[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name some books as good as or better than this one.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3
File: 2940012146410_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg (22 KB, 260x390) Image search: [Google]
2940012146410_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg
22 KB, 260x390
Name some books as good as or better than this one.
>>
war & war
>>
>>7313784
Why do you think The Brothers Karamazov is good OP?
If you care to explain i will care to recommend you something.
>>
>>7313784
The Bible
>>
Anna Karenina. Dosto is a hack.
>>
>>7313784
The Iliad
>>
My diary desu.
>>
>>7313805
Haven't even finished it yet, I'm half way through and at the book store trying to que up my next read. So far I LOVE the philosophical looks on good and evil theism/atheism in the book. The characters opinions are written so well that I have a hard disagreeing with them even if they are in complete opposition to each other or even myself. A few of the chapters (grand inquisitor especially) really got me thinking. When father zossima talks I have to stop and reflect every 4 lines haha. I love it.
>>
>>7313784
The Bhagavad Gita
>>
>>7313816
>thinks Tolstoy is better than Dostoyevsky
whew lad
>>
>>7313838
Unreal book, i just finished it a couple weeks ago and ever since I've been trying to be more like Alyosha when making ethical choices. Such an awesome character in his pure honest and humble simplicity and morality. Never makes an enemy in the whole novel, loved by everyone.
>>
Lolita, Woman in White, BNW, HHGTTG
>>
>>7313784
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
>>
Bartleby the Scriviner - Melville.

Does the same thing in a more concise and superior fashion.
>>
The Brothers Karamazov has fairly philosophical messages in it, so please take this discussion to /his/, lit is no longer for this kind of discussion. Thank you.
>>
>>7313926
no, no, no, no
>>
>>7313976
You're not funny. You're not even trolling very well. You're just making this board more unpleasant for other people and giving other people a reason to dislike you even more. Have you ever done anything worthwhile in your Internet life? Do you ever stop and think about your posts before posting them?
>>
>>7313976
this desu senpai
>>
literally all books
>>
>>7313816
nabokov please
>>
>>7313898
>Never makes an enemy in the whole novel, loved by everyone.
Yeah until he gets keked by Lise in the sequel.
>>
>>7313927
I hope this is true. I've always wanted to read ROTTK. What's the best English translation?
>>
>>7315673
He followed the most important rule, never stick your dick in crazy. Even Ivan knew better.
>>
>>7313784
Anybody got a link to download this book that isn't the Garnett translation, as apparently that is inferior.
>>
>>7314777
lel
>>
>>7313784
which translation of this book is best?

planning on buying soon
>>
>>7316607
Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky's
>>
>>7316607
Ignat Avsey for sure.
>>
>>7316607
McDuff
>>
>>7316610
>>7316612
>>7316620
why
>>
I feel that while The Brothers Karamazov is obviously a more complex and heavy book than the rest of Dostoevsky's work, it just feels so sad and depressing.

I believe The Idiot is a better read and a bit more entertaining.
>>
>>7316800
Sad? I laughed out loud reading it.
>>
>>7316893
How?
It was also one of the only books that almost made me cry during one scene.
>>
>>7313882
Tolstoy is better than Dosto in my opinion. I think Dostoyevsky is so liked due to his position on /lit/, and how teens can relate to the ideas he brings up--which explains Dostoyevsky's popularity on 4chan and Reddit. Once you've matured, you'll be ready for Tolstoy.
>>
>>7317071
except Tolstoy is taught in high school.
>>
>>7316762
I prefer P and V. Theyre a team where one is native english speaker fluent in russian while the other is a native russian speaker fluent in english. Appaently this allows them to produce the most natural sounding translation and they minimize meaning and affect lost in translation.
>>
>>7317657
thanks senpai
>>
>>7317661
P/V are absolute dogshite. Don't listen to him. Their whole methodology is a marketing gimmick and their translations read like google translate.
>>
>>7316800
Brothers K is unfinished. It basically has the same thesis as C&P, but told over what was supposed to be a trilogy. So what you're saying is basically right. Is it sadder than his earlier work but only b/c its unfinished and he didnt have time to finish the thesis with the uplifting, like, moral awakening that all his books seem to end with. C&P would be like Bros K if it ended right around the time Raskol goes into the fever coma thing.
>>
>>7317676
Seriously, P/V are garbage. Go with McDuff or Avsey.
>>
>>7317676
Can you be more descriptive? i've only ever ready P/V translations and they seem pretty good to me.
>>
>>7317657
Wrong. Pevear, the husband, isn't fluent in Russian. V reads it to him in English from Russian, and Pevear "smooths it over". It's nice that they have a native Russian, but it's not nice that Volokhonsky has to have Pevear to ensure the text has "literary" qualities.
>>
I'm honestly forever more fascinated by Book of the New Sun even if I absolutely adore The Brothers Karamazov.
Amazing book, honestly the best philosophy book I've ever read and so consistent and respecting the opposite stance.
>>
>>7317700
would it be false to argue that the "smoothing over" adds a level of polish missing from most other translations?
>>
>>7317712
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/11/07/the-translation-wars

This a great article (somewhat sympathetic to P&V) that outlines the whole debate.

