[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lit life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: 1443387724682.jpg (116 KB, 728x582) Image search: [Google]
1443387724682.jpg
116 KB, 728x582
how do i live the lit life?
>>
read books
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 1166x731) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 1166x731
>>7609708
>go to uni
>pick obscure field of study or just stick to philosophy or literature
>read and heavily annotate all texts required for course
>get to class early and be sitting, reserved, reading a text that is not required for class
>hog the attention in class by constantly raising hand or interjecting without Prof. Permission
>make sure you listen to obscure Indy bands not well-known outside the confines of 4chan or even not known there
>you have to be /fa/ or you'll come across as just a creepy school shooter type
>helps if you're good looking
>helps if you're not fat (see above point)
>spend majority of your free time between classes in uni coffee shop
>stay in uni for as long as possible then seek out grad school
>develop an addiction to nicotine, caffeine, and alcohol

Now you're /lit/
>>
>>7609708
read Deleuze
>>
>>7609733
this is not lit at all you faggot

this is posh rich boy who decided one day he wanted to rebel and be a writer because daddy wanted him to be an accountant
>>
>>7609733
>implying the lit life can only be maintained in uni

/lit/erary life = NEET life
I'm afraid if you don't realize this, there is no hope for you.
>>
File: prison-cell-cellphone.jpg (59 KB, 506x337) Image search: [Google]
prison-cell-cellphone.jpg
59 KB, 506x337
go to prison and live the NEET life
>>
File: Diogenes.jpg (223 KB, 1058x1058) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes.jpg
223 KB, 1058x1058
>live in poverty until you die
>have no friends only people you know
>be in a constant state of desperation
>be an alcoholic, gambler or opiate addict
>fired from every job you ever had
>kicked out of everyplace you've stayed
>be declared crazy, go blind, or commit suicide before 50 years old
>create something so revolutionary that it will only be recognised long after your death
>congrats, now you will live forever
>>
do whatever the F*CK you want
and read
>>
>>7609762
>be declared crazy, go blind, or commit suicide before 50 years old

The last woman I was with held the firm conviction that I would go crazy around the age of fifty. Am I doing it right?
>>
>>7609733
/thread
>>
>Move to major city
>Live in one of the cheapest areas of city because you will be poor
>Preferably in an "up-and-coming" neighborhood
>Write reviews in a local paper for income
>Possibly work a laborer job as well
>spend free time reading and writing
>spend money on books and lit mags
>live a solitary life but observe the masses around you for inspiration
>>
>>7609708
Read and write.
>>
>>7609708
>be NEET
>read a lot
>write a lot

It's impossible to live a literary life and be a wage slave.
>>
File: Takemitsu-Samurai.png (340 KB, 600x879) Image search: [Google]
Takemitsu-Samurai.png
340 KB, 600x879
>>7609708
>Have crippling depression
>Go to uni for literature
>Hang around your professors until they realize that you have no friends
>Get taken under their wing out of pity, but still kept more distant than their disciples
>Get PhD studying a writer that no one wants an expert on; De Sade, Sienkiewicz, or someone else that somebody here will get mad for me listing
>Become underemployed by the university because they allowed you to ruin your life and feel bad now
>Write bitter columns under pseudonyms and then lose your job because of them
>Live paycheck to paycheck while trying to keep your writing going
>End up losing most of your jobs because they find out about your writing
>Live in exile while a few people on /lit/ talk about how based you are

SHOUT OUT TO MY BOY JOHN DOLAN LIVING THE HARD LIFE
I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW YOU'RE IN MY PRAYERS
FUCK FRANZEN AND CONTEMPORARY LIT AND ALL THE SUCCESSFUL BOOMERS
SUBSCRIBE TO THE WAR NERD ON PATREON MAKE SURE HE DOESN'T STARVE
BASED JOHN DOLAN
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzI0OTQxMDA2MzQ3.jpg (122 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzI0OTQxMDA2MzQ3.jpg
122 KB, 1200x1200
Learn from one of the greatest writers, OP.

