[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Word Count
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1448949315813.png (137 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1448949315813.png
137 KB, 640x480
I am able to conjure words with meaning but they seldom expand past 400 words. I've been looking at other short stories and they are all past 1,000 words. My problem is not that I am fatigued from prowess but that I am baffled at the expansion. How can one write more when less is appropriate. I seek your guidance now /lit/.
>>
>>7474574
Post some examples, if they are that short.
>>
>>7474611
Vacuity binds those who are blinded by sight. To ponder upon how without the thought of how else is to be stubborn towards everything. Stricken by ignorance is nothing more than a dislocation of a severed limb. What’s left of nothing is immeasurable for it is nothing. Even a specter that dwells within a dark cave knows not of the dark cave; to it, the surrounding is just a surrounding, assuming it can gather that much. A cluster of light speckled by a string only to unravel without a spectator is to never unravel. To teeter on a terrain of equilibrium is an astounding act indeed. Those that contemplate expanding a void leave nothing and give nothing. A mind is a vapid sense senses nothing, not even itself.
>>
>>7474838

your words are bad. they are meaningless.

"What’s left of nothing is immeasurable for it is nothing"

nothing, just like your point.
>>
>>7474838
What are you saying? This isn't a story, this is you making observations on the world. If you gave it a plot and characters, it would be longer than 400 words.
>>
I have 13,600 words. Eat a bitch
>>
>>7474574
Just keep practicing m8. I had the same problem. You gotta put in the hours before you see appreciable results. It's good that you have already found one of your weaknesses, not being able to write at length. Becoming a great writer is just learning from mistake after mistake until there's nothing left for you to possibly fuck up.
>>
>>7474574
>>7474838

People can write 1,000 plus words because they write stories that have characters and plot instead of writing a jizzstain of indecipherable imagery squashed together that reads as if you're desperate to be profound, begging me to think for half a second that since you use so many abstract words you must have talent. And yet in all your prose masturbation, you never once showed that you possess anything other than the most leaden ear for musicality that could exist. Your prose is like lumpen pieces of clay being thrown on the floor, one ugly clause after another plopping down until all you have is one giant shitty heap.

Try writing a story about things that actually fucking exist and you'll have no trouble passing 1,000 words.
>>
>>7474838
...disassociated press? this has to be some kind of Markoff-chain program for generating text at random, right?

you should read some Hemingway. he would have slapped you silly if you'd read that out to him.
>>
>>7474838
This is the literary equivalent of blowing your load in five seconds. Gotta pace yourself.
>>
>>7474838
Your prose is forced and artificial
>>
>>7476510
This
+ the pacing
>>
>>747>>7476194
BTFO
>>
>>7474838
Slamming five fingers on piano keyboard doesn't play a chord. Even if you know what notes you're hitting doesn't mean that you are making any meaningful sound.

Seriously every sentence you wrote has an idea in it -honestly they're not all good ones- but, nothing is thought out in your writing. You're probably doing a lot of thinking that would back up what you've written but none of that translates to anyone else. No one wants to pause after each of your sentences to think about them, when the whole doesn't even deserve to be taken piecemeal like that. Even if we did. Practically no one would follow your train of thought because there's no framework to follow it. Explain yourself.

And if you can't write more, at least write less. Stick to haiku or something.
>>
Goddamn... Just stop imitating that "classic" style of prose. Actually, just don't waste your time writing. You don't have the talent for it.

You're wordy like a fuckin' 18th century novelist for no reason and with 0 substance -- You wonder why you can't you can't write past 400 words... it's cuz you aren't saying anything.

>Vacuity binds those who are blinded by sight. To ponder upon how without the thought of how else is to be stubborn towards everything. Stricken by ignorance is nothing more than a dislocation of a severed limb. What’s left of nothing is immeasurable for it is nothing. Even a specter that dwells within a dark cave knows not of the dark cave; to it, the surrounding is just a surrounding, assuming it can gather that much. A cluster of light speckled by a string only to unravel without a spectator is to never unravel. To teeter on a terrain of equilibrium is an astounding act indeed. Those that contemplate expanding a void leave nothing and give nothing. A mind is a vapid sense senses nothing, not even itself.

Seriously, someone tell me im wrong cuz I cannot make sense out of this word salad.
>>
>>7474838
In an empty room there is a chair. No let me start again, there is a chair, in an otherwise empty room. The room is dull and green paint flecks in cracks on tired leaning walls, devoid of hangings or embellishments. The floorboards are rough to touch, an absent minded finger catches a splinter; a wandering gaze might fixate on an exposed nail, some rotten knots. The chair faces a dusty corner between two large and narrow windows, as if a sitter could catch with both eyes more than the sum of one's vision alone. There is a dryness to the air, a sudden break in motion, a single cough could choke the very stillness right out of the room; The chair is a bright yellow and red. Jarringly gaudy for a thing so devoid of style and in it's own fashion more utility and ease of manufacture than comfort or great seated posturing. There is no great view outside the windows. The white door is closed. I mean it's just a room, but rent's not cheap here, you know. And you have great access to transit systems and the public parks and public places at large. Think of yourself, think of the room. A deal this good wont come around again soon.

>Here you go friend, I fixed your aids.
>>
>>7476748
this is an improvement but it isn't good.
>>
>>7476746
Dumb people only know what they see.

That's about the gist.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.