[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Rather unkown books of the last ten years.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Oi /lit/, lets talk some books from the last ten or so years that you think deserve some recognition.

I'm offering up Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. Great book by an Irish author. Some describe it as Hogwarts with drugs and corruption instead of magic. Related characters, very funny, beautiful prose and wide vocabulary. (Can also recommend his other two novels, An Evening Of Long Goodbyes and The Mark and the Void, which came out earlier this year.)

Close runner up would be & Sons by David Gilbert, about a reclusive Salinger-esque author on the verge of being on his death bed, set in Manhattan.

What've youse got?
>>
i thought the luminaries by eleanor catton was pretty damn good.
>>
I've been singing the praises of David Rakoff for years, very funny essayist who died way too soon.
>>
I friggin love Skippy dies. And it's the first time in years I've heard of it.
>>
>>7322778
it surprises me just how much it's unrepresented in online discussion. i thought places like reddit would have absolutely eaten it up, but alas, i can't find a single discussion of it anywhere online. i'd love to see more people on this board give it a crack, i'm sure they'd find many redeeming qualities in it.
>>
>>7322785
I just ordered it, trusting your recommendation anon.
>>
File: secretswimmingpool.jpg (254 KB, 972x600) Image search: [Google]
secretswimmingpool.jpg
254 KB, 972x600
Mr Peanut

You have to be a grown up to enjoy it though
>>
>>7322785
Ordered it too.

Admittedly not sure it's my kind of thing, but I bet my girlfriend will like it if I don't. $4 on Better World Books btw.
>>
>>7323673
>>7323688

glad to see, post back with opinions after reading if you feel.
>>
>>7322778
I read it.

IIRC it's David Cameron's favourite book.
>>
OP you're an idiot, Murray is pleb trash. He's not funny, and his humour relies on banter and banana skins.

I'm about to read Evening of Long Goodbyes because it seems like an interesting idea for a plot but I don't have very high expectations.
>>
>>7323746
I laughed out loud throughout Skippy Dies.
>>
>>7323755
Then I feel nothing but pity for you. You are undermining British and Irish literary fiction with your stupidity.
>>
>>7323738
i believe he chose it as a summer read or some crap, and it made news.
>>
>>7323746
if you find him to be pleb trash, why are you bothering delving into his past works? try The Mark and the Void, you may be pleasantly surprised.

you don't always have to have your head up the ass of high lit authors and ignoring (yet still reading?) anything else that might be "pleb trash", it's good to read more recent works sometimes.
>>
>>7323773
do you not laugh at anything modern? have you no soul?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.