[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill /comments/3v027t/book_re
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: panopticon.jpg (42 KB, 628x628) Image search: [Google]
panopticon.jpg
42 KB, 628x628
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/3v027t/book_recommendation_the_care_of_the_self_by/

r/Theredpill discusses Foucault

Presented for your enjoyment without further comment
>>
>>7436837
>I have such mixed feelings about Foucault and other continental philosophers. On the one hand, they literally invented the blue pill and carry on the tradition in our academic and intellectual institutions in a way that truly sickens me. On the other hand, a lot of the shit we talk about from how ideologies perpetuate, how the ruling class makes their ideas seem subtly timeless and eternal while more of a background to knowledge than something to verify and check, and how power shifts, was shit that they though of first but just wrote about in the opposite direction. In a bizarre and twisted way, the red pill is actually a bit post modern. It's not entirely like the nega-postmodernism and there is a lot to learn from how those guys formulate ideas.
I can't stop laughing.
>>
>>7436837
Who gives a fuck.
>>
some quotes

>Best book by him is Discipline and Punish. Read that book and start saving for a gun.

> Foucault is Blue Pill phaggot

> he thinks everything is a social construct.
>>
>Implicit conception of sex as an object of truth
>Biological essentialism
>Non-relational ideas of power
>Muh human nature
>"socially constructed"

It's kind of ironic how deep in the anthropological slumber these "redpilled" guys are
>>
File: 1432421533613-2.jpg (64 KB, 409x513) Image search: [Google]
1432421533613-2.jpg
64 KB, 409x513
>"Foucault became known for wearing turtleneck jumpers.
>Foucault remained a leftist throughout his life and a member of the French Communist Party
>he was a homosexual who died of aids
>he was disgusted by the prejudice against Jews"
>--- wikipedia

so he was the definition of blue-pilled and degenerate?
>>
>>7436865
I think you belong on reddit. Those are your people
>>
>>7436863
biological essentialism and human nature are 100% valid btw
>>
File: r9k.png (94 KB, 250x342) Image search: [Google]
r9k.png
94 KB, 250x342
>>7436886
>>
>>7436886
nice spooks
>>
>>7436892
>we are all equal blank slates that can be whatever we want!
spooked
>>
>>7436895
But that's not what foucault says you idiot
>>
>>7436896
the discussion has moved beyond foucault
>>
>>7436896

what does he say?
>>
>>7436895
if you haven't read foucault why do try to refute him

all it does is show us that you're ignorant of his ideas
>>
>>7436898
Fine

>we are all equal blank slates that can be whatever we want!
is not the only alternative to biological essentialism, obviously
>>
>>7436903
what are the alternatives
>>
>>7436903
>is not the only alternative to biological essentialism, obviously

it's the correct alternative
>>
>>7436903
what's the other alternative
>>
foucault is 25% ok and 75% overthinked postmodern trash that clogs up the humanities academia and has nothing to do with real world
>>
>>7436906
>>7436907
>>7436908
oh my God
>>
>>7436915
not a very convincing alternative imo
>>
>>7436906
>>7436907
>>7436908
different anon but it's actually a mix of both, your preferences are biological and for the most part hardwired, those preferences vary across people but you're stuck with them pretty much, on the other hand the human being is very adaptable and also creative and can develop in surprising ways

but of course you and the entire fucking academia like only black and white binary answers that's propped up by eloquent but overabstract arguments that have nothing to do with describing reality
>>
>>7436906
>>7436908
I dunno, historically specific, relational systems of power which that upon the body and produce truthful discourses about its "natural" function (though free individuals always have the capacity to resist these structures)

Tho I don't know why I'm bothering to summarize if you haven't read Foucault and are just going to oversimplify and misinterpret what I write
>>
>>7436898
>I'm explicitly trying to derail this foucault discussion because I'm an idiot who shitposts in threads about authors who I haven't read, because I don't read
>>
File: dd.jpg (21 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
dd.jpg
21 KB, 540x960
>>7436837
>linking reddit
oh mercy

>>7436863
they have not read foucault
>>
>>7436930
How do I get into Foucault?
>>
technically this thread is off-topic and qualifies as shitposting.
>>
>>7436933
>implying this is a foucault thread
this is an in group signalling thread
>>
>>7436937
>How do I get into Foucault?

1. join communist party
2. say everything is an oppressive social construct
3.suck dick and get aids
4.???
5. profit
>>
>>7436941
by making fun of idiots who haven't read foucault. don't ignore context you retard.
>>
>>7436947
>by making fun of idiots who haven't read foucault.
this does not make it a foucault thread
>>
>>7436943
Shut up. I want to know what I should read from him from people who have read him and not idiot plebs like you
>>
>>7436937
discipline and punish and history of sexuality r cool
>>
>>7436922
>preferences are biological and for the most part hardwired
Foucault would disagree with this.
The idea of immutable preferences are a relitively recent historical phenomenon, by no means inherent to our biology. The categories "homosexuality" and "heterosexuality", for example, indicate an exclusive preference based on biological sex. Yet the ancient greeks, in contrast, had preferences more or less independent of gender, based instead on the body; the same set of characteristics were considered attractive on young boys as well as adult females.The point is that preferences aren't dictated by genes, say, or some other inherent biological factor, but by culture.
>>
>>7436954
there's at least 30 philosophers you should read before him

he's a mediocre thinker with no discernible talent
>>
>>7436937
History of Sexuality and Discipline and Punish
They're not super hard, but are hard enough that you might want to watch some online lectures to concretize things a bit.
>>
>>7436886
not in muh cosmology of immanence
back to your houellebecq son
>>
>>7436961
>>7436957
Thank you both.
>>7436960
Why are you referring to yourself in the third-person?
>>
>>7436954
discipline and punishment

