[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How advanced/complex was the science and math in Gravity's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg (103 KB, 392x574) Image search: [Google]
Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg
103 KB, 392x574
How advanced/complex was the science and math in Gravity's Rainbow really? Was it more of a cursory use of the "whoa thience and math omg so smart" aesthetic, or did Pynchon demonstrate a deep understanding of the STEM topics he digressed into?
>>
Neither, it was an accessible representation of the various characters' worlds. It has nothing to do with the sciences themselves anymore than the military characters represent an accurate look at life in the military. Signifiers.
Pokler is a rocket man, here are some of the problems her faces.
>>
>>7590781
How about you try reading the fucking book before talking about it. There is no "whoa thience and math" aesthetic in Gravity's Rainbow. Any and all STEM subjects addressed in the book were directly relevant to the narrative and themes, and of course all of the science and math referenced in the book was 100% correct; Pynchon studied engineering at an Ivy league school and actively employed this knowledge everyday while working at Boeing.

Homework for OP:
- Google the word "aesthetic" and learn how to properly use it in a sentence
- purchase a copy of Gravity's Rainbow or check it out from the library
- stop posting on /lit/ about books you haven't read and have no ability to discuss
>>
Many details come from a certain rocket design manual, so they're moderately advanced engineering. Rest of the science is used symbolically. Insofar as "getting it right" makes sense he gets it right obviously. The math proper is limited to a couple jokes.
Pointless question.
>>
>>7590781
He worked for boeing. He knew what he was doing.
>>
I get the impression a lot of people have the wrong impression of this book.

It's sort of like a counterculture Tintin story.
>>
File: 1428976513761.jpg (19 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1428976513761.jpg
19 KB, 225x225
>>7590841
this

fucking rekt
>>
>>7590781
honestly at this point just end yourself man
>>
>>7591431
Rudy Rucker said something along those lines when I was about 200 pages in and it completely changed the way I read it, for the better.
>>
>>7591453
this tbqh senpai
>>
>>7590781
literally ap calculus with a fourier namedrop
>>
>>7590841
I hate when stem cucks end up with talents that lie in the humanities. If it weren't for those teeth Pinecone would be a god.
>>
>>7590841
rekt as fuck
>>
>>7590841
gravity's rektbow
>>
>>7590781
Not very advanced, although I'm only half way through the book right now. There's a lot of science references peppered throughout though anyone with the minimum college background in the sciences will understand these (2 semesters ea of calc, physics, bio, chem).
>>
>>7590781
It wasn't meant to be advanced, it was meant to be relevant to the story
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.