>http://www.openculture.com/2015/03/leo-tolstoys-17-rules-of-life.html

> Wake at five o’clock
>Go to bed no later than ten o’clock
>Two hours permissible for sleeping during the day
>Eat moderately
>Avoid sweet foods
>Walk for an hour every day
>Visit a brothel only twice a month
>Love those to whom I could be of service
>Disregard all public opinion not based on reason
>Only do one thing at a time
>Disallow flights of imagination unless necessary
>Never to show emotion
>Stop caring about other people’s opinion of myself
>Do good things inconspicuously
>Keep away from women
>Suppress lust by working hard
>Help those less fortunate
>>
File: triggering intensifies.jpg (72 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
triggering intensifies.jpg
72 KB, 1000x800
or a shotgun, if you prefer.
>>
be a neet, read books in your room all day before killing yourself
>>
File: de baecque - godard - w250.jpg (37 KB, 384x614) Image search: [Google]
de baecque - godard - w250.jpg
37 KB, 384x614
>>7609883
fug
you just described my life.
Except I don't write a review for the local paper. (but used to be a wageslave journalist, in a smaller town)
And I don't write seriously enough.
This life doesn't make me happy. I feel I missed my chance in college to make friends with similar tastes. I met a guy who was a drummer and had literally read ALL of Nietzsche (for his Master's), I wish I had more people skills and more money.

Last night, I was fascinated by a biography of fellow countryman Jean-Luc Godard (through Bret Easton Ellis and Tarantino who pushed me to watch Bande à part, Band of Outsiders (Tarantino's production company is called Band Apart)

Godard is the son of the Monod family, through his mother. Originally they were Protestant Pastors who took refuge in Switzerland. Then they became anthropologists, crazy rich bankers, scholars, philanthropists. They even earned a Nobel for medicine.
The Monod's opposed Godard mother's marriage with a medicine student from a middle class background (not good enough), but they finally gave in.
JL Godard became the son of a humiliated father, who became violent and authoritarian. The mother had an affair, then divorced.
The biography I read said the father used him as a scapegoat, because his (crazy rich) mother loved him so much.

Kind of off-topic, but here comes the good part : Godard follows his father in South America, then decides to explore the whole continent by himself, with little money, a couple of years before Ernesto Guevara.
Godard becomes a thief, his parents protect him several times through their networks, but eventually he's arrested. His father manages to spare him his jail sentence, but he has to go to a psych ward in a psychiatric hospital.
In Paris, he writes his first cinema critic article for the Cahiers du Cinéma (?) at only 19. But he's still a thief, stealing from his friends and family, who has disowned him (because he stole something unforgivable : a rare edition of Paul Valéry, the famous writer that was very close to the family who supported him all his life)
Later, Rivette revealed that Godard actually financed his first feature film by stealing again from his family.
Also, most of his family were left-wing and philanthropist, Godard was only interested in womanizing, and was a right-wing dandy, who liked to talk shit about the Jews (he had a grandfather who followed Pétain)
I'm quite impressed with all of this, except that even after he became a thief, his father kept on helping him find jobs, first for the Swiss TV as a cameraman, and eventually, when he was almost an ex-con, his father still found him something, walkie-talkie operator in construction work, on the then biggest dam of all times in Switzerland.
Of course, Godard used ALL of these experiences (theft, south america, working construction, psych wards, etc) in his career as a scriptwriter and director.
BEE admits that most of his films are boring, but consider his first 10 years as genius.
>>
>>7609892
>SUBSCRIBE TO THE WAR NERD ON PATREON
link?
don't underestimate laziness, I'm only mildly curious.
>>
>>7609901
> “I must get used to the idea, once and for all, that I am an exceptional human being,” he wrote in 1853, at age 25, underscoring that “I have not met one man who is morally as good as I am, or ready to sacrifice everything for his ideal, as I am.”
> - Tolstoy
kek
in a good way
>>
>>7609901
I could learn a thing or two from him t.b.h.
>>
>>7610022
https://www.patreon.com/radiowarnerd?ty=c

Mostly about geopolitical shenanigans and critiques of media coverage. There is a little bit of stuff on literature and Berkeley bullshit, but not much. If you want to read some funny take downs then his stuff on exiled are pretty good
http://exiledonline.com/jonathan-franzen-will-rim-bobos-for-book-of-the-month-fame/
http://exiledonline.com/a-million-pieces-of-shit/

This one is mostly just sad
http://exiledonline.com/the-ninth-life-of-a-berkeley-boomer/all/1/
>>
Is Peru a /lit/ place to live?

