[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ philosophers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: serveimage.jpg (649 KB, 962x1280) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
649 KB, 962x1280
All philosophers claim that a healthy mind must reside in a healthy body, but few walk the walk. They're either scrawny DYEL's or, even worse, obese.

What are some philosophers that actually hit the weights, or at least did some (any!) kind of sport?

Ignoring that he wasn't strictly speaking a philosopher, skipped leg day and was a manlet, there's this guy. But I don't know anyone else, hell, even nietzche, who always talked about muh ubermensch was DYEL.
>>
>>7323089
The greeks.

They're also literally the only worthwhile philosophers besides early Christian philosophy.
>>
>>7323089
Socrates was a soldier who fought against Sparta. Even in his old age, he often was in the gymnasium exercising.
Plato was a wrestler.
Wittgenstein fought in WWI so he was surely pretty fit.
I like to think that Machiavelli was in good shape, especially after he was exiled.
Aurelius was definitely fit and saw the importance of having a healthy body.
>>
>>7323101

>ww1
>physically fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy1ZAMTENTI

this is the O.S.S. from WWII, literally the elite of the elite and high school athletes would fucking destroy them 1v1.
>>
File: dannunzio.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dannunzio.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
Sorry OP but I think it's only fascist manlets that get that swole.

Pic related, Beautiful wordsmith in fiction, more successful military impromptu commander than Mishima, more of a political writer than a philosopher, but didn't forget about dat aesthetics. Mussolini's go to guy.
>>
>mfw I'm a manlet and I'm increasingly exercising and becoming more and more right wing
time to buy a jockstrap
>>
Camus was a boxer.

>>7323110
>they used to actually think shooting one handed was a good idea
>>
The greeks worked out, but bodybuilding was not invented by the time most philosophers were writing and their jobs were 0 physical labor so unfortunately all philosophers besides the greeks were DYEL.

Camus played sports but thats about it.
>>
>>7323089
>scrawny DYEL
Not necessarily unhealthy, just not strong as they could be.
>>
>leg day
Well, you've exposed yourself as a DYEL, OP.
>>
Frank Yang
>>
>>7323089
They're not famous, but lots of my professors in college were collegiate athletes back in their day and a few still competed in things like cycling and rowing.
>>
>>7323513
wow
care to explain wtf is going on here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mSLksZLqQ
the niggerpenis fixation stuff is played out but the rest is really interesting
>>
>>7323554
I have heard that he is he is wealthy, so he works out and focuses on intellectual pursuit. That is the only way to be patrician, you have to be rich. There's no way around it.
>>
>>7323554
He is a lifter who had mental issues and became what you see now.

He is entirely supported by his family so is a pseudo bodybuilder and artist.

He is a nice guy, or was desu. But he really has no ontological security and I began to think most of his displays of not caring are actually massive neon indicators of insecurity.

That all being said sometimes he is lucid about something. But he has internalized a lot of bro-science and bro-philosophy. None educated biological fallacies everywhere etc.

I stopped following him but still wish him well.
>>
>>7323554
huh, from this video I almost started thinking this guy had some sort of vision that I could appreciate

then I checked his 500px and it's all high-school tier snaps

I guess this is what happens when you have passion but no direction from a instructional authority
>>
>>7323110
I'm sure their pain tolerance and discipline compensate for their body fat.

Unless you mean a 1v1 in the aesthetics department.
>>
>>7323554
Hilarious guy.
>>
File: 1444925927664.png (189 KB, 483x481) Image search: [Google]
1444925927664.png
189 KB, 483x481
>>7323110
>That shitty trigger discipline at 5:00
>>
File: 0301152245.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0301152245.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
This is supposedly JVD, a /lit/izen and /fit/izen who created a little bit of a buzz here some months ago.

not too flattering a pic, desu, but looks quite athletic.
>>
>>7323089
>All philosophers claim that a healthy mind must reside in a healthy body
No?
>>
>>7324646
Trigger discipline is for modern betas who are afraid of getting shot.

You probably wear a seatbelt.
>>
>>7324665
No, trigger discipline is for people who don't want a negligent discharge in the face of their 5 year old child.

But hey, I don't care what you do personally, be a retarded Darwin Award recipient if you want to.
>>
File: 1429771848557.jpg (234 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
1429771848557.jpg
234 KB, 1032x774
>>7324680
>Darwin Award recipient
>>
>>7323110
LOL, but those are amerilards. Just confirms that the actual fighting happend in the east.
>>
>>7324683
Did you read Darwin and immediately jump to fedoras?
>>
>>7324683
the /shit/poster, ladies and gentlemen: he manages to add nothing to a discussion while simultaneously undermining it only slightly, attempting to satirize what he replies to with an image (or, perhaps more accurately, a meme) that he believes represents his input. The thing about the common /shit/poster is that they can't express their own opinions in ways other than previously posted things that they've stolen. This specimen could be derogatorily labeled a 'memer,' though this poster is a little bit more obscure than the average memer.
>>
>>7324680
>Darwin Award

aw jeez, do you actually read that crap? "oh look at all the dumb hicks doing stupid shit, let's highlight that and feel better about ourselves!"
>>
>>7324709
darwin is fine, but the darwin awards are fedora as fuck.

>>7324718
tl;dr but, truly nothing in the exchange was ever being discussed.
>>
>>7324730
No I don't. I did several years ago; but it seemed a fitting description of someone who seemed proud of handling a firearm recklessly, and not wearing a seatbelt, but clearly he's just a mediocre shitposter.
>>
>>7323089
>was a manlet
He was a Jap, they are a race of manlets
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.