[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to into Mishima?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
how to into Mishima?
>>
buy all his works
place in le trash
improve mankind
>>
>>7318989
But senpai, that's what you do with Marx.
>>
>>7318984
start lifting, sucking cocks and watching anime
>>
>>7318991
le both le friend
>>
I read the sailor... last week
pretty good
>>
>>7318984
Temple of the Golden Pavilion first.
If you like the interior monologues try Confessions of a Mask and Forbidden Colors.
If you like the nihilism try the Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea.
If you like all of those try tackling the Sea of Fertility.
>>
>>7318984
Back door.
>>
>>7318991
>>7318989
Anti-intellectual scum.

Start with the Sailor who fell from grace from the sea or Confessions of a mask.
>>
File: Mishima Anthology.jpg (19 KB, 260x346) Image search: [Google]
Mishima Anthology.jpg
19 KB, 260x346
>>7318984
>>7319048
this desu senpai
>>
File: dimaos.jpg (7 KB, 258x400) Image search: [Google]
dimaos.jpg
7 KB, 258x400
Only book of Mishima's I've read.
>>
>>7318984
become homosexual, if already homosexual start lifting
>>
Golden Pavilion should be first. Then confessions of a mask
>>
>>7319516
>you have to be X to appreciate an author
stop this
>>
Throw your son off a cliff. When he comes back for revenge, toss him in a volcano.

Shoot your grandson in the head.
>>
>>7320018
But it's true.
>>
>>7320199
No. A good author can make you experiences things you would never otherwise.
>>
File: Yukio Mishima.jpg (318 KB, 1483x2205) Image search: [Google]
Yukio Mishima.jpg
318 KB, 1483x2205
>>7318984
pic related
>>
>>7320281
I love you anon
>>
>>7320281
How are the Sea Fertility books interrelated?
>>
>>7320389
Interrelated to what? They're a series.

>implying I've read more than just The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea
>>
>>7320389
There's a central character (who's not always the protagonist) that connects the books. The stories have very different themes since that central character is on different stages of his life on each book. You can love one of them and find another boring. I fucking love them all.
>>
>>7320438
Thanks
>>
>>7318984
Spread open his ass cheeks and give him a cheeky thrust.
>>
>>7318984
I randomly read Confession of a Mask first and I think it's the best to start since it's kind of autobiographical and it helps you understand better his other books. I've read online opinions of people who've read The Sailor, which I assume it was their only Mishima book, and they completely misinterpreted it. Well, maybe they are also retarded, but I chose to believe it's due to not having read Confessions.
>>
>>7320438
What did you love about the Temple of Dawn? outside of a few passages, that shit bored me to tears.

Runaway Horses tho...damn...
>>
>>7320450
I was already a little into Buddhist philosophy (loved how Mishima explains how the different schools oppose, the concept of the Samsara and the comparation between Buddhism and Ancient Greek philosophy). The parts where he talks about India and their death-centered traditions were great. I also liked Honda becoming a pervert after a life of being an exemplary citizen, and his relationship with his wife. It gave depth to his character, which had been barely developed during Runnaway Horses. Maybe not as great as this last one, which is one of the best books I've ever read, but still really good.

Anyway, as I said, the four books are really different from each other, and this is part of what makes the tetralogy great. They really give you the feeling of History in general, and honda as a person, changing over time.
>>
>>7318984
For pure pretty prose and nice storytelling read The Sound of the Waves.

If you want to understand Mishima first and grasp the full extent of his sublime-homoerotic genius read Confessions of a Mask. Protip:This is the right way.

>>7320281
Why?
>>
>>7318984
>how to into Mishima?
anally?
>>
>>7319418
it's not bad since it shows variety and isn't all heavy-handed in mishima's philosophy. if you like patriotism then read more mishima. if you thought it was retarded then move on to a different author. preferably kenzaburo oe.
>>
File: cool broom pic.jpg (72 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cool broom pic.jpg
72 KB, 600x600
>>7320249
like gay shit if you always thought you were straight?
>>
I've read Patriotism (pointless) and Sun & Steel (extremely boring and confusing)
2/10 will not read anything more by him
>>
>>7321866
Patriotism is amazing. You just have shit taste.
>>
>>7321861
you don't have to BE gay to experience other characters homosexuality.
>>
>>7321875
>Patriotism is amazing

no, it's not. stupid "muh samurai honor" ..."long live muh emperor" must kill muhself because that would be better than being stuck with shitty options. oh muh lovely wife will kill herself to save her honor too.

give me a fucking break. human life is the greatest art. mishima failed to see it in overly romanticizing ideas that were long overdue to die. picture an Ignatius j reily who jerked off to violence and juvenile ideas of beauty. that's mishima.
>>
>>7321894
The film is better.
>>
>>7320281
>I want more disturbed protagonist

No thanks, im fine...
>>
>>7320281

>not included Forbidden Colours.

What a jackass
>>
>>7321894
>ITS 2015 BRUH
Anti-Romantic pls go.
>>
Not even joking: watch the movie

Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters

It's actually great. Really enlightening. Read the other suggestions afterward.
>>
>>7321894
>muh muh muh muh
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.