[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Read 4 books by Camus to see why people like French existentialism.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: jeantel.jpg (287 KB, 1536x958) Image search: [Google]
jeantel.jpg
287 KB, 1536x958
Read 4 books by Camus to see why people like French existentialism. Enjoyed it thoroughly. (stranger, myth, rebellionresistancedeath, therebel)

Started reading Sartre. This guy is complete shit. No matter how I look at it, I don't understand why someone would agree or be moved. Can a pro Sartre fag here explain to me what I am missing?
>>
>>7324700
>>7324700
Ok- let me get more specific.

I feel like Camus wanted to safeguard individualism but individualism that promotes open thinking and care for other humans. It's like he wanted to prove through philosophy that you can be moral without religion (without falling into the nihilism trap)

Wtf is Sartre on about?
>>
You should start with Sartre's plays and short stories. Closed Door, The Flies, Dirty Hands, The Wall, etc.
>>
>>7324761
i'm 3/4s through being and nothingness
>>
>>7324732
you don't get it you fucking idiot. Camus is just a fucking rebel against everything, yo fuck your morals and religion, existetialism BTFO, nihilism BTFO, sucide BTFO, just fuck bitches and have a ball.
>>
>>7324815
nihilist itt
>>
>>7324732
>Wtf is Sartre on about?
Depends, his fiction is stylized gold. His philosophy is revelatory, his concept of Freedom is absolutely liberating (it blowed determinism the fuck out) and he maps out human behaviour to a milimetre by logically working out the limitations and possibilities of our faculties. This nigga makes Camus look like pulp. I found Camus juvenile, at least relatively so, he has none of that magic, no x factor, no vision. Oh and Sartre's fictitious prose is Godly, he's also a master of contrast and perspective, nigger was a stylist of note. respect the one-eyed sage.
>>
>>7324859
did i make a mistake by jumping into being and nothingness?
>>
>>7324875
Hard to say, to a certain, not negligible degree, it depends if you're already somewhat familiar to what's he's talking about -- as with anything, the more susceptible you are to it the easier you'd get the nuances.

The work itself is largely self-contained and he the way he systematically goes through most of his points from top to bottom the reader can not blame him if they do not understand. The only thing which might be objectionable is the density of the writing, but that itself is not a fault (honestly I think it was actually a necessity), just read slowly, look up the words you don't understand, re-read passages which confuse you, and I promise you if you put the effort in, have an open mind, you will be rewarded beyond measure. It took me like a month to read the thing, there's no rush. And I imagine if you don't have as much time as me it could take longer. That time comparison might be confusing, let me rather say that some pages I spent 5 minutes on and some only two. Read it at your own leisure.
>>
>>7324875
Having read no "hard" philosophy before?

Probably.
>>
>>7324958
Which other works would you call hard philosophy?
>>
>>7324980
Things like husserl, heidegger, merleau-ponty, Hegel, Marx.

The people who influenced what Sartre was getting at in B&T
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.