[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of "nice" books? When I can,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 17
File: 20160227_170258.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160227_170258.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
What does /lit/ think of "nice" books? When I can, I love to collect books from publishers like Folio Society, Easton Press, Heritage Press, and so on. I don't buy such books just because they are nice, but if there's a title I really want, I'll wait and find it in a nice edition.

What do you have, if anything?

ITT: Post your high-quality editions or just be a simpleton and call me a faggot for having nicer books and better taste than you.

>pic related, my current top shelf
>>
old editions are always nicer than folio garbage. capitalists are literally laughing their asses off that you'll drop dough on a "nice" edition of a public domain work that you can find an actually nice edition of for a buck.
>>
File: lo_lee_tah.jpg (146 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
lo_lee_tah.jpg
146 KB, 600x800
doesnt matter to me. those books are made to serve as decoration for aesthetes who value form over function, which is the opposite of what literature should be.

the nicest book i own is a quran i found in a box next to a dumpster. i like it and because of the antiquity and reverence of the text deserves some stage dressing. moby dick, however, does not.
>>
>>7751452
Aww, man! Folios are my favorite! I guess I'm just a sucker. I only buy them second-hand, so I guess I'm still managing to outjew the capitalists, to some extent. I buy 90% of my books at Half Price Books, and the other 10% at local secondhand shops around the area.

The things I really like about Folios are both the paper quality and learning about the type that was used (This book was set in Polybius, etc...).

I don't know why I like that so much, but I do.

Someday I'll own a book printed on vellum, dammit.

>But yeah, $63.95
>>
>>7751476
>learning about the type that was used (This book was set in Polybius, etc...).

loooooooooots of books do this. (you are a pleb or a folio employee though, most likely both)
>>
>>7751452
There is literally nothing wrong with capitalism.
>>
File: Oscar-Wilde.jpg (14 KB, 300x320) Image search: [Google]
Oscar-Wilde.jpg
14 KB, 300x320
>>7751464
>which is the opposite of what literature should be.

[citation needed]
>>
>>7751464
>those books are made to serve as decoration for aesthetes who value form over function, which is the opposite of what literature should be.

Where is it written that I can't enjoy both form and function? I own plenty of shitty paperbacks, but they don't have any sense of permanence for me and I don't value them as much.

>>7751482
>(you are a pleb or a folio employee though, most likely both)

Ya got me. FOLIOS ARE THE BEST BOOKS OF ALL TIME. BUY THEM NOW, GOY - ONLY $99 EACH.
>>
>>7751464
>the antiquity and reverence of the text deserves some stage dressing.
The quran deserves to be thrown in the dumpster with a steaming pile of yesterdays chinese food on it.
>>
>>7751495
This.

>>7751502
Also this. Preferably with pork in it.
>>
>>7751498
good to see your true colors

>>7751495
[citation needed]
>>
File: evelyn_sm.jpg (190 KB, 920x744) Image search: [Google]
evelyn_sm.jpg
190 KB, 920x744
>>7751497
>she thinks font design and paper should take precedence over transmittal of information

>>7751498
she thinks pretty colors signify permanence & value

>>7751502
she cant see through her own emotional encumbrances enough to objectively appreciate human achievement

EL
OH
EL!
>>
File: hereugo.png (57 KB, 400x413) Image search: [Google]
hereugo.png
57 KB, 400x413
>>7751520
>[citation needed]

https://www.nia.nih.gov/research/publication/global-health-and-aging/living-longer
>>
>>7751530
>>she thinks font design and paper should take precedence over transmittal of information
>It puts words in its opponent's mouth to further its own argument

>>she thinks pretty colors signify permanence & value
It oversimplifies and completely ignores archival-quality paper, durable hardcover, and protective slipcase to further its own argument.

>>she cant see through her own emotional encumbrances enough to objectively appreciate human achievement
>It thinks anything contained within the Koran represents human achievement rather than human folly

>It probably thinks it is talking to only one person

Get rekt.
>>
>>7751560
>It oversimplifies and completely ignores archival-quality paper, durable hardcover, and protective slipcase to further its own argument.

you really are a folio rep haha
>>
File: ICanCountToPotatoOrig.jpg (62 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ICanCountToPotatoOrig.jpg
62 KB, 300x300
>>7751566
Are you retarded? Why would I admit to only buying them secondhand and then denigrate how much Folio tries to jew out of you for one of their books in an earlier post? Or is this babby's first troll?

>I can't be a fan of a particular publisher without also being a shill for or representative of that publisher
>>
>>7751578
You are blatantly shilling for their company and your admission to only buying used copies was obviously untrue and made gain the trust of the gullible posters of this board.