The issue, in my view, is purity of the text. P&V is extremely pure. That means it's going to sound very "Russian" at the expense of readability; readability to me is core to a quality text, and many readers would agree with me. Remember: Every 20th century writer before 1970 who read the Russians read the Garnett version because they had nothing else.

Garnett was the standard for more than 50 years, then P&V came along with their Oprah-approved translation and massive publishing machinery that said "Ah, finally someone who's translating the Russians how they TRULY were!" That rubs me the wrong way.

Garnett meanwhile, is much more "smoothed over." It's not at all "pure." It reads very much like an English text would, rather than a translation, and that means it's much more familiar and easy to read. That also means she had to take liberties with the structure and the word choice that P&V didn't take. In my opinion, Garnett reads far better, but again, if you're looking for a "more accurate" translation, word-wise and structurally, go with someone else.

Final note. Nabokov (a native Russian) hated Garnett's work, so it's very much a debate over style versus substance. Both are substantially the same, it's the style that's different.
>>
>>7317882
Also note, for what it's worth, that Garnett lived during many of the famous Russian writers' lifetimes, and she actually met with some of them.
>>
>>7317902
Also the perfect excerpt to encompass the debate:

>"Hemingway recalls telling a friend, a young poet named Evan Shipman, that he could never get through “War and Peace”—not “until I got the Constance Garnett translation.” Shipman replied, “They say it can be improved on. I’m sure it can, although I don’t know Russian.”

>When Nabokov was working on a study of Gogol, he complained, “I have lost a week already translating passages I need in ‘The Inspector General’ as I can do nothing with Constance Garnett’s dry shit.”
>>
>>7317882
I've read Garnett, P&V and another translation of Crime and Punishment, and far preferred Garnett's. So she was the one I went with for subsequent books.

As you say, it has more polish. I'll also add that she seems to give the characters a better voice and the conversations in her translation felt livelier.
>>
>>7317920
I'd take Garnett over Nabakov anyday. What a jackass. "Dry" isn't the right word for Garnett anyways, but then again Nabakov never was very good with words.
>>
>>7317963
>Nabakov never was very good with words.

el oh fucking elllo operator
>>
>>7318945
As a translator, Nabokov is shit.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1965/jul/15/the-strange-case-of-pushkin-and-nabokov/
>>
>>7318967
His translation of Lermontov's "A Hero of Our Time" is very good. I've always believed the 'issue' with his translating Pushkin is how much he loved the poet and his resulting perceived inferiority---why do anything besides literalism if your English verse doesn't hold a candle to the original? So Nabokov doesn't even bother trying with EO.
>>
>>7317412
that's because of the meme status he has achieved, it doesn't mean high school kids fully understand it.
>>
>>7317412
And?
>>
a piece of paper smeared in shit albeit that's a bit better
>>
>>7315680
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Chinese-Classics-Volumes/dp/7119005901/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446606520&sr=1-2&keywords=romance+of+three+kingdoms

Moss Roberts Foreign Language Press. The only appropriate option
>>
>>7317048
>>7316893
It's both really. It's very very funny in places, yet sad, sometimes jubilant sometimes despairing.

It's a very human piece.
>>
File: 220px-Lü_Bu_Portrait.jpg (39 KB, 220x397) Image search: [Google]
220px-Lü_Bu_Portrait.jpg
39 KB, 220x397
>>7319355
Thank you very much!
>>
>>7317048
Me too. It has a been since I read it but the scene where Alexei is talking to some children, telling them how they will all meet again in heaven someday... Something about that naive hope made me tear up. What part got you?
>>
>>7319623
Not him. I wept at Aloysha and Ivan's final meeting at the inn where Ivan tells the short parable of the Grand Inquisitor. I thought Dostoyevsky captured human connection and love so well in that interaction between two brothers who truly care for each other but are so different from each other. Ivan's tragic story seems to evoke something in me. I'm constantly reminded of Quentin Compson.
>>
>>7313784
There's only one such book - The Sound and the Fury.
>>
>>7319623
>Something about that naive hope made me tear up
You got it all wrong. For Alexei, that is the truth. Same for Dostoevsky. It looks like naive hope from your viewpoint.
I almost teared up at that part too, but for a different reason.
>>
>>7313784
The Bell Jar
>>
File: muh crime and punishment.png (139 KB, 534x629) Image search: [Google]
muh crime and punishment.png
139 KB, 534x629
>>
>>7320557
McDuff
>>
>>7313784
Crime and Punishment
>>
>>7313784
The Holy Bible
>>
>>7320557

Revised Garnett. My copy of TBK is revised by Ralph Matlaw. Very readable and filled with insightful criticisms.
>>
On translations, you tell me, was the death...

>gloomy
>fishy
>dark
>mysterious

??
>>
A Hero of Our Time - Mikhail Lermontov
>>
>>7320761
This
>>
>>7313784

DON QUIXOTE
O
N

Q
U
I
X
O
T
E
>>
>>7321975

this desu senpai
>>
>>7319623
I don't remember all the details, but it was when that kid that was very sick and dying and his dad was trying anything he can do to help him and then his friend came with the dog that he supposedly killed him, but was still alive and well..
>>
>>7313784
War; what is it good for?
>>
>>7313994
Good contribution to the thread
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.