I want to save up a few thousand and stay there for a while.
>>
>>7610010
itw of a young Godard (english subs) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNAUmqJd1Q

He says that the (huge) success of his first film "Breathless" (À Bout de Souffle) makes him already tired with cinema, basically because he likes to be the underdog, he hopes his second film won't be liked, because he needs to have someone to fight.
>>
Read books, write shitty memoirs of your pathetic life, and then kill yourself.
>>
>>7610010
that's actually pretty interesting I like to imagine a lot of my favorite writers and directors (though Godard certainly isn't one) as being hard working cause their passionate for the medium they work in, overall not total-fuck arounds, but the more I look at it a lot of them seem to just be juvenile and in this guy's case dishonest in the approach to realizing their "vision" (which I believe any artist of substantial merit much have at the offset)
I just have to wonder if there's any, not rule, but determining factor of the spirit or whatever that would enable these guys to succeed the way they did, and if so how that's even fostered (maybe by interacting with other people, or learning and observing shit, or just being alone?)
>>
>>7610070
What a coincidence; I am saving up to move to Lima in a month's time.
>>
>>7610063
thanks for the links.

I read this,
>http://exiledonline.com/a-million-pieces-of-shit/
>By visiting him in the middle of his street-cred winning campaign, Frey’s parents threaten to ruin the whole con. Rehab, for trust-fund druggies like Frey, is a place to be born again, as the son of cool Mafia Dons and the trusted friend of serious black guys. Having Mom show up and hug you right in front of them is worse than Mom dropping you off at the Prom.
Though I haven't read this book by Frey (and will not), I've heard about it, and from the excerpts, I totally agree with this vitriolic critic.
>>
File: trujillo.jpg (746 KB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
trujillo.jpg
746 KB, 3872x2592
>>7610147
>not Trujillo
>>
File: images-1.jpg (7 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
7 KB, 197x256
>be well read in the greeks
>go to college
>lie to everyone about everything
>study and read in private so everyone thinks you're naturally talented
>claim to have read everything anyone brings up
>speak in riddles and allusions
>be apolitical
>smoke lots of drugs
>befriend the writers on campus

thats about it
>>
>>7609708
this looks like Germany and its Japan
what do you know
>>
>>7610135
>as being hard working cause their passionate for the medium they work in
Well, Godard's biographer describes him as VERY hardworking. All his family were high achieving people, and he couldn't even finish high school (had to try 3 times). He was seen as just a thief, the shame of the family, the black sheep. In the 50's, cinema was considered by most scholars as entertainment, and of course not a serious career. But Godard started to compensate his failures by watching thousands of classics, reading thousands of books (when visiting friends, he would at least read the 1st and last page of all the books he hadn't already read).

>>7610135
>determining factor [for success]
In the case of Godard, he met lots of people (young film critics) through "cine-clubs" in Paris. But he was lucky from the start to have a room in the apartment of a famous writer, friend of the family. Then he landed a job as courier in a big production company. Legend says he managed to talk to a producer and told him his last film was shit, and the producer asked him to rewrite it. Also, like I said, he produced his first own feature film by stealing from his family.
In part, he was quite lucky, but it seems he also had balls. (also knowing that he was disowned by his family)

But yeah, people's skills are probably the most important (after hard work and talent)
>>
>>7610193
Getting Nostalghia vibes from this.
>>
>>7610202
why apolitical though
>>
>>7610193
That's Trujillo, Spain dumbass
>>
>>7610230
Because then he might offend someone and be shunned
>>
>>7609887
>It's impossible to live a literary life and be a wage slave.

This is demonstrably false - Chekhov, William Carlos Williams, Conan Doyle, Keats, and Crichton were all full-time doctors. Wallace Stevens was an insurance executive.

There are so many physician-writers that Wikipedia has a large list of notable ones.

