[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the maximum amount of books that one should read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: 1446321358543.jpg (79 KB, 403x401) Image search: [Google]
1446321358543.jpg
79 KB, 403x401
What's the maximum amount of books that one should read at a time?
>>
>>
>>7318373
As many as you want.
>>
>>7318373

Also let me be that guy that says it's ontologically impossible to read more than one book at a time
>>
One Philosophical Work
One General Non-Fiction (History, Essay, Ecetera)
One piece of Fiction
>>
No more than one. Reading more than one book is spreading yourself too thin. You will just end up starting and not finishing any of them.
>>
>>7318394
This + up to 5 research papers in your field of study
>>
>>7318407
Why would you read more than one paper at a time? How long are the "papers" you're reading?
>>
>>7318407
I don't see any reason to read multiple research papers. They're generally 50< pages anyway, how are you going to accumulate a backlog? you can read them while you cook dinner.
>>
>>7318734
Why did you put the < after the number
>>
>>7318392
What's a book? And how do you read?
What is you?
>>
>>7319016
"less than 50"
>>
File: 1427241005239.jpg (18 KB, 366x290) Image search: [Google]
1427241005239.jpg
18 KB, 366x290
>>7318734
>cooking your own food
>>
>>7319049
That's confusing though.
>>
>>7318404
this.
>>
>>7319049
then it would be <50
>>
>>7318394
This. Reading too many books at the same time is a surefire way to never finish any of them.
>>
>>7318373
>not going to the library and reading every single book one word at a time
>>
>>7318373
> 1. Judging by what you write me, and by what I hear, I am forming a good opinion regarding your future. You do not run hither and thither and distract yourself by changing your abode; for such restlessness is the sign of a disordered spirit. The primary indication, to my thinking, of a well-ordered mind is a man's ability to remain in one place and linger in his own company. 2. Be careful, however, lest this reading of many authors and books of every sort may tend to make you discursive and unsteady. You must linger among a limited number of master thinkers, and digest their works, if you would derive ideas which shall win firm hold in your mind. Everywhere means nowhere. When a person spends all his time in foreign travel, he ends by having many acquaintances, but no friends. And the same thing must hold true of men who seek intimate acquaintance with no single author, but visit them all in a hasty and hurried manner. 3. Food does no good and is not assimilated into the body if it leaves the stomach as soon as it is eaten; nothing hinders a cure so much as frequent change of medicine; no wound will heal when one salve is tried after another; a plant which is often moved can never grow strong. There is nothing so efficacious that it can be helpful while it is being shifted about. And in reading of many books is distraction.

> Accordingly, since you cannot read all the books which you may possess, it is enough to possess only as many books as you can read. 4. "But," you reply, "I wish to dip first into one book and then into another." I tell you that it is the sign of an overnice appetite to toy with many dishes; for when they are manifold and varied, they cloy but do not nourish. So you should always read standard authors; and when you crave a change, fall back upon those whom you read before. Each day acquire something that will fortify you against poverty, against death, indeed against other misfortunes as well; and after you have run over many thoughts, select one to be thoroughly digested that day. 5. This is my own custom; from the many things which I have read, I claim some one part for myself.
>>
>huysmans
>highly obscure
I almost fell for le norwegian proust meme, but now I can safely avoid knausgard
>>
>>7320256
Don't stop, it's a fucking goldmine
>I have another confession to make: I haven't read huysmans either
>>
File: 1445309365667.jpg (60 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1445309365667.jpg
60 KB, 640x640
>>7318734
>getting confused by this

>hmm i wonder why all these /lit/fags are complaining about STEM all the time
>>
>>7318373
I only read 1, i don't see the purpose of anything else.
>>
>>7318404
Depends on the type of book. With three novels at the same time I think you're right, but a novel, a work of poetry and a work of philosophical non-fiction are perfectly possible and actually very pleasant to have this choice whenever you feel like reading.
>>
>>
2. 1 Fiction and 1 Non-Fiction. Read a bit of both every day, more of whichever you find more interesting at that point in time.
>>
I usually try to keep the 'doorstopper' length prose fiction to 1 or 2. But add in however amount of smaller novellas, poetry, plays, short story and non-fiction in between that.
It's easier for me, I can read what suits my mood instead of grinding through something that I don't like at the moment.
Probably read slower overall and maybe less comprehension but don't care.
>>
My max is 7, but I can only do it when I have weeks of totally unoccupied time. Typically I stick to just 3.
>>
>>7318394
This.
>>
>>7318373

Whatever you can manage without losing track and getting them muddled.

Instead of reading two or more books at once, I prefer reading a short story every so often when I need a change of pace.
>>
>>7319521
This desu famine
>>
>>7318394
Don't forget a poetry collection as well.
>>
>>
I find that I max out at three. Any more than that and I'll inevitably neglect one or two of them and eventually abandon them altogether.
>>
>>7318392
>>7318394

Pretty much on the money. Anything more and something ends up getting dropped and forgotten about.
>>
I have a couple at any given time.

Right now

Don Quixote
Blooms Poetry Anthology
The Call of Cthulhu which I read before bed.
>>
>>7318373
for me I have three on the go at any one time
1] one small book to carry around to read in between classes etc
2] one large novel at home
3] one audio book for the commute.
>>
>>7321570
>a couple
>lists 3
>>
>>7321734

Could you not.
Yr monogamous views on what constitutes a couple are outdated and so yesterday. Ugh.
>>
1. one door stopper you read incrementally over a year or couple of months depending on its thickness
2. one novel that you devote most of your reading time too
3. a short story collection to crack open when you want a breather from the above books
>>
I read a lot faster when I focus on one book at a time so I try to alternate between reading a fiction and a nonficition, with slight emphasis on nonficition lately. if I am reading more I spend more time not reading
>>
>>7318373
i usually have 2-4 books at any one time, i'll dip in here and there for a bit but end up eventually just focusing on one until i finish it.
>>
>>7318373
Any number, as long as >>7318394 pointed out, they do not fit within the same category.

A few days ago, I was doing

- Poetry (Nerval)
- Philosophy (re-reading Nietzsche)
- Non-Fiction (Burke)
- Fiction (La Fontaine's Tales)
- History (Thucydides)

Works perfectly. But I couldn't imagine reading two novels at the same time.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.