It's ok though. I'm jealous you are getting paid to post on 4chan. I rarely manage this for more than an hour per shift.
>>
File: impressive.png (186 KB, 457x303) Image search: [Google]
impressive.png
186 KB, 457x303
>>7751432
They don't fit my aesthetic sensibility, which is more of a "professor's office" than, "faux-aristocratic middle-class parlor."
>>
>>7751604
>You are blatantly shilling for their company and your admission to only buying used copies was obviously untrue and made gain the trust of the gullible posters of this board.

>you lied
>you're a shill
>I win

Trolling or serious, you've been defeated. Just deal with it.

I'm going to continue liking things that you don't like, and you can't stop me.
>>
>>7751626
Oh please feel free to keep it up. I will keep up pointing out online marketing when I see it.

Good day anon.
>>
File: Mona_Lisa.jpg (3 MB, 2835x4289) Image search: [Google]
Mona_Lisa.jpg
3 MB, 2835x4289
>>7751560
>It puts words in its opponent's mouth to further its own argument

My opponent had no words. If one implies, one must expect implication in return.

>It oversimplifies and completely ignores archival-quality paper, durable hardcover, and protective slipcase to further its own argument.

Nah nigga (now that's oversimplification).

>It thinks anything contained within the Koran represents human achievement rather than human folly

She's mad because she could never possibly understand the ways in which her world has been shaped by forces outside of her control, thus she she digs her heels in & stubbornly, but futilely, attempts to shrug off that fundamental cornerstone of human civilization that is religious thought.

>It probably thinks it is talking to only one person

There are no people here. Only ideas. And that leads me to my next point, in which I explain why you suck at life. Aesthetes like you always value form over function, which is the true "human folly". Obviously both can be enjoyed, but one must of necessity be suborned to the other. Your choice is obvious, and in my opinion, wrong. People like you have contributed to the downfall of a literate and intellectually vigilant society. A microcosmic example would be the numerous "post your bookshelf" threads proliferating on this board, along side the never ending Infinite Jest shit threads (which in my opinion is an eponymous irony of ironies).

Your refusal to even contemplate the idea that you could be wrong only bolsters my argument. And lit used to be a place for ideas. Thanks to you & your ilk, it is sadly no longer the case.

But thanks for the memes anyway, anon!

>MFW
>>
>>7751633
Oh woops I put suborned, should have been subordinated

hehehe

heh...
>>
>>7751432
i'm torn on them because i'm a materialistic ass but i'm also stingy. i'd love to be wealthy enough to not feel bad hoarding them.
>>
>>7751652
If you weren't blinded by the shilling in this thread, you would have read that nice editions can be obtained for $1 or less.
>>
>>7751432
My grandmother's neighbour gifted to me a great number of Folio Society books, including The Last of the Mohicans, As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning, and The Wit of Oscar Wild. They're gorgeous, half of them haven't been opened and I'm not going to open them, they're not books I would have bought anyway so they can just sit on my shelf looking nice until they accumulate a great deal of value.
>>
File: stop-liking.jpg (110 KB, 350x377) Image search: [Google]
stop-liking.jpg
110 KB, 350x377
>>7751633
>Aesthetes like you always value form over function
>always

>Your choice is obvious,
>implying HARD

Your entire argument is based on factually incorrect assumptions and inherently weak conjecture.

Function beats form, in my opinion, 100% of the time. If both beat-up paperbacks and nice leather-bound books are available at relatively cheap prices, why not rise above the base plane and buy something just a bit nicer for only a modicum of extra money?

>>7751652
They don't cost that much when you buy them from secondhand shops like I do. I've never spent more than $20 on any single book.
>>
I rarely see books that are aesthetically pleasing. Basically all books are cheap mass-market stuff and you can tell. Even the editions that mostly aim to look good, just look gaudy or garish.
>>
>>7751666
>The Last of the Mohicans

Nice. The Leatherstocking Tales have been on my short list for quite some time.
>>
>>7751666
>they're not books I would have bought anyway so they can just sit on my shelf looking nice until they accumulate a great deal of value.

well don't hold your breath. they only have "value" so long as OP and his friends keep convincing fools on this board those books are anything special.
>>
File: PeasantComingThrough.jpg (175 KB, 960x895) Image search: [Google]
PeasantComingThrough.jpg
175 KB, 960x895
>>7751682
>being a prole and proud of it
>2016
>>
File: 1446361971574.png (686 KB, 756x813) Image search: [Google]
1446361971574.png
686 KB, 756x813
>>7751672
>If both beat-up paperbacks and nice leather-bound books are available at relatively cheap prices, why not rise above the base plane and buy something just a bit nicer for only a modicum of extra money?

