[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What works should I read and in what order to have a good overview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
What works should I read and in what order to have a good overview of philosophy?
>>
I'm reading Kant's Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals, On the Old Saw, and Perpetual Peace. Does /lit/ have any advice for me?
>>
Plato/Aristotle then onto Locke/Berkeley/Hume/Hobbes
>>
>>7232383
and theeeeeen?
>>
>>7232388
let me rephrase this. at what point does it switch from required reading to read this only if you're interested in this specific branch
>>
>>7232395
Read the "figurehead" works of each branch (Republic, Being And Nothingness, etc.), and then decide where you want to go from there
>>
Got this list off google. Is there anything missing or possibly redundant here?

1. Plato's Republic
2. Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics
3. Thomas Aquinas's Summa Theologiae
4. Descartes's Meditations on First Philosophy
5. Hobbes's Leviathan
6. Locke's Essay Concerning Human Understanding
7. Berkeley's Principles of Human Knowledge
8. Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
9. Rousseau's Social Contract
10. Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
11. Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit
12. Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation
13. Marx's Communist Manifesto
14. Mill's Utilitarianism
15. Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra
16. Popper's The Logic of Scientific Discovery
17. Ayer's Language, Truth and Logic
18. Sartre's Being and Nothingness
19. de Beauvoir's The Second Sex
20. Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations
>>
>>7232487
That is definitely a great list to work with
Looks good to me
>>
>>7232487
How are you supposed to understand Aquinas if you didn't read Aristotle metaphysical and logical works?
>>
RTFS
>>
How many times do we need this thread a day?
>>
>>7232487
Why is Foucault not on this list?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.