[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we differentiate between which things are worth knowing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1441507354486.gif (980 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1441507354486.gif
980 KB, 500x375
How do we differentiate between which things are worth knowing and which are not. What books are worth reading and which are not?

I'm a perfectionist. I know that you don't just start reading history, or reading philosophy, or learning a language. You have to start at the beginning. So where is the beginning? How do I do any of these things?
>>
the greeks
>>
Well the first step is to learn how to think. Once you have done that, you won't need to ask us these questions. Problem solved!
>>
I keep sitting down to read, but I find myself questioning what I'm getting out of it. I tried to read about the Napoleonic wars the other day. I couldn't keep it up. Where is the benefit in knowing the names of Napoleon's marshals or the details of his battles? Where is the benefit in knowing anything? How does it benefit me? I try to read philosophy, but it's too daunting. I can understand so little of it. Feels like trying to climb a mountain without even knowing where it is. I hate myself for having so little attention span and being so fucking retarded. If I could will my IQ higher, I would, but I'M JUST SO FUCKING STUPID.
>>
>>7569412
you really hate yourself dont you hahahaha
>>
>>7568835
You have to differentiate between known knowns and unknown unknowns; after which you behold known unknowns and then unknown knowns. After that you dive into existentialism, and then you go.
>>
>>7569417
With good reason. I'm a simpleton.
>>
>>7569424
e-explain
>>
>>7568847
This is a post, this is a post.
>>
>>7568847
How do I learn how to think?
>>
>>7569435
What.
>>
>begining
>not a self contained self referential web of ideas, facts, and relations
>>
>>7569442
many koans, and a lot of time spent in the act
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.