[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does a Jew in the modern era reconcile the fact that the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Yung Anne Frank.jpg (31 KB, 498x600) Image search: [Google]
Yung Anne Frank.jpg
31 KB, 498x600
How does a Jew
in the modern era
reconcile the fact
that the Yiddish
language is essentially
German written in
the Hebrew alphabet?

Gezeine Gezint,
Annie F.
>>
>>7235179
Have you considered just being a white atheist like everyone else instead of trying to be a super special breed of German?
>>
by reminding themselves that nobody has cared about yiddish literature since the wrong singer brother won the nobel prize
>>
>>7235179
Just make peace with the fact that Yiddish only exists because rich Jewish people donate money to universities to teach it so that young Jewish people will meet in Yiddish class and have Jewish babies.

The entire language has become a tool of eugenics. Think about that.
>>
>>7235226
You mean Modern Hebrew not Yiddish. They don't even share word ordering, so I won't ask you to think about anything in light of your retardation.
>>
>>7235243
I went to a university where Yiddish was taught and the son of a trustee told me why.

Why would I mean Modern Hebrew when I said Yiddish? Why are you so angry?
>>
>>7235273
Because the institution of Modern Hebrew is actually recognised as what you describe, even by the Israeli government, while Yiddish is not taught in anywhere near enough schools to compete with the reach of Modern Hebrew or Israel's legal backing of Hebrew. So either, you're wrong, or you're wrong. Why would I be angry?
>>
>>7235300
I could be wrong, or I could be right in the context of the specific university I have personal experience with. Plenty of Jewish people aren't huge fans of Israel and are actually more attached to their Askhenazim roots in Europe so it makes sense that in a wealthy, heavily Jewish university, there would be a contingent more interested in Yiddish.
>>
>>7235316
>>7235226
>Just make peace with the fact that Yiddish only exists because rich Jewish people donate money to universities
>>7235316
>I could be wrong, or I could be right in the context of the specific university I have personal experience with.
You're wrong, and your university =/= universities =/= the Yiddish Spachbund in case you didn't notice and ever find need of this new information
>>
>>7235336
There are like 150,000 Yiddish speakers in the US. That's nothing, and a huge number of those learned the language in school and not from Yiddish speaking parents. I made a generalization since most Yiddish speakers are not in the US (and I was trolling a bit), but my statement holds true for the US.
>>
>>7235382
>trying so hard to not be wrong
>lel I was just pretending to be retarded
If you want to see the decline of Yiddish, look at when suddenly Jews started learning Hebrew because it became the language of power. Much better troll because it's true; Zionism played a large part in the decline of Yiddish because of its favouritism of Modern Hebrew, which had less speakers.

You can't buy shit with Yiddish, and in the US Yiddish loan words are more assimilated, so even where you can buy shit with it, it's off hipster chicks who like the sound of meshuggah because they're quirky and dark like that.

Bellow has a smattering of Yiddish despite being of the last generation to hear it from their monolingual parents, and it's the same amount of Yiddish a major city dweller in the US can speak now. He won the Nobel first, and, Singer's win was confirming the death knell, not breathing new life into the language.
>>
>>7235450
But I didn't deny any of that. There is no contradiction. You're saying it's declining and I'm saying the main thing keeping it around is the academy, just not with Israeli sponsorship.
>>
>>7235465
No, I'm saying despite millions of Yiddish speakers surviving WWII, they didn't survive the 1948 assimilation. What's keeping it alive is the traditional region in which is was spoken because most of them still live in the Ukraine where they weren't as prone to Modern Hebrew or another language's assimilation. [The US has the second largest Hebrew speaking population after Israel]
>>
>>7235483
Ah, I see. I'll read up on it.
>>
File: Shaolin spit-take.jpg (78 KB, 201x331) Image search: [Google]
Shaolin spit-take.jpg
78 KB, 201x331
>Yiddish is a Hebrewized form of High German
>Modern Hebrew is a conlang mixture of Literary Hebrew (itself a construction from Biblical forms of Hebrew), European dialectical Hebrew (Yiddish, Ladino, etc), and Arabic
>Jews qua Hebrews went extinct centuries ago
>Modern Jews are a newer form of Indo-European and Afro-Asian
>Jews are the next step of human evolution
>/pol/'s face when
>>
>>7235179
Its tradition.
>>
>>7235548
What's tradition?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.