[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of IELTS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: ielts_logo11.jpg (137 KB, 1476x534) Image search: [Google]
ielts_logo11.jpg
137 KB, 1476x534
What do you guys think of IELTS?
>>
I'm temporarily an ESL teacher to support my studies abroad and as part of my job regularly prepare students for IELTS. Before I start any prep with my students I talk about how bullshit the exam is, how little it correlates to English proficiency, and how opaque IELTS the organization is. I like to think it removes some of the mystique and makes the exam more approachable, but it's mainly for my own selfishness and desire to vent. Performance on IELTS is determined by how well you can memorize long lists of advanced phrases and piece them together to create a narrative.

In my experience, the people who do best on exams of this category are those who have the least need for it; they are chatty and charismatic, able to sustain a conversation about any topic without much help. The people who do need a good grade because they're trying to go abroad are often STEM students/professionals with great analytical skills. This demographic uniformly struggles.
>>
>>7715735
I concur with teach anon

I haven't participated in an IELTS examination, but a CAE(Certificate of Advanced English)
and from my point of view, it's the same old gibberish - a tonne of phrases and vocab to be memorized so that you can state your opinion or defend a point in a convo or in essay.

In the end, everything is owned to chance. The exam will surely have vocab/grammar that is, not unknown, but uncharted by you and you will end up guessing the thing.I got a B on my exam (that's,what, 7, 8 in IELTS grading?), yet I pretty much devoted more than the required time for study to get an A.
Pretty pissed off about it.
>>
File: 5ZD59vl.jpg (159 KB, 1677x972) Image search: [Google]
5ZD59vl.jpg
159 KB, 1677x972
My advice, don't take yourself too seriously. You will end up burning yourself out.
>>
>>7715699

>IELTS
>NOT Cambridge Advanced English Exam for Speakers of Other Languages
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.