The key, you'll note, is to have a wageslave job that permits time to write (and, most importantly, edit).
>>
>>7610230
hes talking about paps, dig?
>>
>>7610147
>Lima

if you mean Lima city I would really recommend not to move there. Peru is beautiful if you leave on the countryside.
>>
>>7610230
if you haven't yet realized this, you're not ready
>>
>>7609733
this is me
>>
>>7610230
exemption baby,
one step ahead of the monkey demon, dig?
>>
>>7609733
Well I guess I'm literary! Other than nicotine. That's dumb tbhhh
>>
>>7610063
>http://exiledonline.com/the-ninth-life-of-a-berkeley-boomer/all/1/
that's good too

>Alex fell from grace with the Language Poets’ official coven when he entered grad school at UC Berkeley. He was ashamed of working for the Institution, but confessed it was nice to be able to feed himself and his wife, who was unavailable for fulltime work due to the fact that she was insane and spent her days talking to the squirrels in Golden Gate Park. Mocked by the sleek career-track future profs in the TA room, he was far more bitterly spurned by his Language-y pals. They were as furious as if he’d written a sentence that actually made sense. In their world, certain crimes were unforgivable, and working for the hated academic mainstream was the worst. The one time I saw Alex close to crying was when he told me how the Language poets who used to sleep on his couch now walked past him in the SF streets without a word, wouldn’t return phone calls, and let him know through intermediaries he was a heretic, a walking corpse, as far as they were concerned.
>>
>>7610279
I am only going to Lima because it is the easiest way for me to transition into the country. I neither speak the language nor have been there before but after a while, I do plan to live in a less populated part of the country. Do you have any specific recommendations?
>>
>>7609720
Under8ed post
>>
>>7609708
Kill yourself.
>>
File: The Americans - Robert Frank.jpg (135 KB, 800x691) Image search: [Google]
The Americans - Robert Frank.jpg
135 KB, 800x691
>>7609733
>writer
>rebellious
>daddy wanted him to become an accountant
What the fuck? What kind of third world country do you come from? I guess I don't know if you're American or not, but the kind of people who whose parents feel a strong need for their children to become doctors, lawyers, finance, etc are immigrants who had a tough life and want much better (economically) for their children (i.e. Asian immigrants to the US, Indian, etc)

>>7609733
When I saw /lit/ I was thinking OP probably meant "literary life," not specifically a 4chan lit life. Obviously you could be correct though, I may have taken it wrong.
>>
>>7610606
whoops.

Should be in response to >>7609741 and >>7609746
respectively
>>
>>7610513
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_poets
>>
>>7609708
Get a job
>>
>>7610606
>e immigrants who had a tough life and want much better (economically) for their children (i.e. Asian immigrants to the US, Indian, etc)

You're retarded no it's not.
Every parent does and those with money, do.

Of course you're american. No one even mentioned america other than you. Fucking moron.
>>
>>7612023
>You're retarded no it's not.
>Every parent does and those with money, do.
I come from a (reasonably) well off family (upper-middle class neighborhood, private school, etc) and my parents have never "wanted me to be an accountant" or a lawyer or anything else. Sure, most parents want their children to be financially secure, but based off of the others I grew up who were significantly wealthier than me, this is not a thing. I'm not the retarded one, anon.

>of course you're American.
I brought it up because my point was I don't have a cultural background from any other country (so I figured I wouldn't make assumptions on other cultures I'm not a part of). You arrogant little prick.
>>
>>7612445
It was pointless writing two sentences when all you wrote was an anecdote.

>I brought it up because my point was I don't have a cultural background from any other country
Of course you did. I hate to generalize but americans bring up their country even when its not relevant. Any chance they can get to mention good ol' usa... fuck off mate

How do you know if someones American?

They tell you.
>>
>>7612636
>he lives somewhere other than glorious America

lmaoing @ your life
>>
>>7609708
Alcoholism, book collecting/stealing and copious journal entries.

Or just live a moderately interesting life. If Genet can stretch out his "gay writer in prison" narrative into 6 books you can do the same with YOUR life.
>>
>>7610202
>ywn be a publish author/folk singer, best buds with pynchon and bob dylan and married to joan baez' cuter sister
why live, baby?
>>
>>7609892
Thought of him before you named him. Wish his work wasn't held hostage by Pando, I refuse to give those bay area types my money.

>while a few people on /lit/ talk about how based you are

Does this happen? Never seen him mentioned on here.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.