829 KB, 2124x1317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
829 KB, 2124x1317
>>7329228
There is an incredible amount of tension in Goethe's work between West and East.... Particularly within Faust. I'm sure society life had a great deal to do with his ability to explore that tension at length, and in such extensive metaphors.

Faust seems like such a rigorous, sensuous critique, yet it's full of human sympathy.
>>
>>7330218
You mean correctly?
If you pronounce it go-th you're an idiot
>>
>>7333272
Wrong.
>>
>>7332308
>led a formal high society life

yeah

so basically he shot opiates all day
>>
File: w.png (922 KB, 641x828) Image search: [Google]
w.png
922 KB, 641x828
>>7333453
Why are women in these classical paintings so incredibly fucking beautiful? We don't create anything even remotely on par in the modern day.
>>
>>7333707
That's Baroque and >>7333453 is late Romantic/pre-Raphaelite (same period as Impressionism) you illiterate plebeian.
>>
>>7333707
postmodernism ruined everything

no but it's because that style is already been done, so the artists who still do it don't become famous until the fashion turns that way again
>>
>>7333725
Sorry, I don't know anything about art, I just like the women. Thanks for educating me though senpai.

>>7333731
Oh, ok.

I feel like slightly chubby and extremely pale women are my fetish, it's a shame that aesthetic has become so unpopular. They all want to have tans now.
>>
>>7333707
Why paint women when you can just take pictures of them?
>>
having a superior germanic brain
>>
File: 1431662541897.jpg (304 KB, 700x932) Image search: [Google]
1431662541897.jpg
304 KB, 700x932
About to finish the Penguin "Maxims and Reflections". Maybe I'll share my extractions?
>>
>>7329228

His poetry is boring. Shakespeare is 1000 times superior to him. Those fuking great metaphors! Goethe's imagery is pale and anemic.
>>
>>7330138
He was one if not the smartest men of all time.
>>
>>7336545

Well, but he was a bad poet.
>>
>>7336540
>Muh metaphor
>poetry is only about metaphors !
>bc Aristotles or whoever said so

This meme was already stale in 2014. And before you tell me you didn't mention Aristotles, yes, I know, I actually made a better case for you point than you did while dismissing that very point. Should tell you something.
>>
>>7336540
You speak German, do you? Native, right?
>>
>>7333746
>I feel like slightly chubby and extremely pale women are my fetish
Reubens original fat white girl appreciation painter.
>>
>>7336736
>>poetry is only about metaphors !
>>bc Aristotles or whoever said so

No, because I said so: I like them.

>>7336823
>You speak German, do you? Native, right?

If your poetry is bad in translation that means that you are not a great poet. Shakespeare and Homer are great even in translation.
>>
>>7336736

What do you think that makes a poem great? can you post some of Goethes best poems? (please, in english trnaslation: I am dumb and dont know German).
>>
>>7333707
the most fedora post i've read in years, ty anon had a chuckle
>>
>>7338159
>If your poetry is bad in translation that means that you are not a great poet.

Or maybe the translator wasn't that good? English, for instance, is completely different to Finnish, my native language, in both grammar and phonology, which already makes translating Shakespeare very difficult, and then you also have to consider the imagery and metaphors, which also vary between languages and cultures.

With Shakespeare it's not that big of an issue though, there are several quality Finnish translations of the sonnets, for instance, but any lesser known poet, which includes even guys like Milton or Blake here in Finland, will be completely at the mercy of the translator. Especially with the relatively low wages of literary translators these days.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.