[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why do some people hate this man and call him the japanese coehlo?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
File: murakami.jpg (2 MB, 2583x2596) Image search: [Google]
murakami.jpg
2 MB, 2583x2596
So why do some people hate this man and call him the japanese coehlo?
>>
>>7322323
Because he is. D'oh.
>>
i thought it was japanese john green
>>
>>7322323
He likes to meme. Because he is a meme. He writes for "intellectual" yuppies. They can feel smart reading his pseudo literature.
>>
>>7322331
>murakami
>intellectual

that's like claiming to be le patrician for reading rowling
>>
>>7322335
i mean, that's exactly what people do. the comparison is apt.
>>
>>7322336
>he's reading something other than GRRM
>omg exotic japanese name
>woah what an intellectual xd

are standards really this low these days
>>
>>7322342
yes
>>
He's a poor man's Kenzaburō Ōe.
He's the cheap Chinese plastic watch when you wanted that Swiss Rolex.
>>
>>7322342
>these days
your nostalgia is completely unfounded
>>
>>7322323
the japanese coelho? Jesus christ, he is that bad?
>>
>>7322379
I personally don't think so
>>
He's great, actually.
>>
>>7322469
This. As is John Green, actually.
>>
>>7322323
The only people who hate Murakami are /lit/ contrarians. He writes fun, quirky scifi-tinged novels cats and jazz and sex. Just because he ain't the Greeks doesn't mean he doesn't write some breezy, escapist stuff. Fuck tha haters tb very h family.
>>
I really enjoy him. I don't think he's high class lit.
What's wrong with this?
>>
I don't think he's that bad but I do think there's too many much more talented japanese writers to bother with him.
>>
Murakami writes enjoyable middlebrow stuff. Coelho is housewife-tier bullshit.
>>
>>7322501
Nothing. Most people here feel this way, they're just contrarians.

On the other hand I don't get why people would bother to read everything by him or something as retard long as 1Q84.
>>
>>7322342
>these days

How to spot a new adult
>>
>>7322518

What's the difference?
>>
>>7322725
>Most people here feel this way
No after more than 5 pages in one sitting I start involuntarily cringing. It's that bad. Hack Attack author through and through. Meme as they come.
>>
>>7322323
New age pulp. It's like an anime.
>>
>>7322725

Why do you project your perceptions onto an anonymous userbase? That's incredibly fucking stupid.
>>
>>7322758
You can't expect much of him, he doesn't dislike Murahacki after all.
>>
People dislike him because he's not capital L literature enough. He incorporated pop culture and eschews all pretensions about making each and every novel a political opus. His prose is fairly simple and approachable, and his stories are actually interesting enough that people who don't often read might pick him up--and this is a sign of the weakness of his works in some minds.

I've read Oe and Mishima. They have some great works (I'm particularly fond of A Personal Matter), but Murakami is the best storyteller of the three by far.

Notice how none of the critical views in this thread rise above "he's a meme" and unmerited comparisons to children's literature. Just the same old "if it sells, it must be shit" laziness.
>>
>>7322809
>Anonymous 11/05/15(Thu)05:09:44 No.732
His prose is horrendous.
The, same repetitive, bloated, vibe he tries to install into all his books are just plain boring and tedious.
His characters are all the same cardboard copies, of himself I would bet.
His same trick of "weird inexplicable events" that have an obvious analogy for his themes are so typical as to be banal.
His use of them gets redundant if they are used to propel the plot the whole time after every hundred pages of nothing but classical music and cooking.
He sucks and I'm tired of saying the same shit every single time for this hack.
>>
>>7322828
Sounds like you only read 1Q84, tbqh f a m

That one I'll grant is guilty of being bloated and repetitive.
>>
>>7322860
It was actually The Wind-Up Poophole. But that proves my point -- I bet 10 different people would've assumed 4 different books.
>>
>>7322870
Nah, you just tossed some nine cent words into a madlib-tier, middle-schooler-on-goodreads "review" that could apply to any book that any retard doesn't "like." Also, your subject-verb agreement is on par with someone who has about as good of a grasp on the English language as Murakami himself. Also, you substitute the word "poophole" into a title of a book to further indicate you don't think too highly of it and have the nerve to call anything banal. Lurk more, you massive smegma-crusted-cockgobbling piece of shit.
>>
Because some of their socially normal, non-4chan fag peers like him. You ought to realize by now that is why most people on this site dislike anything.

He is mediocre at worst, and certainly not worth ranting against.
>>
i like the pinball book
>>
>>7322492
Since when do the Greeks write breezy escapist stuff?
>>
>>7322994
Like shut up, my criticism is as valid as can be. Your faggy writer is gay and crap okay senpai.
>>
>>7322994
holy shit are you ok

you sperged hard m8

murakami is garbo get over it.
>>
I thought Dance Dance Dance was pretty entertaining.
>>
>>7323424
Thanks m8. In hindsight, not my clearest sentence. Didn't mean to imply they did -- I meant that just because Murakami doesn't demand intense study/analysis/etc, that doesn't mean his work can't still be enjoyed for what it is.
>>
I like Murakami because I like the magical realism. He might not write the greatest prose ever, but so what, he's a decent writer in general.

