[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I havent read much of King's work. I can buy this for really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: king senpai.jpg (20 KB, 192x290) Image search: [Google]
king senpai.jpg
20 KB, 192x290
I havent read much of King's work. I can buy this for really cheap. Ive read some reviews and it seems to be that diehard fans are not liking pic related. Heres the thing though, I havent always agreed with the taste of these fans, and I've found things that they dislike to my liking and vice versa, so Im thinking I might like it. anyoje here read it yet? or perhaps it might be too early and no onoe has. in any case I like short story collections and I've been thinking of getting Everything's Eventual by King. is it worth it? only 8 buckaroos.
>>
Stephen King is a horror writer

>>>/x/
>>
>>7316675
His short works are usually good, OP. As for his other books...The Dark Tower saga, the Stand and It are pretty good. Also Bag of Bones is also quite good because his writing style in this one particular book is amazing.
>>
>>7316713
I want to read some of his other important stuff like It, Misery, and the Stand before I dive into Dark Tower. thanks anon.
>>
>>7316846
Almost all of his books relate to Dark Tower in some way or another anyway
>>
Important, read Insomnia before The Dark Tower. Read The Stand after TDT.

If you like short stories, get Skeleton Crew. It includes Gramma, which is one of his most famouse stories. (Haven't read it though)

If you want to read several good books that are somehow connected, read It, Insomnia, Needful Things, Cujo and A Bag of Bones. They all happen in the same area and in the same years.
>>
>>7316902
I own Insomnia. Is it good? I never hear anyone mention it so I picked it up thinking I'll get to it way later. why should I move it up in the queue? thanks for the input.
>>
>>7316943
Probably because the average King fan is a stupid teenager or an old slow fat guy. Insomnia might seem a bit difficult to understand to some people, because it mostly explains things about The Dark Tower, several dimensions, how the universe works and so. However, the book talks about it while you follow the typical suspense Stephen King story. I liked it a lot. You could also read it midway through The Dark Tower series and it would still be good.
>>
>>7316983
that sounds intriguing, and exactly what I was looking for. thnx.
>>
I also vouch for The Dark Tower series. Don't get intimidated by the length, it's very easy to read.
>>
I finished Pet Sematary a couple of days ago, I found it be quite good, although it has a slow start. I say give it a chance, OP, besides, King himself says it's his most darkest novel
>>
King's work has really declined over the years. Most of his newer stuff is utter shite. Dr. Sleep was one of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read.
>>
>>7317591
>most darkest
stephen king fans
>>
>>7317646
His Hodges trilogy is pretty good
>>
>>7317646
Dunno, I liked Revival
>>
>>7317646
>Dr. Sleep
ur a wizard danny
>>
>>7317591
All the Stephen King books I've read have slow starts, only excluding It and Desperation.
>>
>>7317971
>Desperation.
that went off quickly, didn't it
Regulators is the same
>>
>>7317646
This. I felt like Danny's story could've been good on it's own, but the ham fisted "scary" part was shit
>>
>>7318017
The entire point of Dr. Sleep was completely nonsensical. The villains were even more cartoonish than King usually writes his antagonists, and even worse was that he went out of his way to show how utterly incompetent they were. It was just a garbage book.
>>
>>7316713
>Bag of Bones
That book got me into Melville. The day after I read it, I watched a Zizek interview where he was mentioning Bartleby...it was like fate or something
>>
>>7318125
It's almost as if he doesn't give a shit about writing anymore but knows his fanboys and fangirls will eat up whatever he shits out. I guess if I could rake in the dosh like him i'd do it too.
>>
>>7318210
To be fair he did use Dr. Sleep as somewhat of a tie in with his son's books, which aren't total horse shit. That actually may have been the reason he wrote that book at all.
>>
>>7316675
read the girl that loved tom gordon and salems lot
>>
Regulators is dank and a very funny version of its twin, Desperation. Tommyknockers, Pet Sematary, It are great scares. The Long Walk is a good short story. The Stand... nice but the ending sucks imo. The Dark Tower is good.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.