[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dreamlike/surreal stuff in a contemporary setting? the crying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: The_City_by_scottfacon.jpg (162 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
The_City_by_scottfacon.jpg
162 KB, 600x431
dreamlike/surreal stuff in a contemporary setting? the crying of lot 49 is probably my favorite book of all time and i also really like calvino, borges, flann obrien and the movie 'waking life'

any suggestions?
>>
haven't read any murakami, does he sort of fit?
>>
the unconsoled
>>
>>7237249

Sort of. I'd imagine his pretty ez-mode compared to the others you mention, but I got something of a dreamlike vibe from Kafka on the Shore.
>>
>>7237246
> the crying of lot 49 is probably my favorite book
Nigga, Pynchon doesn't even like that book.

>>7237249
No doubt.
>>
>>7237250
this sounds interesting, i'll look into it thanks

>>7237252
hmm, ok, and speaking of kafka - i should have mentioned him up there too. one of the masters of dreamlike narrative, no doubt

>>7237254
>Nigga, Pynchon doesn't even like that book.
but I do
>>
>>7237255
>but I do
AND IT SHOWS.
>>
>>7237246
The Cannibal
The Blood Oranges
The Passion Artist

Pretty much pick any John Hawkes book out of a hat.
>>
>>7237246
Who is Roland Topor?
>>
>>7237246

Try Dahlgren by Delany - basically something really fucking weird has happened to a city in america, so while the rest of the world is carrying on as normal, this one city is basically a post-apocalyptic urban area, permenantly overcast by smoke clouds from a permenant fire that's been burning in one area of the city for months, radio and tv signals don't work in the city and things are weird... there's thugs with weird hologram projectors called "scorpions" who have ended up acting as the city's police... the only still functioning church in the city is a weird unitarian thing that seems to exist to hand out free nude photos of a black rapist called George... the only newspaper in town is a crazy tabloid that puts random dates and days of the week on its pages each day... there's people who insist the streets themselves are moving around and reorganising themselves each night... everyone who stays in the city for any length of time has picked up a length of chain with glass lenses on them and wear them at all times for reasons no one really knows or wants to talk about... and then one night the clouds part, and there's a second moon in the sky that everyone in the city agrees is named "George".
>>
I've been thinking about Dick a lot lately. You might want to check out his later stuff like Radio Free Albemuth, Flow my Tears the Policeman Said and even A Scanner Darkly, which has the best Dick film adaptation because it remains Dick.
>>
Selected Works of TS Spivet - Reif Larsen
>>
>>7238031
Dick's prose is awkward as fuck though.
>>
>>7238031
>I've been thinking about Dick a lot lately.
I know this is /lit/ but I laughed like I'm on /b/.
>>
File: 198483.jpg (36 KB, 306x475) Image search: [Google]
198483.jpg
36 KB, 306x475
Anything by Angela Carter really. Especially pic related.
>>
File: NIGGA.png (15 KB, 299x200) Image search: [Google]
NIGGA.png
15 KB, 299x200
>>7237277
>it shows
because he said so
>>
File: dick.jpg (59 KB, 251x587) Image search: [Google]
dick.jpg
59 KB, 251x587
>>7238824
>>7238031
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.