[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where do I start with pic related /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: charles-bukowski-hulton-getty[1].jpg (1023 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
charles-bukowski-hulton-getty[1].jpg
1023 KB, 2048x1536
where do I start with pic related /lit/?
>>
I started with post-office and it was a snore fest.
Maybe start with ham on rye
>>
Start by tossing all his books into the trash can fam.
>>
>>7228432
Poetry or fiction?

For poetry, I'd say grab Sifting Through The Madness

For fiction, I'd say Women or Factotum.
>>
>>7228432
Factotum. Start and end there. When you've read one Bukowski novel, you've read them all. Nonetheless, it's still worth reading the one, and that one should be Factotum.
Never read much of his poetry, though, so maybe there is more worth checking out there.
>>
in regards to his novels, ham on rye > post office > women > factotum > pulp

[/spoiler]imo
>>
>>7228659
I'll agree with this. Also Hollywood.
>>
>>7228637
I am interested in the poetry even though that isn't my usual fare. Tom Waits's reading of Nirvana was beautiful.
>>
Like every writer, publication order.
>>
>>7228432
Don't do it OP.

I started with Post Office and I hated it, can't really understand what's so good about it. I can't even understand how a book like this get published at all.
>>
>>7228432
ITT: pissed off elites who didn't get published.
>>
Ham on Rye is his best book. Post Office and Hollywood are great too
>>
>>7228432
I'll out myself as a Bukowski fan. He's almost the antithesis of the /lit/ circle jerk. If you go into it looking for intricate symbolism you'll find yourself disappointed. However he does do "sincerity" in his own brand. People who attempt to deny his merit shot too high. Go in expecting a raw and ugly experience. Nothing beyond #lmaothisissodeep near teenaged speculation but every so often you'll find a nugget of the human condition covered in the shit it is. Start with ham on rye. From there fill in with post office, factotum, and women. Then finish with Hollywood. Pulp is more of an abstract novel about his inevitable death and also one of my favorites. His poetry is also leagues beyond his novels. When he clicks the shit is gold. When he misses the beat his shit is shit.
>>
On the road
>>
>>7230709
Are you me?

That's a great post, anon. The best I ever read in a Bukowski thread. You perfectly summarized my opinion.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.