You guys are just jelly you can't write and get published.
>>
>>7324417
>You guys are just jelly you can't write and get published.
ofc but that's secondary, even if we could it wouldn't make us be able to enjoy crap, senpai
>>
He's a fun read. I hate some of you.
>>
I enjoyed reading Dance Dance Dance, read Kafka on the shore too, but It wasn't too good.
>>
>>7324647
I also quite enjoyed Dance Dance Dance.
>>
>>7322379
Kind of, but not really. He's like intellectual trash lit. There's probably more substance than Twilight but, y'know, it's still pretty much the same thing. I don't really see that as bad, though. Sometimes you want filet mignon and sometimes you want a mcwhopper. These posts

>>7322809
>>7322828

are pretty much the only ones that have any real substance imo
>>
File: X0NHnpb.png (18 KB, 757x743) Image search: [Google]
X0NHnpb.png
18 KB, 757x743
>>7324697
This is the smuggest post I've ever seen on the internet. This is it. This is the end. We can go no further -- this is the smug to end all smug. No fart sniffing could even come close. Your dank farts, your nutty farts, your bean-and-broccoli fueled farts. No, this is it. Finally we've reached the zenith of obnoxious smug bullshit. We're here. Some people will cry, some people will laugh, but most won't know what to do. We weren't equipped to handle this. It's an atom bomb, and we can feel ourselves peel apart piece by piece. God never wanted this.
>>
>>7322323
This man, in my country he is nothing.
>>
>>7322323
He gets a lot of hate on this board because he's somewhere between patrician and plebeian. While everyone knows that Joyce is good and GRRM is bad, a lot of people can't quite nail down Murikami, so some react violently against him while others insist he's quite good.
>>
File: first editions.jpg (507 KB, 1111x715) Image search: [Google]
first editions.jpg
507 KB, 1111x715
>>7322323
I agree that Oe has way more substance than Murakami but his novels are very fun to read. It's interesting to see his Western influences seep into Japanese culture and his characters.
Reading Murakami is still more interesting and stimulating than reading Twilight or Hairy Potter.
>>
>>7322323
THE THING I HATE MOST IS THOSE FUCKING PRETENTIOUS POSES.
>>
File: 1437457500124.jpg (9 KB, 298x212) Image search: [Google]
1437457500124.jpg
9 KB, 298x212
>>7322809
>Actually writing a 4chan post as if you are David Foster Wallace in real life
>capital L literature

Jesus Christ, I wonder why I come here anymore.
>>
>>7322809
>A Personal Matter

I couldn't really get into that one. I loved most of it as I was reading it but the ending seemed so forced and trite that it ruined the whole book for me, the way all the characters are basically slapping him on the back going "boy, you sure have changed huh, wow."
>>
>>7325094
Nice.
>>
>>7325094
omg
>>
>>7322379
No. You can read Murakami and not feel completely enraged, unlike Coelho desu
>>
>>7322870
hey read his first three book, they work as a trilogy and actually worth reading. The rest is trash, it's like after writing those he recognize the formula and reused to death. The first three books really worth, rather short too.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (87 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
87 KB, 960x600
>>7322323
>the alchemist has been top of the best seller list for 378 weeks
>>
>>7325344
Whenever I see one of those lists, I puke a little inside my mouth.
>>
>>7322323
I thought we were calling him japanese palahniuk
he's a fun light read, no reason to get all snooty over him
unless it's colorless tsukuru, fuck that novel
>>
>>7325796
What did Tsukuru do to you, anon?
>>
>>7325805
not enough gay blowjobs, I was disappointed there were not more.
>>
>>7325130
>frog-posting
>DFW meme-posting
>I don't know why I come here

I don't either. Leave? Probably for the best.

>>7325094
Nice. I haven't found that Pinball edition yet.
>>
>>7325873
Just buy it on Ebay, m8. :^)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARUKI-MURAKAMI-Pinball-1973-Rare-1st-Edition-/140278121275
>>
File: contradictory opinion.png (59 KB, 833x338) Image search: [Google]
contradictory opinion.png
59 KB, 833x338
>>7322809
>>7322994
>>7323023

Accurate posts desu senpai

His short stories are also excellent but get overshadowed by the success of his novels.
>>
Murakami fans are fucking annoying.
>>
Pleb here, im 260 pages +- in Norwegian Wood and its boring me to death, dont understand the fucking praise.
>>
>>7325968
>boring me to death
that's its aim senpai
>>
>>7325968
Have you ever been in love, senpai-kun?
>>
>>7326000
Yes, maybe thats why the book is boring me.
>>
Short stories and short novels are great.

Sputnik Sweatheart

After Dark

After the Quake.

These three works are particularly enjoyable for a lazy saturday morning.

His longer stuff is great, if it's your first time reading anything by him, after that you realize he has pretty terrible case of same-protag. He'll spam the same main character in at least half of his longer books.

well, hard boiled wonderland was still enjoyable despite this.
>>
>>7326003
snap.
>>
>>7326038
Agree with this post. The short stories are a lot more varied in their protagonists. Hard-Boiled Wonderland is my favorite novel of his that I've read, the structure is pretty cool.

I get annoyed by his "style" sometimes (especially the namedropping), but I haven't read any of his work that was so bad I wanted to stop.
>>
>>7325796

JapPal is Ryu Murakami
>>
>>7325956
Confirmed that Murakami hate is hipster anti-popularity bullshit. Thanks f a m

>>7326038
Same protag for sure, but it's not a weakness if it works, which it mostly does for him. And he's hardly be the first author to obsess with certain motifs and character traits.
>>
>>7326273
>hipster anti popularity

Where do you think you are? Freaking normies
>>
>>7326273
>And he's hardly be the first author to obsess with certain motifs and character traits.
THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON. All of them just different names.
>>
>>7322323
>The Japanese Coehlo

Well, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.