I don't know how much clearer I can be with you. The value of literature lies in the content, not the cover. To pretend otherwise does a disservice to the creators & consumers. I have no problems with well-crafted books but I'm not gonna make a thread about it. I'm gonna make a thread about what is contained within the pages. Anything less is uncivilized & avaricious. Okay?

Enjoy your book covers, anon.
>>
>>7751686
you think a folio society book has lasting resell value? jesus christ. once you realize that you're only buying those books to posture and they are actually nothing to you the capitalists (now dead, and whose children are living off of inheritance) will be rolling in their graves.
>>
>>7751686
The Folio Society's book selection is shite desu. Their Pleb books in nice covers.
>>
>>7751705
>Enjoy your book covers, anon.

I will, anon, thanks. Enjoy your needlessly spartan and puritanical existence.

What color car do you want?
>Grey
What color house do you want?
>Grey
What color spouse do you want?
>Grey
What color life do you want?
>Grey

“Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.”

>>7751708
>pic related
Why do you keep bringing up capitalists, anyway? I already responded to this earlier.

>>7751720
I wouldn't normally be a grammar nazi, but this IS /lit/.
>their
>>
>>7751728
People telling you to buy only shredded used paperbacks are idiots

But every one of those folio books looks like utter shit t b h q f a m like an 11 year old kid imagining Fancy Literature
>>
File: RRM_13758905900.jpg (99 KB, 700x491) Image search: [Google]
RRM_13758905900.jpg
99 KB, 700x491
>>7751751
Once again, different strokes for different folks. I happen to very much like Folio books, but your opinions might vary. They do indeed make some ass-ugly copies (Cicero's "Orations" comes to mind), but I think their more subdued covers are gorgeous.
>>
So let's point out that the whole point of this thread is to position folio books as a viable alternative to other books, to make posters aware of their virtues and justify their cost.

OP is a very reasonable, refined poster. He's a folio guy. Don't you want to be one too?
>>
>>7751803
Jesus tittyfucking Christ. Give it up, bro.

Occam's razor. Which is more likely, that I'm a literal employee or paid shill for Folio Society or that I'm just a fan of their publications?

FUCK IT, BUY EASTON PRESS INSTEAD. OR BUY NOTHING. BUY A FLESHLIGHT. BUY WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BUY A SINGLE FUCKING BOOK FROM FOLIO PRESS.

IF YOU DO YOU'LL EARN THE DISDAIN OF SOME ANONYMOUS TURD ON 4CHAN.

IT'S NOT WORTH IT.
>>
>>7751836
just tryna show you're a kid with bad taste in books is all. thanks for doing my job
>>
>>7751842
i kekked. u horrible
>>
>>7751842
I'm glad to have justified your existence on Earth. You're welcome.
>>
>>7751728
Sorry, it was autocorrect. I still maintain that Folio has a shite selection.
>>
File: 005.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
The nicest book I own is probably Everyman's Library Ulysses. I've also bought The Brothers Karamazov, and will be buying Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire from them.
>>
File: DisNigga.jpg (44 KB, 477x640) Image search: [Google]
DisNigga.jpg
44 KB, 477x640
>>7751896
Nice! I only have one Everyman's Library book - "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger. I had been looking for it for years in any format (I like to buy locally rather than online) and SNATCHED that shit off of the shelf of my local bookstore.

>It was a surprise to me, as I was there looking for superlative Folio Society™® © copies of major literary works.

Seriously though, This is like the fourth time in the last hour that "Ulysses" has appeared in a thread on here. Is it as difficult to follow as I've been led to believe?
>>
>>7751925
>This is like the fourth time in the last hour that "Ulysses" has appeared in a thread on here

You must be new here. Oh wait, that was already apparent since you like folio books.
>>
>>7751933
>>7751933
>>7751933
>You must be new here.

I've been here once or twice, but the level of discourse here is often /pol/ tier at best, you being a case in point. You got absolutely blown the fuck out in our little argument earlier, so now you have nothing left to do but attempt to troll. Anyway, I'm going out to a bar. Enjoy your Saturday night on 4chan, bro.
>>
>>7751896
I like Everyman. Their books are really nicely made.
>>
>>7751956
>You got absolutely blown the fuck out in our little argument earlier, so now you have nothing left to do but attempt to troll.

Eh, I think I trolled you pretty well this whole thread.
>>
>>7751956
lol and making fun of people for being on 4chan isn't reddit tier?

you're so cool for going to a bar! good job
>>
>>7752059
>you're so cool for going to a bar! good job

he'll pick up a chick who'll just cream herself when she see's all those Folio's!
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.