[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you haven't gone through depression then you will never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: oh really.jpg (95 KB, 379x382) Image search: [Google]
oh really.jpg
95 KB, 379x382
If you haven't gone through depression then you will never be a worthwhile writer
>>
>>7323511
Depression probably hurts your writing and work ethic more than helps it
>>
>>7323511
I have no intention of becoming a writer but I am chronically depressed and a completely useless piece of shit. I don't follow your reasoning.
>>
>>7323536
Its one of those situations that involves a lot of greek symbols and colons
>>
>>7323536
necessary but not sufficient, moron-o
>>
>he thinks depression causes writing talent
>he thinks writing talent isn't innate
>he thinks going on 4chan doesn't extinguish the very last chances he will be a worthwhile writer
>he thinks adopting a certain lifestyle will magically makes his writing good
>he thinks the great authors cared about their lifestyle
>he thinks the greatest aspiration of the others is getting published
>>
>>7323553

See

>>7323549
>>
>>7323549
i think you're thinking about "bath houses" not "depression"; i see where you got confused because you were talking about random things on a literature board, but you should amend it just in case any one thinks this is >>>/adv/
>>
>>7323511
Nigga depression is the worst thing that can happen to anyone that wants to do anything.
It completely cripples your ability to be a functional, productive human being.
Fuck off with your romanticized view of a crippling illness.
>>
you have been coaxed into a snafu
>>
>>7323567
I'm guessing there's a reason he used the past perfect
>>
>>7323573
*present perfect
>>
>>7323573
>>7323576
Exactly my point
>>
>gone through

good one

>>7323531

>work ethic

please don't publish
>>
>>7323553
not OP
1. Don't imply this. You're thinking construction, he's probably think content (consult Hemingway)
2. Again, construction vs. content (talent vs. experience)
3. Of course he does
4. He's talking prerequisites, but: Depression? Lifestyle? Adopt? What the hell are you thinking?
5. Of course he does
6. Ah yes, of course
>>
>>7323584
My point: Having experienced depression enriches writing, gives you something to write about.

Your point seems to be that you can't write well while depressed, which is irrelevant
>>
Depression is not a sign of wisdom. Depression is essentially a subjective feeling where all avenues of thought/imagination seem pointless. It is completely stifling, it's the opposite of some sort of creativity. Overcoming it is important but acting as though it is some magical rite that one has to go through is 1. untrue and 2. romanticising an utterly shit thing that in and of itself deserves no respect.
>>
>>7323594
Topics without hyperbole don't get replies
>>
>>7323606
Are you saying that post you just replied to didn't contain hyperbole?
>>
If you are undergoing depression then you will never be a worthwhile writer.
>>
>>7323511
I think you're reversing cause and effect.
Great writers have a higher perceptive sense than the majority. And while this allows them to create works that speak to fundamental truths about humanity, it also leads to neurosis as the world is not a pretty place.
>>
>>7323626
what about proust family?
>>
>>7323560
If Penis: then Queer
Queer: then Penis
>>
>>7323531
This anon has a point because depression is destructive to your motivational drive. That being said, going through an episode and making it to the other side might provide certain insights that someone who hasn't been depressed may not consider.
>>
Plenty of writers are way more talented than you, naturally happy, have never experience depression, bang chicks all the time and will make more money from writing royalties in one year than you will in your lifetime in servile employment, anon.
>>
Depression seems more frequent with self-centered and self-entitled people, they always expect more out of life and never have enough. I relate to this from my own personal experience, once you start maturing you slowly grow out of it. Laziness is a big factor as well, the kind of person who does the least amount of work but does the most complaining, expects everything up front but gives little in return, unless your honest with yourself you'll never escape the depressive blame the world cycle. I see it alot around here, and I'm just as guilty of it. I guess growing out of it will give you some good perspective, and that's always beneficial to writing.
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>7324495
Lol, I was looking for this.

>I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

My favourite line.
>>
>>7324495
>I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

Or humble in general, apparently.

I look forward to your novel.

It assume it will be genre fiction.

Written like this.
>>
>>7324501
Ditto. Excellent.
>>
>>7324495
<3
>>
>>7324514
How about we meet face to face to discuss this, kiddo?
>>
>>7323626
This assumes that depression has some social or manifest cause. Which it doesn't.

Depression is a disease of both mind and brain, and has nothing to do with your perception of reality. If you have a serotonin imbalance in your brain, this will CAUSE a specific perception of reality, i.e depression.

The fact that many writes over the years have been depressive people, is completely irrelevant, and is a brilliant example of correlation not equaling causation.
>>
>>7323553
>muh 4chainz boogeyman
pls go and stay go
this place isn't that important
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.