>>7436951
of course it does, if you can't post about foucault you're failing the ingroup check. fuck off.
>>
>>7436937
Oh, also, Nietzsche's On the Genaelogy of Morality is relatively important background reading; Foucault owes a ton of his methodology to Nietzsche. It's also pretty easy and interesting in its own right.
>>
>>7436968
>fuck off
no
>>
>>7436967
>Why are you referring to yourself in the third-person?
REKT
>>
>>7436982
I've already read it but thanks for the info.
>>
this is worse than nazi threads
>>
>>7436958
sexuality has very little to do with what I mean and those categories are fuzzy, and still there will be people who like homosex more than others, shit does not work on 0 1 binary scale

just basic shit like how sensitive your nervous system is will determine the degree of your extroversion-introversion preference<----notice I use the word preference, if you don't get environmental pressure you will gravitate in that direction

the structure of your brains that you were born with(or if you receive a head injury later that damages the brain) has a lot to do with how you behave. if you we're born with an amygdala smaller than 99,99% of people have, you will be, compared to them, more fearless, less empathetic, more psychopathic, and there's very little environment can do to change you, barring some straight out, full time pavlovian experimenting, and sometimes even that isn't enough. for example pavlov couldn't condition some of his dogs before he castrated them and starved them for two weeks. fuck you foucault
>>
>>7436967
why is my dick referring to your mom in first person?
>>
>>7436999
my mom's dead :(
>>
File: faglord.jpg (114 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
faglord.jpg
114 KB, 1440x1080
>>7436999
>>7436995
>>7436985
>>
>>7436996
>there's very little environment can do to change you
But sexuality has enormously important mental components. Have a fantasy/fetish? Into getting whipped, let's say? Is that just because your prefrontal cortex is a certain size, or is it because you're affected by complex conceptual construction of modern sexuality? It must be at least some of the later.
>>
>>7437010
This. If you were never exposed to certain ideas and things, your predispositions would never tilt you in a certain direction.
>>
>>7437010
I wasn't talking about sexuality anymore at that point, read the post again
>>
worst thread in catalog today
>>
>>7437024
Really? Why? I learned some stuff about Foucault and got book recs dealing with him.
>>
>>7437029
he's just a salty redpiller being mad people are talking about literature instead of taking his shitposts seriously
>>
>>7437024
are you mad that your reddit site is filled with pseuds and plebs?
>>
>>7436837
>reddit
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7436842
He's right though
>>
File: download.png (3 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3 KB, 224x225
>>7437151
>shitposting when the board is asleep
>>
>>7437154

Most modern reactionaries use continental philosophy in their arguments.

Fuckcult said everything is political and these bluepills are an obvious example of that taken to an logical extent.

The only retarded thing he said was he has "mixed feelings" because he disagrees with him.

stop being such a PC kek, whaaa I don't like what he thinks so EVERYTHING he says has to be wroooonggg :((((
>>
>>7436886
Biological determinism sounds 100% correct at first glance, obviously we are biological beings and thought is a physical process, but when you look closer it makes all sort of faulty assumptions, ironically like equality across same-race individuals or equality of one person over time, we are all heraclitean. Its impossible to go against your biology, but it is similarly impossible to know that biology, thus its not really "determined" to begin with.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 823x795) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 823x795
>this thread

This is honestly worse than most reddit discussion I've seen
>>
>>7436842
This is what happens when memes become sincere. Beware, friends: don't let your memes become your dreams.
>>
The Red Pill is so pathetic.
>>
>>7436937
Wear something sexy.
>>
funnier than that time when they tried to appropriate nietzsche, oscar wilde or jesus for their agenda
>>
>>7437286
>ironically like equality across same-race individuals or equality of one person over time
I have never seen these assumed
>>
>>7437304
t. woman
>>
>>7436914
Hi Searle.
>>
>mfw my view of sexuality is pretty greek.
I like putting my penis into vaginas, but sometimes I see a pretty guy whose anus I would not mind putting my penis into.
>>
>>7436914
I kind of agree. I read The History of Sexuality recently and basically it was pages of word salad nonsense and then suddenly a mind-blowing observation and repeat. I get that the "word salad nonsense" is actually setting up context and introducing terminology that is essential to understand his later observations and conclusions, but it's really badly written IMO.
>>
>>7437393
Me, I'm just so desperately insecure that I'll have sex with anyone who gives me attention. I really hate semen and kissing men though.
>>
File: 1445027524001.png (3 MB, 756x2480) Image search: [Google]
1445027524001.png
3 MB, 756x2480
>A misogynistic subreddit has better literary analysis than /lit/

How we've fallen
>>
>>7436837

Foucault was a degenerate with nothing of interest to say, like all continentals.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.