[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit,/ How are you keeping yourself philosophically engaged
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: ubermenschontour.jpg (91 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ubermenschontour.jpg
91 KB, 640x360
Hello /lit,/

How are you keeping yourself philosophically engaged with these dramatically shifting times of revolution, social unrest, and preeminent destruction of society as it is today by way of climate change?

I have given a lot of thought to Nietzsche's Ubermensch, and his overcoming through tragedy. Is there a finer philosopher to read through this new dawn?

What values do you think would be useful to hold onto in the storm? Are there any philosophers that you would suggest to read to help approach these times of calamity?
>>
>>7412899
>living with integrity
>not being a sense driven unconscious animal
>work towards accomplishing something that is greater than yourself in scope and effect
>observe philosophy in nature and yes you moron, this includes human civilization
>draw conclusions that relate the self and the other as an interconnected whole

That's all it fucking is. Just learn to discern what the fuck is Truth. Nobody can do any of this for you
>>
>>7412928
>things things are connected
woah buddy watch it with all them abstractions
>>
File: integrity.jpg (401 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
integrity.jpg
401 KB, 1425x1425
>>7412928
>living with integrity

What is integrity?

It's defined based on an unquantifiable amount of parameters that are constantly shifting.

You can't just tell someone to live by integrity and expect it to work. Just think of the first few things that come to mind when thinking of integrity.

- Doing the right thing
- Be a responsible adult
- Show courage

How shallow. How vague.
>>
>>7412948
Do you dumb down all new perspectives into a sarcastic 4chan post that your brain may digest it better or are you just willfully obtuse. Abstract thinking (without words) is a portal to higher order understanding and is an incredible human faculty.
>>
>>7412974

most profound thing ive read on 4chan today thanks a bunch,
>>
>>7412964
Integrity is consciousness. You reveal your own shallow and vague education when you automatically ascribe those things to the term. Integrity in the human being is living by a consciously predetermined self-ordained pattern, principle or ideal. It's a mode of being. Google the word "praxis" as that is the term that separates theorists from philosophers

>you can't just tell somebody to live by integrity and expect it to work

Have you tried?
>>
File: 00101011101.png (32 KB, 254x185) Image search: [Google]
00101011101.png
32 KB, 254x185
>>7412964

>It's defined based on an unquantifiable amount of parameters that are constantly shifting.

Yeah, hey, welcome to the universe. Get used to it.

>inb4 physical laws are constant

Nah, they aren't.
>>
>>7412964

Also, dude, you can't quantify parameters; they are what make the quantification of variables possible.
>>
>>7412991
>Integrity in the human being is living by a consciously predetermined self-ordained pattern, principle or ideal

Predetermined.

Predetermined how? Predetermined as in someone else put it there for you? As in you don't really know how it got there, but you have a responsibility toward it?

>self-ordained pattern

If it's self-ordained then how is it predetermined? Is it something that existed before you showed up, and then you just said 'oh hey I'm going to take this upon myself?'

Are revolutionary ideas, ideals, and philosophies incompatible with integrity based on any conflicts with so called predetermined patterns of ethics?
>>
>>7413000
Okay that's fine. I'll probably not remember that tomorrow, but I accept your authority on the matter.
>>
I've arrived at philosophical conclusions that will serve my purposes for the next few hundred or thousand years.
>>
>>7413017

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parameter

noun
Mathematics.
a constant or variable term in a function that determines the specific form of the function but not its general nature, as a in f (x) = ax, where a determines only the slope of the line described by f (x).
one of the independent variables in a set of parametric equations.
Statistics. a variable entering into the mathematical form of any distribution such that the possible values of the variable correspond to different distributions.
Computers. a variable that must be given a specific value during the execution of a program or of a procedure within a program.
Usually, parameters. limits or boundaries; guidelines:
the basic parameters of our foreign policy.
characteristic or factor; aspect; element:
a useful parameter for judging long-term success.
>>
>>7413032
Again...

>>7413017

with feeling.

feel·ing
ˈfēliNG/Submit
noun
an emotional state or reaction.
"a feeling of joy"
synonyms: love, affection, fondness, tenderness, warmth, warmness, emotion, sentiment; More
a belief, especially a vague or irrational one.
"he had the feeling that he was being watched"
synonyms: suspicion, sneaking suspicion, notion, inkling, hunch, funny feeling, feeling in one's bones, fancy, idea; More
adjective
showing emotion or sensitivity.
"he had a warm and feeling heart"
synonyms: sensitive, warm, warmhearted, tender, tenderhearted, caring, sympathetic, kind, compassionate, understanding, thoughtful
"a feeling man"
>>
>>7412928
Which is the most correct system which you should be abide by with "integrity?" The one that you're following, correct? I'm honestly curious which one that is?
>>
you niggers are literally why analytical philosophy is the only worthy philosophy

start doing some math and actually contributing or just die already you fucks

currently in math phd program at princeton, so i wouldn't know what it feels like to be a little cunt like you kids
>>
>>7413013
You miss the point entirely. You're grasping for some counterpoint and reach for semantics. Fine. I'll play along. I'll admit i was a bit redundant there

Predetermined in that it predetermines your own personal actions when faced with circumstances outside of your control - when you are reacting to something, you will consciously defer to your principle for the next course of thought or action.

Self-ordained in that yes, you take an idea upon yourself, and use it as a chisel to mold yourself. Whether it existed before you showed up or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is how you integrate it into your Praxis.

Don't obfuscate with theory. The process of becoming is practical. What I'm explaining to you isn't hard to understand. Embody a philosophy and Know it's value.
>>
>>7413059
>Embody a philosophy and Know it's value

gg sempai I bet that's how you get all the chicks
>>
>>7413048
No, one that YOU decide is correct for the vision YOU have for YOUR OWN LIFE. What's the point of living by "integrity" if you don't even know what you're trying to achieve/find/cultivate/know etc.
>>
File: Santa Marija Assunta.jpg (315 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Santa Marija Assunta.jpg
315 KB, 1200x1600
>>7412899
Be a Catholic

tyou are welcome
>>
>>7413051

Analytical philosophy is trash, sorry. Just a bunch of people that can't find an abstraction to believe in, so they just keep running in circles around the ones people tell them they should (logic).
>>
File: 1447072135647.png (312 KB, 389x386) Image search: [Google]
1447072135647.png
312 KB, 389x386
>>7412899
>these dramatically shifting times of revolution, social unrest, and preeminent destruction of society
What the hell are you on about, you fucking nerd?
We live in literally the most boring time since the French Revolution.
>>
>>7413408

Fun things are about perspective, trip fag
>>
>>7413408
you dead son
>>
>>7412899
We are living in a postmodernism wall ,that dont let anything out of it.
While postmodernism was reaction to positivism wall, the people today are childrens of it without understanding it.
I want to read Foucault to see the degree of this.
>>
>>7413408
Say wut?
Taken for granted you live in a western country, you seriously have to incorporate the future into your idea of the present, and how boring it is. The consequence of our boring ass lives are moving closer every day in a myriad of ways, and you probably won't live to see 60 unless Kurtzweil gets his way.

OP you have to read some speculative realism I guess. It's boardering pop-phil, but some of them, like Graham Harman, actually have some interesting ideas. Moreover, read Latour.
>>
With the power of economics and science

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/
>>
>>7413051
>i wouldn't know what it feels like to be a little cunt

you sure know how to act like one
>>
>>7413581
>slatestarcodex
>Barfed.
>>>/r/eddit/
>>
>>7413051
As someone who studies mathematics on his own outside of school, I would like to thank you for making me feel a lot better about myself.
>>
So many autists ITT

'be a man of principle, be awake in everything you do, do not lapse into harmful, unconscious patterns of behavior'

DEFINE GOOD . WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY UNCONSCIOUS? WHO DECIDES THIS PRINCIPLE FOR ME? WHAT IF IM WRONG?

you've been logic chopping so long in your head you've lost all touch with reality. Go the fuck outside you mong
>>
>>7413637
...why?
>>
>>7414184

Appeal to authority. Naturalistic fallacy
>>
>>7414445
Fallacy Fallacy
>>
>>7413575
>you probably won't live to see 60

what do you specifically have in mind ?
>>
>>7413408
>posts anime girl pictures
>is a tripfag
>has not just one shit opinion but MULTIPLE shit opinions in just three lifes

Please fuck off; unless you're some kind of elaborate ruseman.
>>
>>7413051
>analytical
>>
>>7415167
>anal
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.